• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommendations Wanted: Range backpack/match bag/gear bag

cdeiglmeier

The Tooth Fairy
Supporter
Minuteman
May 2, 2017
Issaquah, Washington
What is your guys go to backpack to carry all of your range/match/gear? Looking for a do-it-all bag. Something I can use to bring to matches to pack around everything, something to bring to the range etc. Needs to be able to fit Tripod, binos, ammo, tools, IFAK, Magnetospeed (if going to the range for load dev.), extra clothes for weather, etc. I'm looking at Eberlestock. Any recommendations? Any other brands to check out?

Reactions: Timetoshoot
The Eberlestock is ok but in my experience it doesn't distribute weight very well and the fit isn't the greatest if you're over 5'8". I've had the GS II, Phantom, and a Just One but I'm down to just the GSII now, mainly because I like the internal organization. That being said I tend to prefer my Eagle Industries 3-day pack because it's lighter and more comfortable but I can still carry everything I need. I use different zippered storage pouches with the Eagle pack to keep things relatively organized.

Doing it all over again I'd be running a Mystery Ranch 3-Day Assault Pack, one day when I stop buying ammo, guns, and scopes I'll pick one up.

Reactions: cdeiglmeier
I use a backpack designed for photography.
I love it compared to the generic and or tactical bags

I would personally look at Kifaru, Stone Glaicer or Mystery Ranch. Preference being a Kifaru shape charge with a Sherman pocket. Your desire to want to carry a magneto speed box in there will require you to get a bigger pack than you need in my opinion. For as little as you would use it, that would not be a factor for me.

I ended up with a Eberlestock X31 LoDrag II which I got over the GS II since I wanted a bit more compartments for miscellaneous shit. And I wanted it to hold my rifle as I don't like carrying both a rifle bag and a backpack.

I followed their fitment video on how to adjust everything and it fits well, I had 43lbs on me.

Don't like the old molle pouches from my previous use, will probably add on one of the eberlestock matching accessory pouches...

1586042297278.png

1586042314887.png

1586042336528.png

1586042357219.png

I would personally look at Kifaru, Stone Glaicer or Mystery Ranch. Preference being a Kifaru shape charge with a Sherman pocket. Your desire to want to carry a magneto speed box in there will require you to get a bigger pack than you need in my opinion. For as little as you would use it, that would not be a factor for me.

Will take a look at Kifaru. Never heard of them before so I'll take a look and see. I like to have everything in one bag when I go to the range or to a match. Less shit to carry. I'll put a little more weight on my back if that means my hands are free to do whatever and not carry anything.

Reactions: BEJ762
Completely forgot Arc'teryx made packs. Will definitely take a look!

I have the Khard 30, the precursor to their Assault Pack series. It's bullet proof, been to 6 continents with me. Very well designed, lots of smart features and it's very, very durable/well made.

My wife has the newer Assault 30, and that pack is a better version of mine. It's lighter and has better waist straps, but overall same smart design and bullet proof build.

They are pricey at full price, but there's sales every once in a while at places like Tactical Distributors. I got mine for 30% off.

I ended up with a Eberlestock X31 LoDrag II which I got over the GS II since I wanted a bit more compartments for miscellaneous shit. And I wanted it to hold my rifle as I don't like carrying both a rifle bag and a backpack.

I followed their fitment video on how to adjust everything and it fits well, I had 43lbs on me.

Don't like the old molle pouches from my previous use, will probably add on one of the eberlestock matching accessory pouches...

Looks like a nice setup! what molle pouches you have on the outside of it? Looks pretty close to how I would setup mine. Well how I have it envisioned right now.

any experience with the Phantom Sniper Pack? As much as I hate the "tacti-cool" name of it, it's definitely a contender right now but don't know how much bigger it is compared to the LoDrag II.

Looks like a nice setup! what molle pouches you have on the outside of it? Looks pretty close to how I would setup mine. Well how I have it envisioned right now.

any experience with the Phantom Sniper Pack? As much as I hate the "tacti-cool" name of it, it's definitely a contender right now but don't know how much bigger it is compared to the LoDrag II.

I got some random molle from Amazon, 5.11 6x6 med pouch that fits my binos perfectly. I'm looking at

Which will fit my binos + 3 other little pockets probably to hold a kestrel, pens, misc little things... and most importantly actually match the color of my pack :p

And no experience with the Phantom pack sorry.

Last edited:
I have owned the Eberlestock HiSpeed II and Mystery Ranch 3-Day Assault. The quality of both is excellent, but I prefer the Mystery Ranch open storage system more. I hated digging through 4 different compartments on the Eberlestock. My 3-day assault might be a little big now that I have trimmed down my gear a bit. The 2 day assault should do the job.

These are on sale right now for $40 Shipped. High quality but chineese made like half the stuff named in this thread. Even Mystery ranch is offshore stuff now.

I have the Gunslinger 2 and honestly, prefer a nice 3 day pack instead. Have about 20 rucks and packs and these suckers cannot be beat for the money.

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I have a G3 Phantom. Was looking for an all purpose pack for range/hunting/camping/PRS/get-home pack. Buy once, cry once and I only had money for one pack. Originally had my eye on a Gunslinger II, but saw this one for sale used at about half price. Glad I got it because I like it better. Only been on a couple short walks with it so far, but it seems comfy. I also like that you can separate the frame/scabbard from the main pack and use one or the other. Straps on the main pack are not as comfy but serviceable. Inside the main pack has a divider that can be folded out of the way. Rain fly unzips out of the bottom. Plenty of room for all the stuff you need and a few things you don't. I have cleaning gear, binos, data books, rifle tools, a magnetospeed, a collapsible cook pot with a solo-stove inside it, ammo, IFAK, and the other usual suspects in it. An e-tool and a small axe hang on the outside along with some spare aics mags in a couple SR-25 pouches. I feel like I've barely scratched the surface of what it can carry. Suffice it to say I'm very happy with it so far.

I went with a Kifaru Xray. There's enough space to carry what you need for a match or range trip. Also have a look at Hill People Gear.

Check out a kifaru with a gun bearer.

US made and they carry very well. Personally use a 14r with a gun bearer for a range bag. They have a lot of options.

My vote is with Kifaru too. Far more comfortable than Eberlestock, bombproof, and made in the USA.

Lots of different pack sizes and layouts so you can choose one that fits your way of packing for the range or match.

Like Lawnboi, I find the 14r works for me ... but there have been a few new small packs since then.

They actually have four options of how to carry rifles - I just listed them and put links to relevant videos in this thread: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/eberlestock-j107m-or-equivalent.7004256/