• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

recommendations for Cleaning kits and Chamber flags

jdm911

Private
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2018
I've looked for myself, but maybe you guys have links to some different stuff out there. Just looking for a variety of stuff to look at. Link me to what you guys are using out there.

I don't know if they sell it, but the cleaning kit that came with my SR25 is damn nice. Comes in a padded zippered case that holds all the stuff. By far the nicest one I've ever seen or owned. I paid the extra to get the bolt repair parts so they came in it too. Normally they come with a Dewey rod but mine came with a carbon fiber Tipton. Which was great actually, because in the shop I use mostly Dewey stuff and didn't have one of those. Love the Dewey stuff. They make a rod for everything from a .22 pistol to the M2. Handles spin on ball bearings. Their jags are the best and I've developed a liking for their Parker Hale jags now.

For a basic field cleaning kit, I have the usual stuff and use Dewey parts but I use a patch holder and not a jag. That's because I JB weld a Dewey adapter to a 1/4" nylon coated steel cable cut to length with a .5" stripped on one end to fit the adapter; it'll be a perfect fit and it'll last (I put one in the KAC kit so it can be used without a rod if need be). It's like a high end Otis kit more or less. Which I have also. I have one for the M4 and two .50 kits. Those are nice field kits if you don't wanna make your own. I get 'em from surplus stores for a good price.

But for at home, just go to Dewey's site and get ready to spend more than you figured, because they cover it all. They sell some kits though that can save you a decent bit if you don't have the parts. Like the AR kits and pistol kits. But you'll still find other stuff you want, like Parker Hale jags and 7.62 AR chamber mops.

Reactions: jdm911
Cleaning kit:
  • bore snake
  • CLP
  • dewey steel rod
  • jags and brushes
  • patches
  • tooth brush
  • rag

Chamber flag:

2 orange zip ties.
20150211.jpg

I've looked for myself, but maybe you guys have links to some different stuff out there. Just looking for a variety of stuff to look at. Link me to what you guys are using out there.

Are you thinking about keeping one in your pack? A solid rod SS 3 from Proshot http://www.proshotproducts.com/Universal-Kits_c_82.html add a 12 gauge shot gun brush and thread adapter for removing case head separations.

If you ever hunt/hike, or start shooting field matches it might be your very best bang for the $$. I've lent mine out more times than I can count from dropped gun barrel down, to stuck cases with more head separations than I every thought possible in matches.

Do not over clean until zero color comes out on the patches..

For home add to the suggestions (of rod, patches and Jag):

Reactions: jdm911
For a chamber flag I have been using a paracord bracelet that I made with orange paracord. I just run it threw the action and out the mag well!

I got this idea from a class at TDI Ohio and bought a bunch of this "belting" and use it ALL my chambers. A pistol slide can close on it and hold it in place for storage. I think it is technically belting that can be used for conveyor systems of some kind, if it was called chamber flag material it would cost 100x more =)

Link to product page:

Dewey or BoreTech on the rods.Im also hearing Montana Xtream makes some very good rods.

Last edited:
Cannot go wrong with Dewey rods, parker hale jags, and Boretech cleaning chemicals. Also Lucas Extreme Duty Grease is good on the lugs and oil for the bore.

BoreTech has pretty much all you need when it comes to cleaning:
or you can also get decent results with Breakthrough Clean Technologies:
However I prefer the BoreTech series it works like a charm.

For a chamber flag I mostly use the MagnetoSpeed Riflekühl which does double duty as a chamber flag and barrel cooler:
I've also got several Red Creedmoor Empty Chamber Indicators in my range bag, the curved indicators stay put real well
but this isn't the only brand that does so.

I run the bore tech rods .
Lyman bore guide
Nylon brushes
Thuroclean from Bullet Central works awesome

I carry a 3-piece brass rod at matches, for cleaning or stuck bullet scenarios

Also use of bore paste and kroil at times

The curved chamber flags are cheap I get a few at big matches and pass them out at the club matches