• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommended Scope set up for 3500 Yard Shot

harry_x1

Khalsa
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2019
Hi All,
I am currently in planning stages to build a 2 mile gun in 416 caliber.
I have a proposed scope set up and have some questions related to same:

Proposed plan: I am planning to use a Smith & Bender scope with 29 mills internal elevation, plus sphur mount with 60 moa in built elevation, along with nightforce prism (29 mils internal elevation). I beleive that the scope itself will have roughly usable internal elevation of 15 mils, plus 16.67 mils from scope mount, plus 29 mils from nightforce prism. That should give me approx total 60.6 mils of usable elevation? The barrel length will be approx 39 inches.

Q1: Is my calculation of usable elevation being 60.6mils accurate or there are some flaws in this thinking?

Q2: Will I be able to zero this gun at 100 yards or not? if not, then what is the minimum distance this gun will have to be zeroed at and how do I calculate that?

Q3: Will barrell lenght have an impact on minimum zero distance of this gun?

Q4: Any other relevant input on my plan.

I would greatly appreciate advice from experienced folks. Please do indicate in your response if you have some experience shooting 3000 yard plus and these kind of set ups.

thanks!

I don't think you needed to start 2 topics

1) You will only be able to adjust the scope the max elevation of the scope. 29 Mils and then add your prism and redial back to zero and start dialing again. If you want to zero at 100 you need a base that is no more than half of your scopes internal adjustment. If you want to run that much base you will have to zero farther out.

2) You need to punch the numbers into your ballistic calculator and figure out the distance that your come up would be 3 mils and that will be your zero distance. 29/2= 14.5-17.45= 2.95

3) The only affect barrel length will have on the zero distance is due to the added speed the projectile will have. If you go down to a base that is half of your scope internal adjustment you will be able to zero at 100 still.

4) Do some more research, based on your questions there is a lot you don't understand about this.

Here is what I use to shoot out to 2 miles+ Cadex 375 CT with 40 MOA Top rail , ERA Tac mount set at 10 MOA , Zcomp 5x27 with 33.1 mils after zeroing at 100 yards and NF Prism set at 29.8 mils so I have 62.9 of total travel to work with. I also have a Charlie Tarac set to 60mils so with this set up I 93.1 mils of travel available.
My personal best is 2 of 5 hits at 3970 yards.

I have used the Ivey mount and I found it to be very repeatable. The reason I switched to the Prism and Charlie Tarac was with the Ivey as you increase the elevation you have dialed into the base you need to change you head position to see though the scope. With the others you head position never changes.

I have used the Ivey mount and I found it to be very repeatable. The reason I switched to the Prism and Charlie Tarac was with the Ivey as you increase the elevation you have dialed into the base you need to change you head position to see though the scope. With the others you head position never changes.
I think the adjustable mounts are best left on smaller calibers. Big guns kill them. From what I've seen they work fine up until they shit the bed. Would love for there to be one that holds up under higher recoil forces but I've yet to see one.

-Alex

I ran the Ivey mount on my 338 LM and 375CT without issue but as Sandow the Heretic said I have seen them fail on 416's.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bandit320