• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recon Observation "Burn Through Bushes"

LongJohn

Private
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2020
Within reading about the various phases of Military Sniper Training particularly Scouting
I came across a term I've not heard yet called "Burn through Bushes"
This was taken from wikipedia and of course this term may not be accurate or what the actual Military uses and could be a slang of sorts
This in within the context of observation using a spotting scope or bino's to find 10 items in a defined area
Copy and pasted sentence from web page:
"for the purposes of the course it is important to learn observation skills, particularly how to "Burn Through" bushes for the stalking phase. Learning this skill is imperative to being able to find the observation post from behind cover during stalking and is often the difference between a student passing or failing. "
Wiki link, the term is referrenced in Phase 1 at the bottom

Q, Can anyone explain in this context what the term "Burn through" bushes means
My guess would be looking through, into, beyond surface cover to see hidden objects concealed within vegetation and/or shadow
although it mentioned "Burning through the bushes" being particularly important during the "Stalking" phase
So again I'm guessing it means look "Through" the forest, not at it,,,,,such as when hunting deer
Also if any other term is used for doing the same thing?
Thanks all,
John

Its a forest & tree reference, nothing more. When looking for (or hiding from) while observing or being observed, there are many tricks to wash out or add clutter. It all depend upon what type of glass you are using, the amount/type of clutter, lighting ect.

If you are looking to expand your ability's, spend a day w/nothing but your rifle scope while observing wildlife in your A/O. Make a range card w/ many notes, but have another hide a few items in your training area, prior to. The next trip out same again except different items & use a spotting scope. The difference will be noticeable to most. Hint, the power setting & focus knob on the spotting scope or parallax adjustment on scope can be used to fine tune & make target ID faster once you do it a few times. Some people prefer to shit can the spotting scope when alone for many reasons, the main being they have,... learned how,...to do it all with a single item.

Like someone said here long ago "I can trained a monkey to shoot, the rest is harder" or something to that effect.

edit for spelling

Last edited:
Reactions: LongJohn
I’ll do my best to explain what it means, if you have any photography background it will help.

In essence though, “burning through” something is varying the focal point of your optic with a relatively narrow depth of field. This allows you to remove some visual distractions/disturbances that otherwise would more effectively break up the outline/shine/contrast of what you are looking for.

Think of it this way. You’re in a concealed position with a clump of tall grass relatively close to you. You don’t want the grass in focus, so you adjust your focal point beyond the grass to “burn through it.”

Here’s an example, there is grass in the foreground that would be distracting, but since it’s out of focus you see it less and your target more.

IMG_0981.jpeg

Great, thanks for the explanations guys, I don't like to guess if I can do thorough research but I wasn't finding anything,
I understand that within blending in and disappearing into your surrounding environment, it's usually more important to blend in with the background or dead space than to try and camouflage with the foreground, IE: Green blends in great with trees but not so much with dead grass and dirt that are behind the trees, another reason why no land mammals are green but some birds are
So burning through makes sense in the aspect of searching for items or people who would be educated in how to blend in with the background,
Not looking at the landscape as a whole such as quickly glassing a hillside, but also adjusting your focus for that particular yardage you are looking at to be as precise as possible
Also like Gunfighter14e2 mentioned, having someone else hide items behind brush and in the background at various yardages to search for would be a great exercise,
Appreciate your guys time,
John

Last edited: