• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Recommended Elk Guide

kimberyote

Private
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2010
madison county illinois
I am looking to book a rifle elk hunt for this fall. Not particular where. 3-5 hunters.
What is the going rate in a high percentage area? The elk do not have to be world records.
Thank You for your help!

Re: Recommended Elk Guide

Northwest Colorado has the largest elk herd in the country and is one of the limited number of places that you can get non-draw tags for a semi-reasonable price. Research outfitters around the Flattops and surrounding areas.

I would recommend Headwaters and High Country Outfitters in Musselshell Montana. My son and I went last Thanksgiving and had a blast. Nice place to stay, piles of wildlife, great food and great people. If you tag early you can hunt coyotes and prairy dogs.

It is a draw area but you can get cow tags.

I used to guide for an outfitter up here in NW Wyoming named Jake Clark. He runs Wyoming Wilderness Outfitters. I highly recommend him if you are up for riding a horse and a fair ammount of hiking. I still hunt for myself the same area he works and there are a lot of bulls and husters always have a high percentage success rate. I killed a 300 class bull there this year. I would not use Jake if you are hoping to kill a monster 400" bull but if you want to see a lot of elk, have a good time in camp, and kill a respectable bull in the 330" range, Jake is your guy. Good horses, good camp, good guides.

Here is a lonk to his web page. Let me know if there is anything else I can do.

http://www.wyomingwilderness.com/html/hunting/elk_hunts.html