• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Recommended cleaning/ lube for a Jewell?

Re: Recommended cleaning/ lube for a Hewell?

If it's real dirty flush it with brake cleaner then the lighter fluid. The stuff for your Zippo not your charcoal.

Why you ask lighter fluid? Because of the kerosene in the lighter fluid leaves a nice slick film and protects the metal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've used it, followed by canned air FWIW. </div></div>

I have used regular charcoal lighter for years. Get the cheapest stuff on sale. I use a blow gun reduced to 10 psi to keep from blowing the springs out of alignment. But be sure to get all the junk dislodged and out of the way.

I find unburned powder kernels and seeds to be my worst enemys on the trigger. Getting a round stuck with a long bullet jammed in the lands can cause powder to get dumped in the action and trigger pretty well gummed up.

I've always used cigarette lighter fluid (Ronsonol) to clean my Jewell triggers because it's Naptha-based and refined to a cleaner end product than charcoal lighter. Besides, it's much easier to accurately dispense from the plastic squeeze container that it comes in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've used it, followed by canned air FWIW. </div></div>

I have used regular charcoal lighter for years.
</div></div>

Never tried that, I've always used the Zippo stuff. I'll have to give it a try.

I prefer Coleman Fuel compared to lighter fluid for cleaning trigger groups as the Coleman Fuel is less expensive,is readily available & has rust inhibitors added.

For neglected trigger groups I'll spray them with acetone followed by the Coleman Fuel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpotcheckBilly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've always used cigarette lighter fluid (Ronsonol) to clean my Jewell triggers because it's Naptha-based and refined to a cleaner end product than charcoal lighter. Besides, it's much easier to accurately dispense from the plastic squeeze container that it comes in. </div></div>

Totally agree:)

Lighter Fluid/Naptha/Coleman Fuel works well for cleaning trigger groups.

A couple drops of liquid Rem Oil for lubrication goes a long way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DANS40X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A couple drops of liquid Rem Oil for lubrication goes a long way. </div></div>

Everything I have ready from factory replacements has said that they advise NO lubricant be used. Remington, Jewell, Shilen and Timney all say the same thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DANS40X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A couple drops of liquid Rem Oil for lubrication goes a long way. </div></div>

Everything I have ready from factory replacements has said that they advise NO lubricant be used. Remington, Jewell, Shilen and Timney all say the same thing.
</div></div>

so i can just clean with lighter fluid and call it good. just my stock 700 trigger.

Correct,
Pull the action out of the stock.
Douche the trigger group with lighter fluid/etc.
No other disassembly required.

I stated a couple drops of liquid Rem Oil for lubrication.
To be applied to the bolt stop/safety only to displace moisture.

Arctic environments are quite different than tropical conditions.