• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Recruiting Help: Size it Up

Ishikawa

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2006
Austin, TX
Hiders...got this cam pic off my Cuddeback. Sorting through, didn't look like we landed any good pics...then I saw this one and it made my heart pump a little faster. I'd like to recruit your help on sizing the buck up...I don't have any software to help modify the picture.

Thanks in advance to anyone with more photo-fu than I. The horns are clearly wider than the body...but they always seem to look bigger from behind. FWIW...central texas, just outside of Fredericksburg.

WOOT.jpg

Re: Recruiting Help: Size it Up

WOW...thx guys!

The deer here are smaller than yours though, so does that change your guesstimates? I'm guessing something around 14-15" body width (nothing like the hosses up north), however I'm not certain. My original take was 18-19" inside spread...but as I mentioned, I can't blow the picture up without losing the quality.

If anyone wants me to send original and they can modify, please let me know.

Best,
Max

I would sat 17-18" inside, Most of the time a deers ears are around 16" from tip to tip. Still a very nice deer.

yeah hes given you the sucker look you see them running away, swear they are a monster shoot them and walk up and they suffer from ground shrinkage. just kidding hes a nice buck hes pushing 20 outside i bet. good luck to you.

josh

im guessing he's about 18-19 inches wide, seems to have decent brows.. a good equation that my grandad came up with after keeping records of all bucks shot at our ranch is this.

Example:
10 point mainframe deer, you start at 100in. this is the total of your mainbeam length,circumfrence and spread. all you need to do now is add tine length. of course if the deer seems to have shorter or longer/ wider or narrower mb or spread you just add or subract.

for 8 points you start at 90, 95 if its a great buck(145+).
12 points you start at 110, but again every deer varies.

this is just what we have formulated after measuring hundreds of bucks, to guesstimate them more accuratly.

our ranch is in mexico, deer are different.

Guys...thanks for the keen eyes. If I average everyone, we're squarely in the 17-19" range which is a pretty nice buck for where we hunt.

That's the only picture I got of him since July...here's to hoping I get another. If not, here's to hoping he'll come to my rattling on opening weekend so I can size him up.

Best,
Max

My hunting style is different I suppose, but if you can coax him to live inside that pen with the others you might be able to grow him to an even better size, and then take him with a club, or tomahawk.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forty-One</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My hunting style is different I suppose, but if you can coax him to live inside that pen with the others you might be able to grow him to an even better size, and then take him with a club, or tomahawk. </div></div>

I hear ya! I grew up hunting in SW Arkansas...tracking patterns and setting up ambushers to hunt scrapes with a bow. Unfortunately, I only have access to this land which is owned by traditional Germans that don't allow bow hunting. I prefer to get out and pop off some rattling sequences.

Thanks for the great feedback though!

As a fellow Texas hunter I would guess your looking at a 8 point 18-19" spread, and maybe a 120" gross score. Hard to tell for sure with this pic, but that is my estimate.
B

LOL... i thought you were joking! now i see it. hard tyo tell from there. if it is an 8 it could be 130 max... nice g2's and pretty good brow tines. if he has short mains or g3's it will be in the low 120's. if it is a 10 it could be in the mid 130's. looks good from there tho.

I would say you will need a minimum of 300 wim mag or 338 lafua to drop that huge critter.