• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Recommended 338 lapua barrel contour?

gunsmithcat

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2003
SoCal
Gents,
Slowly putting together a 338 lapua off of a Stiller TAC338 action. Going to use a surefire 338 muzzle brake and an AICS AX whenever the hell they come out. Any barrel contour suggestions?
Im thinking an MTU contour with 1.350 breech at 26 inch length, fluted. Don't want it too heavy...

Thanks!

Re: Recommended 338 lapua barrel contour?

Cat, first of all congrats on the new build. As far as a a good contour.... it's going to be heavy no matter what route you go. Fluting really doesn't save as much as some folks would hope it would. I have a surgeon xl action and after long talks with Tim at broughton we actually went with a 1.335 breech down to .920 at 28" MTU contour. The blanked weighed 9 3/4 lbs. After it was cut and worked it was still around 8 lbs. The rifle isn't finished yet but we are guessing about 17.5 lbs all dressed up. Hth

Holy moly thats a heavy meatball.

Thank you, that was exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for.
Would a .75 muzzle diameter be too thin? I was looking at krieger barrels and their current stock for 338 barrels with a 1 in 9.3 twist shows either muzzle diameters in the .93 range or .75 range. Obvioulsy I'd like it lighter, but figure theres a reason why most 338 lapua barrels use a fat diameter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunsmithcat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Obvioulsy I'd like it lighter, but figure theres a reason why most 338 lapua barrels use a fat diameter.
</div></div>

There is. But it may not be what you think. Most people have 338s for work beyond a 1000 yards. Hints they don't really intend on lugging the rifle through the woods thus they don't design the for mobility. I know my rifle was configured with a long heavy palma contour for this reason. Truth of the matter is that any well made barrel will shoot well. Accuracy is not a by-product of barrel contour rather a product of a well crafted barrel. Thus if you are after a lighter weight rifle get a well made barrel that is contoured properly for the task at hand. Just remember the trade off, thinner barrels get hotter faster but they dissipate the heat faster also.

I like a MTU contour for this application.

The desired diameter at the muzzle is going to depend on what muzzle device you intend to run, so don't go too thin!

Look at a medium or heavy Palma contour Accuracy international uses a very similar contour and Most AI users like it. I wouldn't go less than 26' and would do 28" minimum myself. You are burning a LOT of powder and you don't want to be losing velocity with the unburnt powder in a short bbl. If you are shooting around 800 yards or less than it won't matter as much but 1,000 yards and beyond it sure will.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chrisj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look at a medium or heavy Palma contour Accuracy international uses a very similar contour and Most AI users like it. I wouldn't go less than 26' and would do 28" minimum myself. You are burning a LOT of powder and you don't want to be losing velocity with the unburnt powder in a short bbl. If you are shooting around 800 yards or less than it won't matter as much but 1,000 yards and beyond it sure will. </div></div>

I will slightly disagree with the last statement. I have a Barret M98 with a 20" barrel and it shoots 250gr SMK at ~2700 ft/sec. Yes, you lose velocity compared to a 26" barrel, but that rifle still is a 1500yard rifle all day everyday and twice on Sunday
smile.gif

End use is something not really covered here. Yes you can go lighter, but you started with a rather robust stiller action at the same time. As said before, you are pushing a lot of powder out with a decent sized pill. The trade off for light weight .338's is accuracy with a quality barrel, but being slapped around at the range isn't that fun after a few shots. If you are building a hunting rifle you NEED a brake, but then there is the noise issue. These things get really loud really quick with brakes. My rifle is going to be heavy and have a brake so any game work will be long range field work in the prone. And only being 155 lbs I need something not going to kick my butt with every trigger squeeze.

My new 338 Lapua isn't light at all. Mine weighed in at 15.5lbs without optics, and rings. Thats just the rifle by its self, no accesories. But I love it anyways.

Gents,
Thanks for all the feedback. I'll let you know what I eventually go with.

Mine is a #6 Bartlein, roughly around .9" at 25" overall. Plus www.campfeldcustom.com deep spiral flutes. Spiral flute is longer than straight.