• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommended .308s

Nick Roy

A grunt with wings
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2023
Alabama
Hey guys,
I’m newer to long range shooting (spent 6 years USMC infantry but never did precision fires) Like all of you beautiful people I’ve caught the itch and want to shoot more. Currently I have a Bergara HMR in .300 WM and I love shooting it. (Though my shoulder would argue against that) The issue I’m having is that I don’t want to burn through my barrel for target shooting in the shorter ranges. It feels like a waste of money and the barrels life firing the .300 at shorter targets. I’d like to get a .308 to do most of my 800 and in training and maybe challenge myself out to 1000 with it eventually, but don’t know what’s good to get for the price. Hoping to keep the budget below $1000 to start and build it from there. Looking for all of your opinions to confuse me more in glorious fashion!

If you have pictures of your builds/recommendations I’d love to see them.

Tikka
Bergara
Howa

Over/under on tikka replies is 10. It's the hides preferred rifle.

Bergara makes a good rifle--especially if you already like your mag

Howa you can get a barreled action and put it in a chassis or stock (two screws, super easy) of your choice.

You may also want to consider moving to 6.5 creed, it's the 308 of the 21st century.

Any of those rifles will last you a long way in long range shooting without breaking the bank

It don't take that much...

Aero P has the SOLUS in 308 WIN M24 profile in a sweet ass chassis right now. About 2k shipped.
I’ll look into that, but honestly if I’m going to boost towards that price I’ve been drooling over the Bergara M40ish 👀

Tikka
Bergara
Howa

Howa you can get a barreled action and put it in a chassis or stock (two screws, super easy) of your choice.

You may also want to consider moving to 6.5 creed, it's the 308 of the 21st century.

Any of those rifles will last you a long way in long range shooting without breaking the bank
I appreciate the multi option reply! As far as .308 vs 6.5 there’s a few reasons I’m leaning but not completely decided on .308.
1) as a newer shooter the “deficiencies” of .308 would actually provide me more opportunity to learn about effects of wind and bullet drop (etc)
2) most of the benefits of the 6.5 for longer range are met by my .300 for the days I decide to go push 1000 and up
3) I plan to start reloading for the .300 and having a .308 would make reloading both a breeze competitively

I appreciate the multi option reply! As far as .308 vs 6.5 there’s a few reasons I’m leaning but not completely decided on .308.
1) as a newer shooter the “deficiencies” of .308 would actually provide me more opportunity to learn about effects of wind and bullet drop (etc)
Well there is that...
2) most of the benefits of the 6.5 for longer range are met by my .300 for the days I decide to go push 1000 and up
Devil, met and exceeded by 300 WM
3) I plan to start reloading for the .300 and having a .308 would make reloading both a breeze competitively
Now you're thinking!

• Haha
Reactions: Nick Roy
Buy once cry once, has its place...but IMHO its not first rifles. Tikkas will get you started with a reliable, predictabel platform that won't tie up all your money. They are ballpark the same cost as any other factory rifle ($1k bracket, not $3-5k bracket). They also allow you to build on it or part out with decent options either way.

1k for the gun. I prefer stocks over chasis but I’m not against a chasis if it feels right.
Since you already have a Begara another one would be the easy button. Tikka is fine also. I have an old first gen PSS that I take well past 800 yards. Don't over think it. Pick one and get good glass. Having done this for decades I wish I'd put more priority in the glass than the rifle.

Reactions: XP1K and Nick Roy
Buy once cry once, has its place...but IMHO its not first rifles. Tikkas will get you started with a reliable, predictabel platform that won't tie up all your money. They are ballpark the same cost as any other factory rifle ($1k bracket, not $3-5k bracket). They also allow you to build on it or part out with decent options either way.
I’m getting the idea that Tikkas are like the Jeep of budget bolt actions. Buy it stock and then there’s more parts then you know what to do with? That about right?

Since you already have a Begara another one would be the easy button. Tikka is fine also. I have an old first gen PSS that I take well past 800 yards. Don't over think it. Pick one and get good glass. Having done this for decades I wish I'd put more priority in the glass than the rifle.
I learned that lesson the hard way with the .300 at first!

Reactions: xsn10s
I learned that lesson the hard way with the .300 at first!
Rifles you can modify, rebarrel, get blue printed and so on. The glass is constant, what you get is what you have. Rifles can come and go, but good/ great glass tends to stick around.

Another thing I've shot my PSS since 1991 when I ETS'd for the second time. My family bought it as a coming home gift so I'll never be without it. But I built a 260 AI with this thought in mind. I could closely match a 300 WM trajectory shooting a 215 gr Hybrid. A less expensive trainer for a 300 WM. In the end I just purchase a 7mm RM. Since you're thinking of getting into reloading I'd start running loads through a ballistics program to match trajectories. Just my two cents from the peanut gallery.

But one good thing about the 308 Win is during an ammo crunch it can be the easiest to find ammo for. Many complain about a 168 gr pill but I've shot out to 1200 yards with my PSS. My current load is 168 ELDM's which also serves as my target/ coyote round. Cheap, accurate, and easy to reload.

I think you're on the right track. Nothing wrong with a 308, unless you're trying to be competitive at the highest level at tough matches. There is something to be said for a quality 308 in the collections. You've got the 300wm for longer ranges if you need it. Having said that, if your main interest here is a training gun for cheaper practice, I'd consider a 22lr bolt gun. You can use that for positional shooting, get all the ballistic and wind practice you want and there's more ranges out there that are shorter than there are that go out to 1 mile. A 200 - 300 yard range can be a challenge with a 22lr, but with a 308 is a great big nothingburger. Just a thought.

I think you're on the right track. Nothing wrong with a 308, unless you're trying to be competitive at the highest level at tough matches. There is something to be said for a quality 308 in the collections. You've got the 300wm for longer ranges if you need it. Having said that, if your main interest here is a training gun for cheaper practice, I'd consider a 22lr bolt gun. You can use that for positional shooting, get all the ballistic and wind practice you want and there's more ranges out there that are shorter than there are that go out to 1 mile. A 200 - 300 yard range can be a challenge with a 22lr, but with a 308 is a great big nothingburger. Just a thought.
My buddy said something similar. I know the .22 LR is the cheap training route but I just don’t enjoy shooting 22s at 200 yds like I do hearing steel 500 and beyond. If I’m spending money I might as well enjoy it right? 😂

My buddy said something similar. I know the .22 LR is the cheap training route but I just don’t enjoy shooting 22s at 200 yds like I do hearing steel 500 and beyond. If I’m spending money I might as well enjoy it right? 😂
Yeah I love the sound of steel or the "thwop!!!" of hitting a varmint/ predator/ big game. Sending stuff flying :)

I'm with you there. You have to use very thin steel plates to get any satisfaction out of it 200 or 300 yards. I think you're on the right track and the best part is that there's so many great options out there today. One thing I'd also consider, take a look at the EC tuner brake. You can use that to save your shoulder some recoil and that tuner works miracles.

Tikka
Bergara
Howa

All fine recommendations. I have a Savage 110 Storm in .223 that has been flawless in both function and accuracy. Well within your "military budget "! Been there, done that! I`m sure that the same gun in .308 or 6.5 would be good. Just another potential option that will not be popular here on SH.

All fine recommendations. I have a Savage 110 Storm in .223 that has been flawless in both function and accuracy. Well within your "military budget "! Been there, done that! I`m sure that the same gun in .308 or 6.5 would be good. Just another potential option that will not be popular here on SH.
We do love making the forums go crazy!

• Haha
Christensen Arms MPR 16” .308… Puts 5 Berger 210’s into a 1/2” group. 👍🏼

IMG_7832.jpeg

Ballistic-X-Export-2023-04-30 15:54:56.390625.jpg

Got that in the military budget man 😂 If i had my way I’d build but I don’t have 4K to drop right now.
Without trying in the slightest to be sarcastic, 4K is simply not nearly enough to build a top shelf PRS style rifle. Try 8 to 10K. (Or more) Still with the Howa, Bergara or that other brand that everyone else recommends, you should be fine out to 1000K.

I also recommend the 6.5 Creedmoor. I have owned and shot them both and the Creedmoor is just a bit easier to achieve the results you seek.

Don’t go crazy over group size. A rifle that can put five shots under an inch will do what you want to do. PRS sized targets for the most part are not that small. Most targets are 2MOA or larger, excepting in the most serious matches.

Spend money on good glass. Makes it a lot more fun. If you have to, feed the pig until you can afford nice glass.

Finally, I own a Weatherby Vanguard, made by Howa. Though it is strictly a hunting rifle, It continues to surprise me with its accuracy.

One last thing. If at all possible, find some buddies who are shooting and see if it is possible to try before you buy.

Without trying in the slightest to be sarcastic, 4K is simply not nearly enough to build a top shelf PRS style rifle. Try 8 to 10K. (Or more) Still with the Howa, Bergara or that other brand that everyone else recommends, you should be fine out to 1000K.

I also recommend the 6.5 Creedmoor. I have owned and shot them both and the Creedmoor is just a bit easier to achieve the results you seek.

Don’t go crazy over group size. A rifle that can put five shots under an inch will do what you want to do. PRS sized targets for the most part are not that small. Most targets are 2MOA or larger, excepting in the most serious matches.

Spend money on good glass. Makes it a lot more fun. If you have to, feed the pig until you can afford nice glass.

Finally, I own a Weatherby Vanguard, made by Howa. Though it is strictly a hunting rifle, It continues to surprise me with its accuracy.

One last thing. If at all possible, find some buddies who are shooting and see if it is possible to try before you buy.
I’m liking the idea of a Howa M1500 into a KRG Bravo. Cheaper way to find out if I really want to chase this rabbit while still getting a quality stock and sub MOA gun.

I planned to feed the pig a while and just use some cheap glass I have lying around for a bit till I can get a nicer piece of glass.

I hear what you’re saying with the 6.5 but I’m a glutton for punishment and learning so I’m still leaning .308 for the sake of the deficiencies. 😅

I’m liking the idea of a Howa M1500 into a KRG Bravo. Cheaper way to find out if I really want to chase this rabbit while still getting a quality stock and sub MOA gun.

I planned to feed the pig a while and just use some cheap glass I have lying around for a bit till I can get a nicer piece of glass.

I hear what you’re saying with the 6.5 but I’m a glutton for punishment and learning so I’m still leaning .308 for the sake of the deficiencies. 😅