• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommendations for Shouldered Barrel for Origin Action

overmatch

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2023
USA
I'm putting together a 300BLK Subsonic Bolt gun with an Origin action. Can people suggest companies or gunsmiths that can best spin up what I'm looking for? This is largely a 300m and in backyard toy, but given I'll probably never shoot out the barrel, I'm willing to spend a little more if the juice is worth the squeeze.

Criteria:
- 8"-8.5" length
- Shouldered (no barrel nut crap)
- Chambered for 300BLK
- 5/8-24 muzzle thread with Sig/Q 25 degree taper
- Shouldered for Origin
- 1:7 twist (unless a coconut hits me in the head before ordering and I sway 1:5)
- Cerakoted black (if the smith or company doesn't offer coatings I can always do it locally but would prefer to avoid the extra trip)

Open to any feedback or suggestions, thanks.

Give Josh @bohem at Patriot Valley Arms a call. He can do that. I will give a little advice in that you might want to get that barrel blank yourself if you can as not a lot of smiths carry 7 twist .30 barrels. Send it in with the action.

Reactions: overmatch
Give Josh @bohem at Patriot Valley Arms a call. He can do that. I will give a little advice in that you might want to get that barrel blank yourself if you can as not a lot of smiths carry 7 twist .30 barrels. Send it in with the action.
Spoke to Josh for the first time last week for something else related to this project - great guy. In terms of getting a quality blank, who / where should I be looking and what sort of details do I need to be paying attention to?

Spoke to Josh for the first time last week for something else related to this project - great guy. In terms of getting a quality blank, who / where should I be looking and what sort of details do I need to be paying attention to?
Just get a good smith and a Bartlein or krieger and you're good. Blue Mountain and SPR are excellent and widely known to be excellent.

SPR/Bugholes is a good place to look for a blank. Took a look and the fastest Bartlein they have is an 8 twist and Kreiger is a 9. You can look for others.

SPR/Bugholes is a good place to look for a blank. Took a look and the fastest Bartlein they have is an 8 twist and Kreiger is a 9. You can look for others.

Appreciate the help! Bummer on the twist rate - 7 was really the slowest I wanted to go.

I was able to get a 300 BLK Criterion shouldered prefit for my TL3 from Northland Shooter Supply. 1:7 twist is the fastest they offer. Haven’t had a chance to shoot it yet, but looks like they did very clean work.

Last edited:
Also, Blue Mountain Precision does great work too - I sent a Bartlein blank to them and had it back in my hands 6 days after they received it. That was shipping from Utah to Ohio.

Also, Blue Mountain Precision does great work too - I sent a Bartlein blank to them and had it back in my hands 6 days after they received it. That was shipping from Utah to Ohio.
Don't see that Bartlein offers the twist I want. Will still give them a call, thanks