• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommendations, I can’t “work out”

TurboTrout

Two Star General
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2020
East Coast
So I need a “gym”

Problem is like math, in use it all the time, I like it, but I can’t do it for the sake of it.

Solve for X? Screw X, why do I care.
Now ballistics, or tack angles, I’m all about that.

Same with working out, push up, I can do like 10 and I’m done looking at the spot on the floor, now I can row a boat all day.

Any good whole body workouts (aside from swimming) for someone who wants to work out without doing mindless repetitive actions?

Reactions: sheepdog01
So I need a “gym”

Problem is like math, in use it all the time, I like it, but I can’t do it for the sake of it.

Same with working out, push up, I can do like 10 and I’m done looking at the spot on the floor, now I can row a boat all day.

Any good whole body workouts (aside from swimming) for someone who wants to work out without doing mindless repetitive actions?

Depending on where you live for finding a class, there is a routine called NIA. I was involved for 6-7 years and its one of the simplest, best, most fun workouts you can do. I went to the level of Blackbelt Instructor then kind of burnt out and drifted away. Works out every muscle in your body except your dick in an hour. Its, or was when I was involved, 90% females. The down side is that they are almost all liberals. If you can go, do the workout and leave, great...

NiaNow​

nianow.com

Nia is more than just a workout. It is a holistic fitness practice addressing each aspect of your life - body, mind and soul. Combining dance, martial arts and ...

Like Maggot said: ^^^ I would recommend some type of martial arts. Once you get into the basic training regiment there are a lot types of exercises you can do at home if you want. It will help you physically and mentally. (y)

If you've got a bike and about $1K for a smart trainer, I've been doing Zwift for the last 9 months and am still enjoying it.

I like Zwift and love cycling in general, but riding a stationary bike is nowhere close to "a full-body workout".

IMO, a complete workout plan includes elements of cardio (MetCon), resistance, and functional activity. For some people, rucking allows them to check all three boxes at once. My winter routine consists of about 60% lifting (with an emphasis on functional lifts, not stupid shit like spending a whole season targeting "inner chest") and 40% cycling (mix of indoor and outdoor). In the summer months, this changes to about 80% cycling and 20% lifting, and I'm a weak bitch with big legs and lungs by Thanksgiving.

The whole point is to move with exertion for about an hour per day. How exactly this is done doesn't really matter.

The stationary bike wouldn’t work out too well, it’s kinda the same as push up in its action without going somewhere, I’m also living on a cutter, so space is somewhat limited.

The martial arts sounds good, I briefly looking into a MMA gym, problem I had was the class wasn’t long enough and they were more about the art than the martial lol

Getting into something like MMA where I’ll get done and feel exhausted and learn some proper ass kicking would be sweet.

What are your goals? Weight loss? Building muscle? Not all workouts are built the same. I do 100 bar only squats and 100 push-ups a day and it seems repetitive but the results are nice. You definitely need to enjoy the process. Add some crunches and flutter kicks to break up the monotony.

Reactions: clcustom1911
I think we all have days where we don't want to work out. For maintaining interest, circuit training gets the nod from me. NOT Crossfit. Currently I am doing my own free weight circuit on lift days - fully body, no rest between lifts. A complete circuit is a set, and when completed without rest turn around and go after station #1 again. Mix it up. Drag, push, pull, lift. Forget the machines. Move in the 3D space.

Something to consider: take a look at what lifts and exercises engage the highest number of muscle groups. Those are the ones to pursue if you are looking for efficiency and efficacy in the gym. Think deadlifts. The book "Strength training anatomy" is a good reference for that sort of thing.

Setting a goal is what makes it interesting. My goals are not what Bench's or Bryant's goals are, mine are my own brand of OCD crazy. But for damn sure my goal isn't to just....sit and wither. If I want to be fit, gotta pay the fit bill. That bill wont get paid unless you know the goal.

Reactions: E. Bryant
Or just SWIM. You say youre living on a 'cutter'. Thats a ship or boat isnt it. Should be plenty of water. Swimming is about the best exercise you can get.

Kinda sounds like cross fit might be right up your alley. But they don’t call their joints “gyms”. It’s den or arena or...something.

if you are a solitary dude, the book Convict Conditioning by Paul Wade might be of interest.

CrossFit gyms are known as boxes. Such as "My local CrossFit box..."

While there are a billion CrossFit Kool-Aid drinkers out there....But, believe it or not, it DOES work and no, you will not get hurt if you check your ego and listen to your body. It's a great way to get all around decent shape. You'll be able to run, lift, push, pull etc. It's improved my quality of life and number on the weight scale :)

Wheel barrow and a shovel..... Chain saw and a splitting maul (firewood)....... Garden (raised beds and fill with garden soil) ..... Deer / elk hunting (without a 4 wheeler) ...... Fly fishing (wading and casting) ........ Shoveling snow for the old people in your area ....... Volunteer at Habitat for Humanity ..... The list goes on. but, you have to get up from the computer and put your IPhone away.

Hobo

There is nothing like thinking you are a bad ass at swimming only to see a really old dude lap you. He knows how to move in the water while the youngsters know how to fight the water. If I could go back I would be asking many questions, that was a lost opportunity.

I just saw you're living on a cutter.....Shipmate, go do 100 burpess a day down in the Bosun' hole! Do sprints back & forth on the flight deck(If it's a coast guard cutter). There's infinite fitness related things you can do on a cutter, underway or at port. Get creative. Pushups & squats while you're underway is a great way to help strengthen your core.

Reactions: TurboTrout
I just saw you're living on a cutter.....Shipmate, go do 100 burpess a day down in the Bosun' hole! Do sprints back & forth on the flight deck(If it's a coast guard cutter). There's infinite fitness related things you can do on a cutter, underway or at port. Get creative. Pushups & squats while you're underway is a great way to help strengthen your core.

Not that type of cutter, sailboat, midship mast, one mainsail, two head sails :)

What are your goals? Weight loss? Building muscle? Not all workouts are built the same. I do 100 bar only squats and 100 push-ups a day and it seems repetitive but the results are nice. You definitely need to enjoy the process. Add some crunches and flutter kicks to break up the monotony.

I’m happy with my weight and health and all, just continued improvement on speed and strength and all, I like to stay active and since I’ve been down in south florida I haven’t been as physically active as I was before I moved down here, didn’t think that would be the case, but it has been

Or just SWIM. You say youre living on a 'cutter'. Thats a ship or boat isnt it. Should be plenty of water. Swimming is about the best exercise you can get.

If I was in the keys, or off shore a bit sure, but I know what’s in the water here, that’s a hard nooope lol

• Haha
Reactions: 6.5SH and Maggot
Not that type of cutter, sailboat, midship mast, one mainsail, two head sails :)

I’m happy with my weight and health and all, just continued improvement on speed and strength and all, I like to stay active and since I’ve been down in south florida I haven’t been as physically active as I was before I moved down here, didn’t think that would be the case, but it has been
I’m from south Florida. Plenty good options there. If you’re anywhere near broward county you could hook up with running wild on Thursday nights for their weekly 5+k beer run along the beach. I used to go every week with a friend and about 100 other runners. Sponsored by funky Buddha so free beer at the end to carb up.

If you want to check out south Florida tactical athletes, that’s a good option, two running/calisthenics days and two pool days doing surface and sub surface. I trained with them a while and loved every second. They are special operations prep program put together by an army SF colonel, a pj, and two force recon dudes. It’s as close to the real deal training. Spendy though...

That sounds rad.
It was! I was the old guy but was doing quite well hanging with the young guys. Like pool side flutter kicks with water filled masks and them pouring water in our mouths as we counted out. 50 meter underwaters, lots of buddy breathing, 10 ups, and drown proofing. I loved it and if I still lived there would still be doing it.

I’m the same way and lived aboard boats when I was the oldest kid in a family of 6 so I know your issues. Get a kayak or canoe and do lots of sightseeing.. Find something to fish for on the bottom in deep water.. If you have mountains close by then go snowshoeing.. chop firewood.. dig a pandemic shelter in the woods. Fill it with water and supplies.. remember the further off the beaten path the better.. be on top whenever you do it.. or switch hands

Think I’ll try a demo at these two and see where it goes?

Reactions: SamsonSimpson
So I need a “gym”

Change your approach. once your mind and body get into it, you will start to hate missing your training days.

pick a routine that hits one or two body parts a day. Pic two or three movements of that body part and three or four sets of each. One week heavy weight low reps, next week low weight with high reps. your entire visit might take you 30 minutes. Force your self to go m,w,f.

do this for two months and you will find it easier to stay longer and the repetitive feeling will disappear. Get through this stage and start advancing after that.

I'm in good shape and all, but is this something where if you cant already run a mile at the speed of a Porsche 911 I'll get my ass kicked?
You will get smoked. Forward leaning rest for a long time, muscle ups on the gunnel x100. It’s definitely a challenge.

By far I was the slowest guy. About a 9 min mile. But I’m a big guy 6’3 and 235 so that didn’t help. It is meant to get people in shape for special operations and they have a great success rate. It is challenging, but I was 33 years old and had lost 150 pounds three years prior and I was successful in my progress with them.

Honestly I would call or email Col. Stocker and pick his brain about what you want to do and see if it will be a fit. From what I understand they’ve opened to doors to people who just want that style of training, whereas before it was selective for people going into special operations.

A lot of underwater knot tying and laps on pool days and good bit of cals on the land days. It’s really well rounded.

Find yourself a good boxing class. You don't have to spar, if you don't want to. 3-5 days a week will do wonders for your body and mind.

Reactions: jbrand11
Be careful with the BJJ and MMA. Very easy to cause damage that you will regret later in life . And the fitness routines for them are endless push ups , burpees , pull ups , crunches and running .

Grab a compass, map, and your ranger beads. Slap on a 80lb ruck. And go scout hunting areas and practice your land nav

I agree with this too. Grab you a pack and some kit and head out to big cypress. Turner river or deep lake are awesome for that kinda stuff. I hunt deep lake for turkey and deer and it’s picturesque for land nav and field craft stuff. Take a pistol for sure. Lotsa panthers running round there nowadays. I almost had to shoot one 3 years ago during Turk season. My bud crapped his pants lol.

I agree with this too. Grab you a pack and some kit and head out to big cypress. Turner river or deep lake are awesome for that kinda stuff. I hunt deep lake for turkey and deer and it’s picturesque for land nav and field craft stuff. Take a pistol for sure. Lotsa panthers running round there nowadays. I almost had to shoot one 3 years ago during Turk season. My bud crapped his pants lol.
Also get a pcp air rifle and hand pump. Great for turkey and deer. You’ll like it.

Grab a compass, map, and your ranger beads. Slap on a 80lb ruck. And go scout hunting areas and practice your land nav

Good advice. Might start with just a touch lighter ruck for newbies (like, maybe a water bottle and light snack), and work up according to fitness. But walking/hiking with resistance is pretty damn useful.

Reactions: Tchitcherine
This part of the year I live twice a day. Big workout in the morning, something small in the afternoon. I just like being able to forget about everything other than what I am trying to move. Good for the mind. Once you see it as a way to concentrate only on being good to yourself, you might like it more.