• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommendations for cheap low light binoculars?

tt123

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2010
Denmark
I don't usually do that much hunting in low light conditions, but I was out looking for a fox last night. It was quite overcast and very soon after sunset I had problems making out much in the way of detail at all. About 10 minutes after sunset though, I spotted something out about 140m from me, I lifted the binoculars and saw that was a roe doe. She came a bit closer, then stopped and began to feed, so I kept watching her, as the light faded. After a bit though, curiousity got the better of me and I took a look at her through the rifle scope (an old Karl Kaps 2.5-10x56). Wow! It was like broad daylight, much better than the binos, and even the naked eye.

I've now obviously decided that I need some new binoculars with a better low light capability. Ideally these would have pretty decent glass, be at least 10x (my current ones are 12x), be reaonably sturdy (as my hunting gear gets well used), and not cost more than about 2500 Danish kroner (roughly 400 USD).

Anyone got any recommendations?

I would think something from the Athlon line, either the Ares or Midas 10x42 models would fill your needs.

Vortex also makes some okay binoculars in that price range!

​​​​​​​Both manufacturers have excellent warranties too.

I have the Vortex Diamondback 10x42 and love em. Great glass for the money, and good in low light. Water proof, fog proof, dust proof, with lifetime warranty.

Something in the Sightron SIII line might be found in your price range.
I have a pair of the older SIII's and they are very nice, you really have to go way up in price to beat them.
Another option is the Steiner Predator series.
Both of these are at the top of your price range, but well worth it.
Your price range is probably the sweet spot, high enough that you're getting good performance, after that you start to reach the point of diminishing returns. You end up spending a lot of money for small improvements.

What power was the scope on? Keep in mind you will gather more like with at lower power. I.E 2.5 will be brighter than 10. The Steiner predator is what I use. Bushnell also I am not sure if my dad got the M series or the L series, I doubt he would have sprang for the ultra HD, but they are pretty impressive for less than 200.

Good point, I hadn't thought about that. I can't honestly remember if I had it on 6x or 10x.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

I have a pair of Steiner 7x30s but I wanted more power and I ended up buying a pair of the Leupold Mk 4 10x50s Coyote coloured binoculars they are way better than the newer 10x42 Leupold Tactical binos The Mk 4's are great in low light but both pairs are built like a Tank.

John.

I really like my Nikon Monarch 7 10x42 binos. Bushnell Legend Ultra HD/ED 10x42's are also surprisingly good for the low price point. Zen Ray also puts out some impressive binos for the $ spent.