• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Red Cloud Echo Range on Ft Stewart

sawgunner2001

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Ft Stewart Rifle & Pistol Ranges:

Rifle Long Range: Bring your Rifles to zero or just shoot at distances of 100 - 1000 meters. We have targets for you or you can bring your own, we can put then at 100 - 500 meters. We have steel targets further out or you can bring your own steel targets, that we will put out for you. This range is Red Cloud Echo off HWY 119 North. You will get a 2 hour shooting block for $10. You can pay at Pass & Permit Office or onsite the day of the event (cash only, thank you).

Dates: 1 MAR, 5 APR, 3 MAY 2014

Times: 9AM - 2PM, First Saturday of the month.

Anyone interested in going? I haven't been there as a civilian (spent many rainy nights there as a grunt, though). I need to get out and stretch the legs of my rifle(s) and wouldn't mind some decent company to spot my shots and vice versa. I'll be driving from the Savannah area. I talked to "a guy" that says he's been there before and said the steel actually goes out to 1400yds.

Sounds fun. I'd like to come down and shoot if I'm off those weekends. I was stationed at Hunter back in the day. Spent lots of time down at Stewart..

I received a PM asking for some additional info. I've shared that info below. It's looking shaky if I'll be able to make it there next weekend or not.

sawgunner2001 said:
REDACTED said:
I saw your post about Ft, Stewart. What would I need to do to shoot there on May 3rd?

Thanks,

REDACTED

I'm really not sure. The way I understand it is, you would either stop by Pass & Permit to pay the range fees - OR - go directly to Red Cloud Echo (the range) and can pay with cash there. From here, it seems you just shoot and go home when you're done. I wouldn't attempt to get onto the garrison area with my guns with me, but as long as they are declared when at the entry checkpoint, I don't necessarily think that would be a problem, just a bigger headache than I'd want. I would bring my own water to drink while there and maybe a snack or two if you're the snacky type.

FYI: Red Cloud Echo can be accessed easily without entering the garrison area. Here are some screenshots I took. I noted the ranges by comparing the satellite images to a Ft. Stewart map I still have. I'm not sure where they fire from, I just picked a logical point and went from there to run a distance line. Here also is a link directly to the Fort Stewart MWR page:

Fort Stewart Morale Welfare and Recreation

Okay, here's what I learned. CALL before you go, 912-435-8061/8033. They were closed today due to impromptu National Guard training. Secondly, there were no checkpoints to go through, weapons being "checked," etc.

I'll try again next month.

Would be interested in going... only concern is if it is well run. I dont want to drive 3 hours to only shoot for a short time. Open from 0900-1400 can mean a ton of shooting or very little depending on the type of shooters and how the staff rums a range.

Anyone know if there is lots of cold time or is it hot and good to go?

I have a ton of steel, any specific details for target setups?

I ran into another guy who was showing up to find the range closed who explained that he's been there several times before. He said the guy that runs the range brings 3 pieces of steel, but that he's working to get more. I can call and check, but I think private steel targets are welcome. Shooters on the right side of the firing line put out their own targets. The range goes cold periodically to check/change targets. He said turnout is generally around 50 shooters.

Whoa...3 pieces of steel for 50 guys!? He said it works out pretty good; that most guys put out their own targets. I asked him if he enjoyed the range and he said that he felt that it was run really well and enjoyed going there.

This is the report of a guy (active duty Army) that I don't know. He seemed like a decent, responsible individual, but I only spoke with him for five minutes. I don't mind scouting the place and reporting back with my opinion since I'm only an hour away.

I'm planning on being there on the 3rd too. I've been meaning to go for months.... It looks like a fun and easy to use range from what I hear from co-workers...

I finally made it to the range today. I arrived at 09:30 with my brother-in-law and father-in-law and everyone was just standing around. Apparently there was some issue with Range Control that the range master had to sort out. The range master showed back up at around 10:15 or so and set out the targets, got everyone signed up, took our money, gave a quick safety briefing, and got the range hot at about 11:00. Cost was less than advertised at $10 per shooter for the day rather than the advertised $10/hr.

Outside the late start, the range was pretty organized. They set out paper targets at 100, 200, 300, 450, and 550 meters with steel silhouettes at 750 and 1000 meters. There were roughly 15 shooters on the line, but I was told that some folks showed up and left before my arrival at 09:30 cause they didn't want to wait.

Regarding the targets, there were plenty of paper targets for all the shooters who wanted to shoot at paper. And prior to the range going hot each time, we informally assigned targets. There was only one steel silhouette each at 750 and 1000 meters. There was additional steel, but I think it was brought by one of the shooters there and I didn't want to be rude and shoot at it. Additionally, I didn't really have a need to shoot at the additional (smaller) steel targets with the priorities I had going into this day.

I had to leave early (about 13:00) to get my brother-in-law to the airport. In the two hours I was there shooting, the range went cold once for target inspection/replacement.

With the exception of the late start, I was impressed with the range and how it was run. Unfortunately, my Savage 12LRP took a shit right after I got dialed in on the 1000 meter steel. That's beside the point however, as this thread is about the range...not my rifle.