• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

recon mini w/ arca plate review

MangoFett

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2018
Missouri
LONG time overdue review of the Precision Underground recon mini bag with the arca base plate. I originally wanted to get about a month of practice with it and a few solid matches before I wrote out a review so because that took longer than I anticipated it's longtime overdue. Without any delay though I'll get this review rolling and my thoughts of it after putting about 1k rounds down range in practice and matches with it.

20190702_124553.jpg

Aesthetics:

some of you may roll past this but to me I want my stuff to look clean and well made, if I'm going to hang it off something I have several thousands of dollars in it don't want it to look like pounded dog shit.

I don't think I need to go into a ton of details for this part but it looks good. Some as that and you can tell when you look at it and handle it that every part of it down to the lever and finish on the arca base plate it was fit and finished to look good as well as function.

My singular observation, and it is singular as there's nothing else I could nitpick at thus far is after shooting a match where it rained from when we showed up at 8am to when we packed up and went home at 5pm is there's one little piece (looks like the threading on a bolt) that got some rusty color to it from the moisture. Now, this likely is my fault because after the match I just wanted to get the hell out of there and get dry and warm so I lightly wiped off the bag and my gear and then threw it in the back of the truck and admittedly it was still moist in my humid truck come Monday. So this isn't necessarily a knock against Precision Underground but in transparency it's there and you have context why so you may draw your own conclusions as how that affects the aesthetics and durability rating.

20190702_130844.jpg

For me I give the aesthetic a 9.5/10. Even though its probably because I'm an idiot I'd like it to be a bit more rust resistant for the price. And I do know I could probably just take it apart, clean it, and it'll be good as new but for the purpose of testing the bag and reviewing it I wanted to just leave it and run and and see how it did.

Update: Precision Underground, as you can see below, as soon as he saw my rust observation on that one little part he quickly put an order in to fix this small detail. It's so minor it didnt bother me but it speaks volumes for a business to listen to and iimmediately act to fix it. Really great reflection on how you do business and I'll buy products from you guys forever now. Keep up the good work

20190702_124622.jpg

How's it performe:

The part that really matters here, and while it looks damn good I think we'd all agree we want it to work too.

The first 500 or so trigger pulls where dry fire practice and coming from a game changer and fortune cookie I honestly didnt think it would be more stable, really just a faster alternative for many stages.
In dry fire practice in my basement off different diameter bars and different widths boards it felt very stable right off the bat. There's not really a big learning curve here and I'd venture to guess it's not meant to be complicated. Complicated isn't fast, many guys have complicated crap and while they may be able to run it smooth I sure as hell can't so I appreciate how nothing is over complicated here.

At my first match I'd only shot about 40 rounds of practice with it, all the rest where dryfire in my basement. This was the rainy match so I wasn't super excited to say the least. I'd also never shot here before and it was slick and sloppy as hell, trees covering some targets and honestly this range was young and obviously had some growing pains to work out. Not exactly perfect and sunny to test out a new piece of equipment. First stage I looked at the target and my reticle and realized my wobble zone was nearly nil so I easily finished the stage without problems. That was essentially the theme of the day, if i could see it through the fog i could hit it. Last stage of the day was 2 shots from 4 positions which shouldn't be hard but you have to crawl through branches and brush to set your gun up so most everyone timed out or rushed it and dropped easy points. I ended up cleaning it with 2 seconds left and there's 0% change that would have happened if I used another bag because the speed here was the real winning feature. I ended up placing like 10th which was my best finish thus far. My accuracy of hit targets vs rounds fired was 81% so if I could see it I usually hit it.

My next match my scope went down and I ended up finishing middle of the pack. Not the bags fault and I was steady on target to watch the bullet miss far left all day.

20190702_130929.jpg

I'll break it down into three parts here so you can get why this is such a good piece of gear.

1) the bag: the bag its self is decent. I think I'd probably pick something bigger up than this sized bag but as the name implies it's not meant to be a huge pillow, it's a mini. The fill though I really like. It separates and unlocks while in your hand, maybe flows is a better word here but anyhow it's very fluid and when you put it down it conform and locks on pretty well. So for its size it provides a solid foundation. Now while it's a very decent bag up front it's the absolute best rear bag I've ever used. Since it flows and locks so easily you can make easy adjustments to the bag and effortlessly hold it on target. As a front bag I'd give it a 7/10 and as a rear bag it's a 10/10 all day every day on chassis and stocks.

20190702_130858.jpg

2) the plate: not a ton to go into here. Mainly it needs to do 3 things which are be well put together so nothing moves or wiggles where parts interface, it needs to clamp to your arca rail easily and be secure, and the plate needs to have zero flex or bounce. It does all of that. Its simple and like I said not a ton to go into here.

3) the bag and plate as a system: here's where it goes from a nice plate and a nice bag to a system that works very well. I will go into a bit of detail here because I think there's a few specific reasons why this works so well.

With the bag conforming easily and "locking" itself into the barricade and then the plate locking all of that into your rifle you're immediately as steady as you'd ever need to be. Now since the plate is expanding your footprint so much it's pretty obvious how much more stable that's going to make you and I can say it makes a huge difference. Now where this starts to shine is as you can see in a few pics above that plate can slide a little bit so what you can do here when you're locked in and steady already is then press your gun forward slightly and you'll then lightly lock your magazine/mag well into your bag as well. At this point you're basically locked in every way you can ask for. The gun doesn't easily twist or cant from any axis unless you want it to. Basically everything comes together and everything works in a way to easily and naturally lock you in.

One of my favorite things is the bag is grippy but it's not tacky and sticky. There are some bags out there that will lock that bag in so hard that you cant easily make adjustments swinging target to target and you end up torquing and twisting the hell out of the bag if you don't completely pick it up each time which costs you time and is frustrating as hell. This bag grips lightly and not too aggressively and I personally like that.

Essentially it breaks down to you can easily and without much thought just run this thing and it'll work fantastic and quick. Hopefully I conveyed that.

I would give this as a system a 9/10

You may wonder why not a 10, and for me I think I'd prefer the bag itself to be Slighly bigger because it would be just slighly more stable on weirdly shaped obstacles/barricades. Also on shaky days and days I'm hurting (f'ed up back and nerves) I think it would take up some of the slack from my fundamentals. I'm not knocking it or faulting it I just think it would be perfect For me if it was a bit larger of a bag. Not a whole hell of a lot but maybe 10%. I wouldn't want the plate any bigger though I don't think, that part is perfect I believe. A bigger plate would in theory make it more stable but what I've seen with other plates on the market is when they get bigger than this size you're not able to butt your gun against the corners of barricades and then use your hand to help lock the rifle in.

I'm sure I've left out some stuff so feel free to ask questions below. I think for the money this is a really solid product and I'll be taking it to every match, I did pay for this product with my own money and if he came out with a bag slighly bigger I'd buy that too and play with it. Thanks for reading my long winded review and thanks to Precision Underground, I don't think I've ever been able to say a bag helped me this much before and got me better placement.

20190702_124504.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Zorrosdens
Wow man I appreciate you taking the time to put that together.

As for the rust on the adapter- We hand picked and tested every material in that system and that is the one thing that I never even thought about because it comes with the clamp. I will definitely locate some stainless ones to avoid that in the future. It's just a little insert that reduces the threads down. I can't believe I didn't think about that rusting.... Hey that's what Gen 2s are for right!

We tested a lot of different sizes and found that going larger is a game of diminishing returns. As it gets bigger it doesn't give you much more stability but it does get heavy and cumbersome really quickly. The one downside to the smaller bag is, as you said, it can't fill a really large gap. I haven't shot a ton of matches but in the ones I have shot, I never ran into an obstacle that I needed something larger on. We had a tank trap on one but it was a smaller one made form 4x4s so there wasn't a huge gap in the middle.

What fill did you get? I have classic and heavy but have also done a blend with an almost sand like mixture for a couple of people. It is pretty heavy as well.

Thanks again for taking the time to write this. PM me your order # and shirt size and I'll send you a T!

I went with heavy fill.

On the tank traps, and this may sound silly but I found it to work the best, I'd start my stage by slapping a game changer on the tank trap and then running to whatever position one is. When I got to the tank trap i wouldn't need to adjust the arca bag I'd just lay the recon onto of the gamechanger and shoot it. Its quicker than getting the game changer set up imo.

I see your point on the bag size. I talked to a few guys about it at a match and there's arguments for 5-10% bigger filling some bug gaps but honestly you can still run it with great success and no bag can do 100% of stages best but I think the set up you've developed gets damn close to that 100% mark.

I went with heavy fill.

On the tank traps, and this may sound silly but I found it to work the best, I'd start my stage by slapping a game changer on the tank trap and then running to whatever position one is. When I got to the tank trap i wouldn't need to adjust the arca bag I'd just lay the recon onto of the gamechanger and shoot it. Its quicker than getting the game changer set up imo.

I see your point on the bag size. I talked to a few guys about it at a match and there's arguments for 5-10% bigger filling some bug gaps but honestly you can still run it with great success and no bag can do 100% of stages best but I think the set up you've developed gets damn close to that 100% mark.
Is the fill kind of chunky/chalky feeling or does it feel like sand at all? I did a few with a blend of the heavy fill pellets with another material that is a lot like sand. i am wondering if this is what you have or if you have the standard heavy fill.

I wouldn't call it chalky nor like sand. It reminds me of a heavier version of what's in the geico 2 bags if you're familiar with those. The fill is 100% awesome and I love that it's not over filled which allows it to flow and then lock easily like I said in the review.

I wouldn't call it chalky nor like sand. It reminds me of a heavier version of what's in the geico 2 bags if you're familiar with those. The fill is 100% awesome and I love that it's not over filled which allows it to flow and then lock easily like I said in the review.
If it doesn't feel anything like sand and it's heavy it has to be the standard heavy fill.

Stainless thread reducers ordered! I'll send you one when they come in!

Reactions: MangoFett
Update:

So I've since gotten more practice in and another match as well as a practice "mini-match" with this setup and I've been trying different things with it now that I've become more comfortable using the bag/plate combo.

Pretty much everything you need to know about the bag/plate combo and its performance is in the review above but something I've grown to appreciate about the combo is that you can use just the bag, just the plate, or the whole combo.

On days I feel solid I'll run the bag/plate combo and I can take my time on each shot because i know it doesn't take but a second or two to move my rifle to the next part of the stage, its quick and for sure saves a ton of time.

But on days like today where I'm not super steady and stage times are longer I'll keep the arca plate on the gun, take advantage of that large footprint the plate gives you, and use a gamechanger or fortune cookie. It's back to the traditional picking the bag up, putting it down the correct way, and setting the gun back up on the bag correctly to build a solid platform to shoot from so I'm adding seconds back into my approach but that plate adds some great stability so on my days the wobble zone increases for whatever reason, I'm going for the plate and a full sized bag.

There aren't really any bags or pieces of equipment that will fix fundamental issues you may have but I think this plate and the bag give you some great options and are a solid addition to your gear bag for a match.