• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Recommended scope under $1500

The salmon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Looking for good mil/mil scope under $1500, preferably FFP, good glass, target turrets preferably illumination.
Want it to be good all around (hunting, long range, tactical, etc.)

Thanks

Sam

Although it's not illuminated, the Bushnell HDMR would probably fit your needs pretty well.

Liberty Optics Bushnell G2 HDMR 3.5-21 x50. Says $1400, but if you add to cart it's $1130. Best bang for buck anywhere.

I have a Weaver Tac, PST, NF NXS, Bushy HDMR, in front of me now. I have looked at all day, esp when it was getting towards dark. I have to say the Weaver looked as good as the PST. I think the NF and HDMR have a sharper image than all, but the Weaver is amazing to say the least. They are also on sale for up to $250 off on MidwayUSA. These optics need to be looked at closer for sure. But if I had that kinda cash I'd go for the HDMR 34mm, G2 ret (Hate Horus) for $1130. In my, and a few shooters helping me opinion was the NF was sharper, clearer, and was able to see at darker times than others.

bushnell HDMR or swfa 5-20. I like he HDMR better but I think either scope is great for the prices.

I have both. like the HDMR rect better but prefer the 10 mil knobs and illum of the SWFA better.

either is a winner in that price range.

glass quality is a push.

do some
searches this has been covered I'm many threads. good luck I believe you be happy with either.

regards
DT

ETA. have heard of a scope that Burris is coming out with that is supposed to be a strong competitor for that price range but no idea on release date. again good luck.

Last edited:
I've shot with an HDMR, nf nxs 3.5-15, 5.5-22, F1 mil spec, and SWFA 5-20.

The best scope is the F1. When you take turrets, glass, features, and reliability into account, it's been the best scope so far.

That being said, the mag range of the swfa, HDMR, and nf 5.5-22 is certainly nice. The one thing about nightforce that has me hook, line and sinker is they are known to have the utmost reliability in any conditions. They're arguably the toughest scopes on the market, regardless of price range.

That being said, the SWFA and HDMR are still great scopes. I would save up for a used F1 if I were you. The F1 mil spec gives me a peace of mind that assures me it'll never be my scopes' fault if I miss.

Thanks for input.
Im 13 and am building my first custom rifle (i save up $ then give it to my uncle to buy since im not 18)
I am leaning towards the HDMR i would get an NXS but it doesnt have FFP

you realize that you just posted that you intend to have your uncle break federal law for you?

It will be my uncles rifle technically but im going to pay for it and it will be kept at his house and i wont be able to touch it unless we go to the range

With all do respect i dont know how that is breaking federal law,
Thats like saying your dad bought you a .22 thats yours but your breaking federal law

Pretty hard to beat the Vortex Viper PST in that price range, less than $1000 actually.

I don't see anything wrong with it legally. It's your uncles until he gives it to you when you turn 18 and you use it under his supervision until then. I don't see the harm in that.

In the country, most kids had guns that were "theirs" long before they turned 18.

Pretty hard to beat the Vortex Viper PST in that price range, less than $1000 actually.

I don't see anything wrong with it legally. It's your uncles until he gives it to you when you turn 18 and you use it under his supervision until then. I don't see the harm in that.

In the country, most kids had guns that were "theirs" long before they turned 18.
Thanks, thats exactly my point

Glass and features are excellent for the money. It's not quite a clear as a NF or S&B but it's not that far off. I got it over the Bushnell for the illumination.

........That being said, the SWFA and HDMR are still great scopes. I would save up for a used F1 if I were you. The F1 mil spec gives me a peace of mind that assures me it'll never be my scopes' fault if I miss.

How do you feel about losing the 20X and paying more for 15X ??

Good thread, I'm in the same boat, at the same price point looking at the same scopes.

Liberty Optics Bushnell G2 HDMR 3.5-21 x50. Says $1400, but if you add to cart it's $1130. Best bang for buck anywhere.
thanks for that info. :cool: Seriously considering the HDMR or now the Elite Tactical 6-24x50 FFP G2 DMR -- just to save some $$ and not have to invest in 34mm rings!!

I've been following this thread as I too want to keep the budget around $1500 but with a Bobro QD mount and Harris bipod. I've been bouncing back and forth between the Vortex Viper PST 6x24-50 FFP and the Bushnell Elite Tactical 6x24x50 FFP G2DMR. However, one can't discount the idea of buying used on the forum to pick up the SWFA SS HD 5x20x50. Anyone know how much of a discount is usually applied with online orders for black Friday deals??? That is to say if one was able to hold off until November???

Last edited:
Chill dude. It's no different than buying a nice gun with the intention of handing it down to your son once he's old enough. It's the uncle buying a gun for himself. What he does with it later on once his nephew is an adult is his business. If this was the way of he world than I guess no one would grow up hunting or shooting.

Back on topic. You'll be pleased with the bushy or the vortex. I went with vortex for the illumination and the warranty. I have no complaints so far.

I'd say take a good look at Bushnell's Elite Tactical line...

Bulletproof 1 year money back warranty...

YouTube John McQuay's "torture test" consisting of submerging a scope in water for 2 days then throwing it in the freezer for another 1-2 days... worked perfect... then dropping it (multiple times) attached to a rifle (scope first) with no loss of zero.

It's a tough as nails scope series that has amazing clarity and features for their price point.

Been loving my 2.5-16X42 for almost a year and haven't even considered buying a more expensive one... don't see the need. No regrets here. It's held up to several schools and field use in rain, hail, sand and some pretty low temps... no issues yet.

Last edited:
Bushnell

Glass and features are excellent for the money. It's not quite a clear as a NF or S&B but it's not that far off. I got it over the Bushnell for the illumination.

I've used all scopes mentioned in this thread. I currently run mostly Schmidt, with a couple of Premier and one March FX 5-40x56. In addition to these scopes I do own and use two Bushnell ERS G2DMR and a XRS. I've had several NF but sold due to
SFP and because my eyes do not agree with NF glass. In my opinion OP, for your stated price range, the Bushnell DMR (don't try and save, get the one with 34mm tube) is a better optic than almost anything else. The only other scope in your price range that I would consider would be the SWFA 5-20x50.

Hi Sam,

Not checked out any of your posts recently.

How's it going? You go for the .22LR idea or not?

Scope wise, well let me put it this way...

I have a Vortex razor HD, and I'm looking at a top of the line scopes to buy (OK, I admit it, I'm an airline pilot, so I have a certain amount of disposable income), S & B, Nightforce, March, etc

My next scope?

VORTEX PST 6-24x FFP MIL/MIL.

You cant go wrong.

Neil

Hi Sam,

Not checked out any of your posts recently.

How's it going? You go for the .22LR idea or not?

Scope wise, well let me put it this way...

I have a Vortex razor HD, and I'm looking at a top of the line scopes to buy (OK, I admit it, I'm an airline pilot, so I have a certain amount of disposable income), S & B, Nightforce, March, etc

My next scope?

VORTEX PST 6-24x FFP MIL/MIL.

You cant go wrong

Neil

Neil,

I am going ti buy the rifle first because I am sending it to a gunsmith and it will take about 1-1/2 years.

That being said during that year I am going to try to go the range a lot more and use my 22 but my 22 only has illuminated tru glow sights and they are not adjustable so reading the wind will be hard and such.

Thanks,

Sam

PS: private message me if you can and we can talk more

The difference is who is paying for the gun.

If the Uncle buys it, then gives it to the nephew, that is a gift and perfectly legal.

If the Uncle buys it, but the nephew pays for it, and the Uncle is buying it because the nephew is too young, that is technically a straw man purchase.

A straw purchase or nominee purchase is any purchase wherein an agent agrees to acquire a good or service for someone who is unable or unwilling to purchase the good or service himself, and the agent transfers the goods/services to that person after purchasing them. Straw purchases are legal except in cases where the ultimate receiver of goods or services uses those goods or services in the commission of a crime with the prior knowledge of the straw purchaser, or if the ultimate possessor is not legally able to purchase the goods/services

The difference is who is paying for the gun.

If the Uncle buys it, then gives it to the nephew, that is a gift and perfectly legal.

If the Uncle buys it, but the nephew pays for it, and the Uncle is buying it because the nephew is too young, that is technically a straw man purchase.

He would not be giving me the rifle until I'm 18 It would be kept at his house, locked, hidden and I wouldnt be able to touch it unless we are at the range and I am under his supervision, so its his until im 18 and he gives it to me

Busnell G2DMR 3.5-21. I am blown away at what i got for my money. One of the best reticles, and great turrets. Couldnt be happier. Good scope for the money.

I have 2 PST's and love them. Can't go wrong with these. If your looking for a hunting/tactical don't overlook the Vortex HST...Have had the opportunity to use a couple of these and are great scopes for the money and Vortex has outstanding service/warranty if ever needed..

YouTube John McQuay's "torture test" consisting of submerging a scope in water for 2 days then throwing it in the freezer for another 1-2 days... worked perfect... then dropping it (multiple times) attached to a rifle (scope first) with no loss of zero.

It's a tough as nails scope series that has amazing clarity and features for their price point.

Been loving my 2.5-16X42 for almost a year and haven't even considered buying a more expensive one... don't see the need. No regrets here. It's held up to several schools and field use in rain, hail, sand and some pretty low temps... no issues yet.

I'm on my second as the first had a problem holding zero after a couple hundred rounds. It started ratcheting where I would get two and sometimes three 1/3" groups per 10 shot round. This was on a 300 win mag. The scope itself, 6-24x50 FFP G2DMR is very rugged, large turrets, solid clicks, exceptionally neutral, clear glass. The G2DMR reticle is very finely made. Also, under a $1,000. Customer service was fast and knowledgable.

What happens after the 1 year warranty? Will they still cover their scopes for repair or does this fall on the owner at that point?

Lifetime warrantee.

1 year Bullet Proof Guarantee; if purchased between the beginning of 2012 and end of 2013, Bushnell will refund your purchase price if you don't like it.

Joe