• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommended Neck Turning Tool

harry_x1

Khalsa
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2019
Hi All,

I am a recent started in reloading and mostly handload 300 grain bergers for my AI AXMC chambered in 338 lapua magnum. Brass used is Lapua. Am looking to finally get a neck turning tool. Can experienced handloaders share some recommendations on the apt tool for this business? I am flexible with budget, but looking for the right/optimal solution. Thanks for your time and assistance!

Personally, I would skip neck turning especially for factory barrels using lapis brass. You’re going to see marginal benefits.

If you’re running a tight neck custom chamber then it becomes a different discussion. Doubt this is the case though.
It is correct there is generous headspace as well as neck space in my chamber va sami. But I primarily use my fire formed brass, only prtially re size after 5-6 firings. So there is very little headspace whenever I shoot. In this scenario also will neck turning not have much impact ?

I agree with the others, neck turning for a factory chamber probably won't yield and increase in accuracy and may shorten brass life as you increase the room for more expansion.

I have several neck turning tools. K&M, Sinclair and PMA all make nice tools. Sometimes you see an older Hart tool for sale.

Reactions: harry_x1
Can you slip a bullet into the neck of a piece of fired, unsized brass?
Was your chamber cut to your specific neck diameter dimensions by a custom gunsmith?

If your first answer is yes, you neither NEED to neck turn nor will you gain significant accuracy but you may avoid some other complications if you do.

If your second answer is yes, you MAY DECIDE to neck turn in order to increase brass uniformity and reduce the likelihood of case “donuts”.

“Headspace” is set by the resizing process to make the brass small enough to fit in the chamber without interference and is usually considered to be complete when the brass is .002”-.004” smaller than “fired” dimensions (base to shoulder) or when it begins to be noticeable that closing the bolt on the brass can be completed without additional force, i.e. not a compression fit. If you are neck-sizing only, and after a few firing notice that the bolt is harder to close on thebrass, you need to use a full-length sizing die at least once before continuing. This is managing headspace and is unaffected by and will have no effect on, neck diameter.

If you have decided to neck turn, Sinclair makes a good tool for smaller batches and IDOD https://fclassproducts.com/purchase/pvc_1103937_13155842/the-idod-advanced-case-neck-turning is the Cadillac. 21st century makes a good drill powered option, too.