• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommended 10/22 Barrel??

sawgunner2001

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Ordered a DA Mask in 11/2020. Needed to order a threaded barrel for my 10/22. Researched and decided on an FJ Feddersen 18” fluted/threaded barrel and placed the order. It’s been on back order now for several months. I’m getting close to giving up on it, canceling the order, and going another direction. Is Kidd the next best value? They’re kinda spendy... Or do I simply wait for the back order?

Rifle use: Accurized plinking & pest control (squirrels). No competition, NRL, etc.

Do you have any preference to the ammo you will be using?

I have 2 Feddersen sporter contour 16.25" barrels and am very pleased with them. They will shoot under 1" at 75 yards with a decent lot # of CCI SV and a Q El Camino.

I have recently received a 16.25" bull barrel from them but have not yet had the chance to test it. It will be several more months before I get around to that. I had emailed Feddersen and they recommended the 16.25" over the 18" . This is from their reply "Our 16.25” has been slightly outshooting our 18” over the last few years, so that would be my recommendation." It is in reference to a threaded bull barrel, non-fluted. I had placed the order in the end of February and received it beginning of March.

From what I have read, it seems that the Feddersen barrels aren't as ammo sensitive as Kidd. I made that comment over at RFC and got chastised for it.

Have you tried calling Feddersen to see when they are going to be producing more?

Reactions: JKW70 and BAMCIS
Do you have any preference to the ammo you will be using?

I have 2 Feddersen sporter contour 16.25" barrels and am very pleased with them. They will shoot under 1" at 75 yards with a decent lot # of CCI SV and a Q El Camino.

I have recently received a 16.25" bull barrel from them but have not yet had the chance to test it. It will be several more months before I get around to that. I had emailed Feddersen and they recommended the 16.25" over the 18" . This is from their reply "Our 16.25” has been slightly outshooting our 18” over the last few years, so that would be my recommendation." It is in reference to a threaded bull barrel, non-fluted. I had placed the order in the end of February and received it beginning of March.

From what I have read, it seems that the Feddersen barrels aren't as ammo sensitive as Kidd. I made that comment over at RFC and got chastised for it.

Have you tried calling Feddersen to see when they are going to be producing more?
My Fedderson 16.5 just plain shoots.
For 1/2 the price of a Kidd,,all my other parts are Kidd.

Reactions: Gary Paugh
I have a Kidd lightweight and love it...

Dont forget to check out Green Mountain, my stainless 920 GM bull barrel shoots sub moa @ 50, great company, great cost. My Kidd bull shoots sub moa at 50 as well, but its like comparing apples to oranges, the Kidd is fluted and threaded, it also hold better groups at 200 than the GM, I would buy a GM barrel again after shooting the one I have.

Carl

I've got 2 18" Feddersen barrels, no complaints at all. Shoots good groups with anything I load up. Grandson loves to do mag dumps with the cheapo ammo and still gets decent groups. LOL

Reactions: dash4cash
They do have those barrels with the sights available from stock, maybe something to consider. I got a 16.25 barrel earlier this year, I was amazed at how well it shoots. Extremely happy with it.

I have used KIDD and volquartsen, and I had better results from the KIDD. If you are doing the barrel install yourself, it will require a temperature thermal fit. Fun stuff 🙂 sounds like you have a nice little shooter coming together.

Ordered a DA Mask in 11/2020. Needed to order a threaded barrel for my 10/22. Researched and decided on an FJ Feddersen 18” fluted/threaded barrel and placed the order. It’s been on back order now for several months. I’m getting close to giving up on it, canceling the order, and going another direction. Is Kidd the next best value? They’re kinda spendy... Or do I simply wait for the back order?

Rifle use: Accurized plinking & pest control (squirrels). No competition, NRL, etc.
For accurized plinking and pest control, I highly recommend the Kidd Ultralight Weight threaded, 16.25". Shoots CCI, SK, and Lapua well. It is accurate as my bolt gun with the Titan 22 spike stock and weighs ~8 lbs with a target scope and bipod. It is around 6 lbs in the hunting configuration.
YMMV, happy shooting.

Reactions: Moose
I have a Kidd 20 in stainless bull barrel fluted, Kidd 16.5 lightweight and a Green Mountain 18 stainless bull barrel. They all shoot very well out to 100. Very impressed with the GM for the price. I haven't tested on paper at 200 yet. I like the Kidd barrels, but GM is a great value.

Reactions: bwall57
Whatever you decide on, just don't get a Tactical Solutions, I really like there X-Ring receivers, but there barrels do not shoot well, I'll be buying a Kidd soon.

Last edited:
Whatever you decide on, just don't get a Tactical Solutions, I really there X-Ring receivers, but there barrels do not shoot well, I'll be buying a Kidd soon.

They shoot, but they're still a 10\22 send need tuning. Try running a pressure point on the barrel.

My experience with most .920 barrels has been that they're not great free floated. Add an o-ring or tape at the fore-end and move it up and down the barrel. Somewhere you'll find the sweet spot and it can be crazy how much the groups come down.

Reactions: huntnh
Thanks all, for the responses. I ended up calling FJ Feddersen and speaking with a kind & helpful lady. She said the 16.25" fluted/threaded barrels would be available in the next 3 weeks...the 18" fluted/threaded would be available some unknown time after that. She changed my order to the 16.25" barrel. Sort of a blessing in disguise, as upon further research, it appears the shorter barrels are generally a little bit more accurate than the longer ones.

I picked up a 16.25" Federrsen bull barrel locally, and can't be happier. I only have about 100 rounds through it so far and am shooting sub MOA at 50 and 100 yards. I am running a TandemKross bolt, BX red trigger, and Brownell's receiver in a Magpul stock. Slowly becoming a 22LR favorite in the safe.

Had my stepson, who doesn't shoot much, hitting a 3" steel plate with ease at 100 yards. Put a big smile on his face.

Don't think you will be disappointed.

I picked up a 16.25" Federrsen bull barrel locally, and can't be happier. I only have about 100 rounds through it so far and am shooting sub MOA at 50 and 100 yards. I am running a TandemKross bolt, BX red trigger, and Brownell's receiver in a Magpul stock. Slowly becoming a 22LR favorite in the safe.

Had my stepson, who doesn't shoot much, hitting a 3" steel plate with ease at 100 yards. Put a big smile on his face.

Don't think you will be disappointed.
Norman,
Do you have a recommendation for ammunition? I suspect I'll end up getting whatever I can find, but if there's something specific I should be targeting, I'll seek that first...
Thanks

Norman,
Do you have a recommendation for ammunition? I suspect I'll end up getting whatever I can find, but if there's something specific I should be targeting, I'll seek that first...
Thanks
For my initial shots, I was using Eley Force to see how it would shoot. I dialed in scope with this ammo at the indoor range, and the groups were great. When my stepson shot it, we were outside and dialed in for Wolf Match Target. It seemed to like the Wolf a little better.

I really want to try out my SK Std, SKLR, and SKRM to see how good the barrel is.

I think by the responses you've gotten OP, there are many barrels that will fit the bill. Good luck with your search and let us know how the rifle shoots with the new barrel.

Good Luck!

just keep what you got what you are looking at is the same crap that you have on the gun know

I have to agree with the previous posts on FJ Feddersen barrels. I built a rifle for my daughter with 16.25" FJF Match bull barrel , Kidd bolt, VQ trigger, Brownells receiver in a Magpul Hunter stock and have been very impressed with it so far. Loves Wolf, SK, Eley but performs well with most everything I've run through it, even Thunderbolts.

$145, solid performance, absolutely no complaints. Very quick shipment and excellent customer service.

The question always has to start with the application. If you're shooting bench rest there's one answer, PRS is another answer, hunting yet another. You don't have to chase bench rest accuracy with PRS dollars. I shoot steel, not groups and I'm very happy with my new ER Shaw barrel. It definitely does .5" at 50yds and that's good enough for PRS style shooting.

Yeah, it's a good option to get rid of pests but it doesn't help much. My brother also used to shoot squirrels and pigeons because they were damaging our house and the roof. But it helped us only for a while because squirrels and pigeons appeared again and again. So, one day I just called a pests control service from this site brightpestcontrol.com.au, because I was so tired of the pests. Guys from the service put some traps and used some unknown remedy for me but they weren't toxic for humans so that was okay. And after only a few days we got rid of annoying squirrels that damaged our house and made holes in the walls.

Last edited:
I don't think you can go wrong with a Kidd. I have one and have been very happy with it. You can get a great barrel for less, but the Kidd is almost a sure thing that you will get a shooter.