Spotters  Red dot for lmss spotter?

khuber84

Aim small, miss small
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2008
Montana
I have a bushy lmss 8-40 tactical coming with pic rails and an arca base. I'd like to add a cheap red dot or prism sight for for eyeballing prior to getting on glass. Not wanting to spend a ton, can you guys give me some suggestions?
I may mount my sig kilo LRF on the spotter too if anyone can suggest a mount for that. Athlon will not sell their lrf mount separately.

Jefe's Dope

Red Forman
Minuteman
  • Dec 20, 2017
    Since there's no recoil to deal with, just about any red dot will work. Including NCStar type shit.

Reactions: khuber84

sam4886

Stunt Cock
    Minuteman
    May 15, 2019
    Eastern WA
    Is this for the newer lmss 2? I don't have a red dot suggestion for you, besides a couple of the venoms have worked fine on pistols for me.

I'd love to get your impression of the lmss 2 when you get it, if that's what you've got coming. I haven't been able to find hardly any real unbiased-ish reviews.

Thesepaperwings

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Jan 25, 2021
    Kansas City
    Is this for the newer lmss 2? I don't have a red dot suggestion for you, besides a couple of the venoms have worked fine on pistols for me.

I'd love to get your impression of the lmss 2 when you get it, if that's what you've got coming. I haven't been able to find hardly any real unbiased-ish reviews.
    What are you wanting to know? I might be slightly biased but I bash Bushnell as much as I praise them so it's worth a shot.

sam4886

Stunt Cock
    Minuteman
    May 15, 2019
    Eastern WA
    Just glass quality, mostly. How it compares to some of the others priced about the same, sub $2k. I'm casually shopping for spotters with a reticle, plus I like the size and weight for hunting.

khuber84

Aim small, miss small
    Minuteman
    Nov 29, 2008
    Montana

This is lmss gen1. I paid 750$ used. A grand cheaper than the g2. I will only use this at matches for milling target sizes and spotting for fellow shooters. I have a meopta s2 82mm for quality glass, and usually run my Zeiss Victory rf binos for finding and ranging targets.

Team RCBS & Bushnell

Commercial Supporter
    Commercial Supporter
    Minuteman
    Reactions: khuber84

Thesepaperwings

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Jan 25, 2021
    Kansas City
    Just glass quality, mostly. How it compares to some of the others priced about the same, sub $2k. I'm casually shopping for spotters with a reticle, plus I like the size and weight for hunting.
    The glass is great and hard to beat for the price. Edges could be a little better but it would massively increase price. The gen 1 thing I hated was the magnification ring was kind of hard to turn and it would throw you off target, the gen 2 is still right but adding a throw lever made a huge difference. Build quality is awesome of them because they are built like small bricks lol. Another bad thing is the NV rails are stupid expensive so don't for get to add that cost in if you plan on mounting NV to it.