• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommendations for left handed factory bolt rifle

Baron23

Check 6
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 19, 2020
    Maryland
    I'm right handed so I have almost no idea what's available. My cousin lost sight in his right eye and wants to transition to shooting a left handed rifle.

So, I'm looking around for options for him. We are talking factory and for medium price (and yeah, I know that's vague but we aren't talking AI, Sako, or anything sold by Gunwerks! haha).

I see that Tika makes the T3x TACT A1 in left handed and it sells for around $2,200 which is manageable.

You wrong handed (haha) people...have any other good recommendations?

I have a left handed Tac A1. It’s an awesome rifle, but be prepared that there are way fewer aftermarket accessories available for left handed Tikkas vs M700-based actions.

Reactions: Baron23
    I shoot from both sides but mostly right handed. If it were me, I’d get the Savage Impulse.

The bolt handle is made to switch sides. Once you get use to it the manipulation of the bolt is almost 2nd nature.

I have the big game in 6.5CM but your cousin might like the predator version better. It takes AICS magazines but I saw one video in which the reviewer said it did like the MagPul very much but preferred MDT.

I got my trigger pull down to 2 pounds.

Also remember this. If he wants to sell the rifle or let someone else shoot it, he can put the bolt handle on the right side. This will make resale easier.

Check out gun broker. The have a lot of them for sale.

Here’s my review of the Impulse.

Post in thread 'Savage Impulse 1 year update'
    https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/savage-impulse-1-year-update.7124549/post-10742073

Thanks guys! I do appreciate all the replies.

I had mentioned Savage to him before and he has owned a Savage in the past.

I get it about limited after market stuff for a Tikka but that may be the ticket for him.

He’s not going to accessorize the heck out of it. Just as long as he can mount a scope and bipod to pic rails he’ll be happy, I believe.

I’ve never owned a Tikka. I believe they require proprietary magazines, correct?

In left hand models, I have had a few Remington 700s (LSSs and a BDL), a Weatherby Mark V, a Browning A-Bolt, and a Tikka T3X Superlite. I found sub-MOA loads for all but the A-Bolt. I think my Browning was a fluke as my brother’s mirror imaged RH A-Bolt was a shooter. I like the feel of the Remingtons in my hand best because of the flush BDL bottom metal and the rounded stock where I carry them. I like the weight and how well I consistently shoot the Tikka.

In left hand models, I have had a few Remington 700s (LSSs and a BDL), a Weatherby Mark V, a Browning A-Bolt, and a Tikka T3X Superlite. I found sub-MOA loads for all but the A-Bolt. I think my Browning was a fluke as my brother’s mirror imaged RH A-Bolt was a shooter. I like the feel of the Remingtons in my hand best because of the flush BDL bottom metal and the rounded stock where I carry them. I like the weight and how well I consistently shoot the Tikka.
    Thanks. I’m assuming your Rem is an older vintage…that is, before the private equity scum raped and sold it.

Not a rifle for hunting…strictly bench and some silhouette.

Thanks for the reply.

Reactions: Grubber
    I’ve never owned a Tikka. I believe they require proprietary magazines, correct?
    The cool rifles take Tikka’s CTR double stack mag and the not so cool ones take a chintzy plastic single stack mag.

Thanks but he’s not ready to pull the trigger. Still window shopping a bit and they are at a wedding today anyway.

But they have them as well as Europtics and they offer mil vet discount, I believe. I qual for that.

Thank you again for taking the time to PM me.

Cheers

Stephen

My son is a lefty. I consider a Tikka (I own 2 and love them). I went with a REM 700 platform just so he had more options with accessories and stocks ect. I had Bugholes build him a rifles, Origin action, Bartlein CF barrel, and put it in a KRG chassis. All in about $2500. Gun shoots great. No regrets. Just something to consider.

I'm lefty.. after long consideration of the subject, the only left handed rifle I'd consider at this point that isn't custom built is tikka, which I now have 2 (.22LR and .223). Anything else is custom because of lack of upgrade support, and I'll probably never buy anything remington.

We have a right handed Tikka that I'm pretty happy with. I have thought about buying one of those in a lefty. Last time I thought about it, I was not to far off a budget build with the ARC nucleus action

I just bought my son an MPA BA PMR II, left handed. We’ve shot about a 100 rounds through it and I really like this gun. Shoots great, folding stock, and I think reasonably priced. There are some great reviews on it also. I have quite a bit more money in my rifle than his and I like his just as much as mine, some things I like better.

I have several left handed Savage rifles and am happy with them. I will make one recommendation when it comes to Savage rifles, go with their heaver profile Varmint barrels. I won't own a Savage unless it has the Varmint barrel.

Before the Savage haters jump in. And yes there are a few here on the forum. My Model 12 FVL 308 does exceptionally well even with Norma Tac 150Gr FMJ as in it will shoot 3/4" groups at 100 yards all the time when I do my part. And my MkII BTVLSS does very well.

Now if you don't want a Savage, then look at what CZ or Tikka offers in left hand versions. One you get into custom actions/building your own rifle then the sky is the limit.

I just bought my son an MPA BA PMR II, left handed. We’ve shot about a 100 rounds through it and I really like this gun. Shoots great, folding stock, and I think reasonably priced. There are some great reviews on it also. I have quite a bit more money in my rifle than his and I like his just as much as mine, some things I like better.

Do you happen to know who actually OEMs that action? I see that the barrels are their own manf from their purchase of Spencer, but all it says for actions is "MPA Elite". Surely they are not manf actions from scratch...are they??? Says 3 lug, 70 degree throw.

Curtis, maybe?

Do you happen to know who actually OEMs that action? I see that the barrels are their own manf from their purchase of Spencer, but all it says for actions is "MPA Elite". Surely they are not manf actions from scratch...are they??? Says 3 lug, 70 degree throw.

Curtis, maybe?
    My MPA 6.5 is built on a Curtis action.

I love the old Remington 700 lh. Sadly the gunbroker crowd seems to think a $500 rifle is now $2k. If you’re willing to spend $900-$2000 they are good rifles.

As far as in production rifles. I like Tikka. Savage is ok. At least they cater to the leftys abit more.

Custom actions. I love my Zeus.

I have three browning left hand rifles. A browning a-bolt left hand youth model I picked up for my wife in 7-08, its .75 moa with her shooting it. We are both left hand shooters, I can get 1/2 moa with it.
    I have a left hand browning 6.5 cm x-bolt, its a tack driver, out to 400 yds its below 1/2" moa, at 100 yds its 3/8". its a long range model.
    I have a 6.5 prc x-bolt model, it too is a tack driver, better than the 6.5 cm. 1/4" at 100 yards, at 600 yards if I can predict the wind I can shoot 3/8" moa buts its not my strong suit. I changed the triggers in all three rifles. for a factory rifle they are very accurate.
    I have a couple savage left hand 110 actions and they are accurate but I have to be very careful cycling the action on them, its easy to stick a shell in them.
    Don't be afraid to check out the browning rifles, they have a very robust left hand line of rifles.

• Love
    A lefty t3x ctr 20" in 6.5 or 308

Not going to do much better than that for accuracy, reliability, versatility and aftermarket support. Serious diminishing returns spending more on a factory rifle.

Plenty of money left over for ammo. KISS approach

I hear the bergara hmr is good too but have no experience with them.

Curtis, maybe?
    I believe it might be Curtis as mentioned but I’m not 100% sure. It’s very smooth, I personally don’t know a lot about them but I like it so far. His gun has the weight kit in it and it just shoots and feels great to me. He was telling me Sunday I was shooting his gun better than mine. I have the MPA Matrix Pro, Impact Action, Bartlein barrel.

Thanks guys! I do appreciate all the replies.

I had mentioned Savage to him before and he has owned a Savage in the past.

I get it about limited after market stuff for a Tikka but that may be the ticket for him.

He’s not going to accessorize the heck out of it. Just as long as he can mount a scope and bipod to pic rails he’ll be happy, I believe.

If you use the stock bottom metal, you can also get Waters magazine from Australia, very nice and not cheap. If you put it in a different chassis you can use AICS mags for a short action. Long action is possible but the tikka LA is 3.56. MPA just had lefty tikka chassis's on sale.

Put me in the Tikka camp. My main hunting rifle is a Rem 700LH, but I have done a ridiculous amount of work on it - all of which could have been avoided by just going and buying a Tikka.

A good trigger, integral scope mounts, well machined action...... and cheap(ish).

The tikka action has a great aftermarket these days.
    You can literally replace everything on the rifle except the bare receiver with multiple different options.

@Baron23

Have you looked in the LH Sale section of the PX. There is a nice Tikka for sale
    Thanks Nik but this is going to be a slightly longer process before he pulls the trigger. He knows I’m going to make some formal suggestions to him based on the really great feedback I received in this thread.

Then When he makes up his mind, I’ll look for a deal in the PX or even Europtics who have a veteran program I qual for.

Thanks for looking out for me.

Look forward to catching up again w you in a couple of weeks. If we don’t communicate before then, travel safe.

Reactions: Nik H
    Like others have said. Tikka is the answer if he's going to leave it mostly stock. Replace the trigger spring with a $10 spring and it's actually very nice.

I went the Tikka route for both me and my son, but then got crazy and got prefit barrels, dropped them in XLR chassis, changed the trigger shoe, etc etc. and ended up having a bunch of money in them. I ended up parting them back out and going with Origins (LH and RH) for me and him.

So there are tons of options for Tikkas, but I don't think it's worth it to start by buying one new and customizing. If you have one already and then add to it, then that probably makes sense.

The CTRs do take their own mag, but they are reliable, and don't need to worry about tweaking them like I've had to do with just about every AICS mag I've had.

I would probably skip the Tac model though and go with a T3x CTR. If you really want a chassis, then replace the plastic stock with something different.

So, if he can keep it mostly stock then it's a good platform. If he's a tinkerer, then just start with an Origin. If he waits long enough then maybe the LH CDG's will be available and that would be another option.

Reactions: Nik H
    I would probably skip the Tac model though and go with a T3x CTR. If you really want a chassis, then replace the plastic stock with something different.
    Yep, this is looking like #1 on the list of options to give him....CTR then he can upgrade stock/chassis at a later date if he wishes.

He will not be customizing it or get into the "gear frenzy" that is so common among us here on the Hide! haha

And yes, I have already looked and there are a number of folks who sell a replacement spring to get pull weight down to something reasonable.

All good and thanks for the reply.

As a fellow lefty you don't have many choices. I would say tikka or bergara would be your best choices for a good factory rifle. The other thing you could do is hit gun stores hoping to find something used. I got lucky last year and stumbled upon a rem 700 22-250 with a h&s stock for 750, when I took it apart it even had a timney in it. You can also look on gunbroker but the prices are high.

As a fellow lefty you don't have many choices. I would say tikka or bergara would be your best choices for a good factory rifle. The other thing you could do is hit gun stores hoping to find something used. I got lucky last year and stumbled upon a rem 700 22-250 with a h&s stock for 750, when I took it apart it even had a timney in it. You can also look on gunbroker but the prices are high.
    Thanks! Tikka CTR will be my first suggestion along with the fact that he can upgrade the stock later.

Aside from the chassis, I believe that the only diff between the CTR and the T3x Tact A1 is the trigger. The CTR is single stage (and pull weight range can easily be lowered with a $10 spring) and the T3X Tact A1 is two stage. That is, the BA's are basically the same.

Big diff in price and I'll let him choose.

Thanks again.

Is he into blued or stainless? That matters with the tikka. Lefty ctr's in stainless aren't imported which sucks.

If you keep it oiled, it'll be fine. But note that if you don't Tikka blue isn't any better in rust resistance than any other blue.

personal experience

I bought the stainless ctr and a manners stock with a different bottom metal to run aics mags. There are so many stock & chassis options for the tikka that can use aics mags that I'd be hard pressed to believe you couldn't find an option that would fit your friends need and use those mags.

My memory sucks, but I believe @GBMaryland had been running an alternative mag option that was compatible with the factory mag set up if you didn't want to change from factory.

Having a longer lead time before making their decision is a bonus I'd say. It'll make it easier to handle the wait time that might be associated with getting the exact stock or chassis they want.

Hope you've been doing well

I bought the stainless ctr and a manners stock with a different bottom metal to run aics mags. There are so many stock & chassis options for the tikka that can use aics mags that I'd be hard pressed to believe you couldn't find an option that would fit your friends need and use those mags.

My memory sucks, but I believe @GBMaryland had been running an alternative mag option that was compatible with the factory mag set up if you didn't want to change from factory.

Having a longer lead time before making their decision is a bonus I'd say. It'll make it easier to handle the wait time that might be associated with getting the exact stock or chassis they want.

Hope you've been doing well
    Hello my friend - you going to be at Mifflin this year?

And yes, I believe that @GBMaryland had some beautiful (but $$) mags from that fella in AUS.

Best to you and yours.

So these guys make replacement mags for the T3X and T3.... as well as the T3X TAC A1 (which is basically the TRG-22 mag system)....

I had several of them and the worked quite well.

I have both the Bergara(300WM) and Tikka(6.5CM & 300WSM) in LH. I bought the Bergara thinking I would just drop a trigger in there and call it a day,(and eventually rebarrel for 300PRC) but with my rifles the Tikkas action is noticeably much smoother and the triggers way better out of the box (though my 6.5CM now has a KRG Midas trigger). If Bergara made a Premier in LH, I would consider it but the Tikkas are much nicer from the factory. If I had to do a R700 LH again, I would just start with a custom action. The CTR mags are more expensive but I like them better than the AICS since they don't hang as low and they feed smoother than any AICS mags I've had(I've always had to tune them a bit).

Hello my friend - you going to be at Mifflin this year?

And yes, I believe that @GBMaryland had some beautiful (but $$) mags from that fella in AUS.

Best to you and yours.
    Not currently. I had a work outage that was going to overlap too close to be able to know I could make it. So never got in line

If someone needs to cancel I believe I could easily fill their spot now though.

Not currently. I had a work outage that was going to overlap too close to be able to know I could make it. So never got in line

If someone needs to cancel I believe I could easily fill their spot now though.
    Reach out to Frank...he's filled some spot(s) recently with people not on the OG list. Look at the Mifflin thread and you will see it.

Cheers

Curtis, maybe?
    The Mpa elite is the ARC CDG