• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recorded group sizes with different ammo

Defusion

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2008
Netherlands
My rifle was a bit inconsistent, but after shooting it shot a bit more (1200+ rds), it started tightening up a bit.
I've discarded my findings about which ammo it likes best, and decided to start over.

To make my hunt for the "best" ammo a bit more scientific, I decided I should actually record my groups from my rifle, and use a larger sample size than just a handfull of groups.
I just started with some eley match (best so far, though it's the only one I've actually recorded).

The following are 5-shot groups shot at an indoor 100 meter range, with a CZ455 varmint (factory barrel)
Besides the first 5-shot group which was used to foul the barrel after cleaning, no groups were left out, no fliers discounted.
The groups were measured in millimeters at 100 meters, and have been calculated back to ~MOA (inches at 100 yards), and rounded off to 2 decimals.
sorted from high to low:

This averages: 1,05 MOA

I still have some SK Rifle Match, RWS Rifle Match, CCI Standard which I'll try over the following weeks, and keep you guys updated.
The eley match is a bit expensive, so hopefully I'll find something else that works just as well. If not, it's still probably the cheapest ammo with this level of accuracy from a non-match rifle.

What I would love to get started is a kind of reference on what should be possible with any type of rimfire rifle with any type of ammo (I realize it won't give any guarantees as to what works in your rifle, but it should help create realistic expectations).
So I ask you to contribute with the group sizes (preferably in moa, but mention the range) your getting with any type of ammo and rifle combination.