• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Recommendations - Scope for Tikka T3x CTR 6.5 Creedmoor

MAG00

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2012
NE Texas
I've got a Tikka T3x CTR 6.5 Creedmoor coming and would like to hear some recommendations for scopes. I'm open to most brands. Brand I've used the past or are currently using on other rifles are Leupold, SWFA, Zeis Conquest, and a couple of my late Dad's rifles have Swarovski.
  • Use of rifle is hunting and for fun long range shooting (not competitive).
  • Most likely prefer 30mm tube.
  • Mil-Dot recticle but not required.
  • Budget of about $750.

Reactions: BigBlastin300win
That's a tough budget. I recommend saving a few more pennies and going with a Vortex Viper PST Gen II 5-25X50 FFP. (Get a hold of @LibertyOptics on here for the best price) I use mine for the same purpose(s). I enjoy it, it works well. Last 2 shots out of it yielded 2 blacktail deer. One was at 602 yds. and the other was at 380 yds.

20201014_145917.jpg

Last edited:
Highly recommend reaching out to Doug. Cameraland NY sells more scopes than just about anyone to this group. Mention that you are a hide member.

Well SWFA is having a demo blowout right now. You can get a 5x20 HD scope for $900. I have bought scopes from their sample list before and they are generally in excellent shape. SWFA also generally has some pretty good Black Friday deals if you're willing to wait a couple of weeks. Might also take a look at their sample list for other name brand scopes. Same for Eurooptic, as you can save some money and get scopes that are virtually new.

Since you own at least one SWFA scope already you know what you're going to get. Glass is decent and the scopes are pretty rugged.

What hunting are you planning to do?
A Tikka CTR isn't really the go to hunting rifle for most guys but a 20" barrel version could make for a nice crossover rifle.

For $750 a Vortex PST G2 would be a great option but maybe not the best for hunting. A Steiner p4xi or Bushnell LRTS could also suit.
If more hunting is on that cards rather than target shooting a Vortex LHT or Leupold VX5hd would be worth considering.

I’ll second the Px4i and the LRTS near this price point. I have both from Doug at cameraland and both are excellent! The glass in the LRTS is better but the field of view in the Steiner is incredible. The tracking is perfect on both.

That's a tough budget. I recommend saving a few more pennies and going with a Vortex Viper PST Gen II 5-25X50 FFP. (Get a hold of @LibertyOptics on here for the best price) I use mine for the same purpose(s). I enjoy it, it works well. Last 2 shots out of it yielded 2 blacktail deer. One was at 602 yds. and the other was at 380 yds.

View attachment 7468361
Love the stock on this- what brand/color combo?

• I know my budget may have been a little low. I'd be willing to bump up to $850 maybe $900 to possible open up more options.
  • I personally am not familiar with Athlon Optics. What is ya'lls feedback on them?
  • I've looked at Vortex for some time and they seem to have a good rep.
  • I've used Leupold on several rifles for many years. They've always seem to have a good line in the mid price hunting range (my opinion).
  • No particular reason, but I've never really looked that hard at Bushnell. Can't tell you why.
  • Any thoughts on Burris or Sig?
Here are a few deals I found. Any thoughts on these or others you'd recommend with similar features and price range?
  • Burris RT-15 Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 3-15x 50mm Side Focus 1/10 Mil Adjustments First Focal SCR-2 Reticle Matte $599
  • Athlon 4.5-27x50 Ares BTR Gen 2 30mm Riflescope Matte, Illuminated APRS5 MIL, Target Knobs, Side Focus, 1/p $850
  • Sig Sauer 4-16x44 TANGO4 30mm Riflescope Black, Illuminated DEV-L MRAD, Side Focus, 0.1 MRAD Adj $699
  • Vortex Optics Viper PST Gen II Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 3-15x 44mm 1/10 Mil Adjustments RZR Zero Stop Side Focus First Focal Illuminated EBR-7C MRAD Reticle Matte $899
  • Bushnell Forge 3-18x50 FFP Deploy Mil Black MRAD Exposed Locking Turrets w/ Zero-Stop Riflescope RF3185BF2 $899
  • Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 EBR-1 Riflescope PST-416F1-M EBR-1 reticle - MRAD - First Focal Plane $450
  • Vortex Viper PST Gen II 5-25x50 EBR-2C MRAD Scope PST-5258 $699
  • Vortex Viper PST Gen II 5-25x50 EBR-2D MRAD (FFP) PST-5257 $799
  • Steiner P4Xi 4-16x56 SCR Riflescope + Scopecoat 11XP05 Flak Jacket Bundle 5221SC $969
  • Leupold 4.5-14x50 VX-3i LRP $999
  • Burris 3-15x50 XTR III 34mm $899
  • Burris 4-20x50 XTR II 34mm $999

Last edited:
All of those scopes will likely be cheaper in a couple of weeks for Black Fri/Mon. The XTR2 was a 3-15 and the XTR3 is a 3.3-18. I was not impressed with XTR2 glass, but the XTR3 glass looked much better to me, so definitely see which version they're selling. I believe clicks and travel were also improved for the III. If it's the III, I might put that at the top of the pack.

Athlon>Vortex/Sig/Burris for me. P4Xi is supposed to be great, but I've never looked through one. Bushnell, I've only had Japanese versions, so can't comment on the Forge, and the Leupold LRP never did anything special for me.

So, from your list, I like XTR3 (if 3), P4Xi, Athlon. Suggest the Meopta Optika6 again as well (34mm), as it seems to punch above its weight, and I'd definitely put it above the Athlon.

I got a Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3-15x44 Mrad EBR-2c (older reticle) on my T3x Tac A1. I wouldn't take that rifle hunting, way too heavy. I dont hesitate to put that scope on my T3x Lite 7mm RemMag for hunting and long range precision (because I do 🤣😂).

Euro optics has the Vortex LH 3-15 on sale, and it is a great scope for the money. It is a good fit for a hunter/target gun.

What rings would you recommend given this specific rifle (comes with picatinny base from factory) and if using one of the following?:
  • Athlon 4.5-27x50 Ares BTR Gen 2 30mm
  • Vortex 3-15x44 Viper PST Gen II 30mm
  • Steiner P4Xi 4-16x56 SCR 34mm

Alright, so if I raised my budget to $1,200 are there any particular scopes that would come into play that you'd recommend?

If 1200 you could get a Cronus... Cameraland just had them on special for 1150. Preferences for reticle and magnification range could also narrow the field.

Reactions: Codiekfx400
Cronus or ETR depending on what reticle you prefer and can find at that price point.

You'll want a 20 MOA mount or rail and zero MOA mount. I prefer the 20 MOA rail and zero MOA rings. But that's more for aesthetics for me.

I have just been messaging with gr8fuldoug and he mentioned the Cronus. Looked it up and then looked up review on here. I liked what I saw. If I go this route...given the Tikka T3x CTR 6.5mm rifle comes with the picatinny base from the factory, what rings would you run with this scope? Would you use the picatinny base it comes with or do something different?

If 1200 you could get a Cronus... Cameraland just had them on special for 1150. Preferences for reticle and magnification range could also narrow the field.

Agreed on the Athlon Cronus from Doug.

What rings would you recommend given this specific rifle (comes with picatinny base from factory) and if using one of the following?:

On the standard CTR rail you will need at least 1" high rings for a 56mm objective scope.
My CTR has a Delta Stryker with 1" Burris rings and there is only about 2 or 3mm of clearance.

You could likely get away with .875 height for a 50mm and .75 for a 44mm.
I managed to run a PST 5-25x50 on my T1x with .82 high rings but it was very close and the T1x barrel is thinner than a CTR.

I have just been messaging with gr8fuldoug and he mentioned the Cronus. Looked it up and then looked up review on here. I liked what I saw. If I go this route...given the Tikka T3x CTR 6.5mm rifle comes with the picatinny base from the factory, what rings would you run with this scope? Would you use the picatinny base it comes with or do something different?

The Chronus on the factory 0moa rail should give you about 16mils elevation, this should be enough to get you to 1300m, adding a 20moa rail should get you out to 1500m.

Another vote for the Meopta Optika6 line of scopes. You don't need to spend a $1200 to get a quality scope. FFP or SFP , 30 or 34mm tube, check them out. There's a reason they sell out so quickly.

^^I have those and do not recommend. They torque to my rail differently each time, shifting POI left/right by FEET at 100 yds. Once set and torqued down, they are fine, but if I have to remove the scope, it will waste ~10 rounds and a range trip getting it zero'ed again.

^^I have those and do not recommend. They torque to my rail differently each time, shifting POI left/right by FEET at 100 yds. Once set and torqued down, they are fine, but if I have to remove the scope, it will waste ~10 rounds and a range trip getting it zero'ed again.

fair, i just never take mine off. But valid point.

Can confirm I have found this the case also, maybe not feet but certainly 3 or 4 mils horizontally.
Not an issue if you never intend on removing the scope though.

• I know my budget may have been a little low. I'd be willing to bump up to $850 maybe $900 to possible open up more options.
  • I personally am not familiar with Athlon Optics. What is ya'lls feedback on them?
  • I've looked at Vortex for some time and they seem to have a good rep.
  • I've used Leupold on several rifles for many years. They've always seem to have a good line in the mid price hunting range (my opinion).
  • No particular reason, but I've never really looked that hard at Bushnell. Can't tell you why.
  • Any thoughts on Burris or Sig?
Here are a few deals I found. Any thoughts on these or others you'd recommend with similar features and price range?
  • Burris RT-15 Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 3-15x 50mm Side Focus 1/10 Mil Adjustments First Focal SCR-2 Reticle Matte $599
  • Athlon 4.5-27x50 Ares BTR Gen 2 30mm Riflescope Matte, Illuminated APRS5 MIL, Target Knobs, Side Focus, 1/p $850
  • Sig Sauer 4-16x44 TANGO4 30mm Riflescope Black, Illuminated DEV-L MRAD, Side Focus, 0.1 MRAD Adj $699
  • Vortex Optics Viper PST Gen II Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 3-15x 44mm 1/10 Mil Adjustments RZR Zero Stop Side Focus First Focal Illuminated EBR-7C MRAD Reticle Matte $899
  • Bushnell Forge 3-18x50 FFP Deploy Mil Black MRAD Exposed Locking Turrets w/ Zero-Stop Riflescope RF3185BF2 $899
  • Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 EBR-1 Riflescope PST-416F1-M EBR-1 reticle - MRAD - First Focal Plane $450
  • Vortex Viper PST Gen II 5-25x50 EBR-2C MRAD Scope PST-5258 $699
  • Vortex Viper PST Gen II 5-25x50 EBR-2D MRAD (FFP) PST-5257 $799
  • Steiner P4Xi 4-16x56 SCR Riflescope + Scopecoat 11XP05 Flak Jacket Bundle 5221SC $969
  • Leupold 4.5-14x50 VX-3i LRP $999
  • Burris 3-15x50 XTR III 34mm $899
  • Burris 4-20x50 XTR II 34mm $999

If you are comfortable with MIL I have seen the Burris XTR-II 4-20 for about $650 on sale from time to time, if you want to deal hunt. They are excellent at that price point.

Glad I'm not the only one with that ring issue. Called Burris when I first got them and they played dumb.

Agreed on the Athlon Cronus from Doug at Cameraland. He is also smokin fast on the shipping!

I just got another Cronus Btr from Doug, awesome scope for the money, I like it better then the Razor 2 which costs alot more, Just as good of resolution and I think it is slightly brighter. and Yes, I have had them both side by side,the Razor 2 needs to be dropped in it's price by atleast $800 because it is not worth it. if I was going to pay that much as vortex sells it for, I'd take a Nightforce Atacr over the Razor 2 hands down.

I love my cronus scopes, I have three now thanks to the recent sale doug. :) That being said I prefer my Bushnell LRHSi for hunting.

Please send me info on that DIY how-to!

Well this is how I did it. First off I gave it a quick wipe down with acetone or brakekleen to remove any oils present so it would promote maximum adhesion of the matte black rubber peel coat. I used masking tape to cover the inlet / barrel channel and the recoil pad (or just take it off). Then I hung it up on a wire and applied the black peel coat, one light coat at a time until the entire can was gone. You can try different distances for different textures with this also. It can lay down relatively smooth (closer) or more orange peel / spackled type look (further away). Then let dry for an hour or so.

After that, I shot the marbleizing spray on an old piece of plywood with varying passing speeds to get an idea of how it will lay down. When you get what you are looking for remember it, and do the same only with the stock in front of it.

If you are not happy with it at this point, you can and are able to peel it all off and start again to get the desired look you want. That's part of the beauty of it. You can't screw it up for good.

If you are happy with it, then finish with the krylon acrylic clear in flat. I believe I used most of the can here as well. Many light coats. Let dry in between coats. It creates a strong, tough barrier and will help resist scratches and scuffs but will still leave a pretty decent texture that I like for grip and overall feel of the stock.

20190531_173335.jpg

20190516_220431.jpg
20190516_220357.jpg

Hawkins rings are excellent.

I recently acquired a Tikka 3x Lite in 7-08. Scoped it with a Swaro Z3 2.5-10x42 with a plex reticle. Mounting is via a Recknagel rail and Recknagel rings. Trigger adjusted to crisp 2.5 lbs. Scope and mounting are very solid and I recommend them for the 3x Lite.

Reactions: Rocky59
Looking to put a vx5hd, shv, lx3i, mark 5 on the Ctr 6.5cm 20" I have trying to find something used in the $1k range. Want weight reduction more then anything. Love NF but shit is way too heavy

A few more scopes would like to get feedback on.
  • Bushnell Elite Tactical XRS II 4.5-30x 50mm 34mm Side Focus 1/10 Mil FFP G3 reticle, Illuminated - $1,150
  • Leupold 4.5-14x50 VX-3i LRP CCH 30mm Side Focus FFP - $1,000
  • Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3-15x 44mm 30mm 1/10 Mil RZR Zero Stop Side Focus FFP Illuminated EBR-7C MRAD Reticle - $700-$900
  • Meopta Optika6 3-18x50 FFP (not sure on reticle; suggestions?) - $700-$800
  • Meopta Optika6 4.5-27x50 FFP (not sure on reticle; suggestions?) - $800-$850
  • Meopta Optika6 5-30x56 RD FFP - Mil-Dot 3 (not sure if 5 power is low enough for hunting purposes) - $850-$950
  • Bushnell Elite Tactical LRTS 4.5-18x44mm Flat Dark Earth FFP G3 (don’t really care for the color but seems like a good deal) - $750

Reactions: BigBlastin300win