• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Red Dot on CCW Pistol. Do you guys use them?

I do not have a red dot on my CCW for a couple of reasons. First, if you are pulling your weapon for self defense, most likely it is going to happen very quickly and within very close quarters. I feel there wouldn't be the time or need to take "a beed" and shoot. I believe it will be quick reaction, so, no need for a red dot. Second, if, God forbid, you are forced to shoot, the police will confiscate your weapon. I don't believe they would allow you to remove your red dot before they take your gun. Oh, as I am writing this I remembered reading that prosecution can, and probably will state having a red dot shows "intent". Pre planning on your part. Think it through before dropping money on a red dot for your CCW.

Jesus ... this is all complete hogwash. By your logic, simply carrying a gun could show intent, so you're fucked anyways. If you don't need to take a "beed" or aim then remove your SD/HD iron sights too. When you have zero sights on your gun for SD/HD then at least you'll walk the walk lol. If not, then your point is moot and a red dot is still a better aiming system, IF, you're actually trying to improve your shooting. If you don't care, then keep your iron sights and never aim your gun properly. No one on here is saying you NEED a red dot. We are simply saying, that given the same amount of training, most shooters with a red dot will outshoot someone on every level than that same person with iron sights.

You guys crack me up.
After reading your eye opening retorts, It's probably just dumb luck that anyone's ever hit a target or survived any type of gunfight before red dot sights were invented.
The average gunfight takes place at/or less than 3-5 yards.
A red dot sight isn't needed for a normal person that has functioning eyes and some range time.
They are recommended for the sight impaired, which many here obviously are and I commend them for their use of an aiming aid to keep them in the fight, or the truly lazy couch commandos that don't practice with their weapons enough to become proficient with them and need a red dot sight to compensate for their laziness.
I also don't need to buy a special holster for any of my pistol's and try concealing a red dot sighted snub nose in your front pocket of your shorts or jeans.
I've been an RSO and competitor in the military and shooting sports for almost 40 years and while I've seen some issues with iron sighted pistols, most relating to fiber optic rod issues or when a pistol was used as a hammer, but rarely have I seen an iron sight pistol leave the field because of the sight's being inoperable.
I can't say the same for red dot sights.
I've seen pieces of red dot and holo sights littered all over shoot houses and competitors leaving the range because their dots aren't working and they didn't have to tool to remove the sight, so they could continue using their iron sights.
Red dot sights have their uses, but their not for everyone, just as iron sights aren't for everyone and most naysayers are speaking from experience or they would be extolling the use of red dot sights.

"...blah blah blah, i've done this for 40 yrs ... blah blah". Sorry but the only thing this shows me is your unwillingness to observe and adapt to changes in the complex system of shooting. Complacency. Especially when guys who have also "done this for 40yrs" are so willing to transition and fully understand the benefits.

If the ONLY reason you carry or own a gun is for the chance that you'll use it at a distance of 3-5yds then take off all of your sights. If its anything besides that, then a red dot will allow you to shoot better with similar training input. Have you not heard the many testimonials on here and elsewhere saying how dot usage has made them BETTER iron sights shooters? Why do you think that is....

If you prefer irons, then thats cool too. But don't confuse your personal opinion with the overwhelming body of experience and data supporting dot usage. What I don't get is how guys can unequivocally support and run red dots on their rifles and then baulk at the idea of that transitioning to pistols....INSANE

My only issue is that my astigmatism bugs the fuck out of me with red dots, and while I can correct it with glasses, I generally choose not to because it is mild and I find other vision performance is impaired by doing so. If I were built more perfectly I'd definitely use a red dot. Or if I could find one that wasn't annoying.

I came to Frank’s place to learn about the art and science of precision rifle shooting. If some of the “information” in this thread is any indication, I’m going to have to radically increase my BS filter in those threads…. I know, I know, it’s the interwebs (a great place for those with no knowledge on a subject to say it).

Fun fact, the paper and the timer don’t lie about your real performance abilities, which can only degrade when it’s for realz. How much they degrade is directly related to how well you prepared.

But like a train wreck, I can’t look away.

there are absolutely thing you can do to simulate that adrenaline kick...
do some uspsa and idpa matches. the buzzer, and your buddies razzing you, def adds some adrenaline. and the hard leans, low ports and the like will test your ability to stay on the dot.

Reactions: gigamortis
the ones that say they're not good for conceal carry because they are bulky make me laugh the most. Get a good holster and belt like any CCW recommendation. Are they familiar with how tiny these things are?

img_1860-jpg.7360780

Reactions: 308pirate
"The prosecution acknowledges it was a clear cut case of self defense Your Honor, but upon further investigation he had small red dot sight."

"Clearly guilty. Life without parole."

Another life ruined by the well-documented legal precariousness of having a red dot on a carry gun...

:ROFLMAO:

You're factually incorrect about the bolded ^^^ words above... in truth, the fastest way to improve a newb's indexing and use of a dot optic is to tape over or remove the steel sights and force the shooter to focus on the target as the pistol is pushed forward. Conventional sights are only used as backup in the event the dot optic fails.

The myth that conventional sights 'help one find the dot' needs to die, as does the bad advice for shooters to fully co-witness their sights to the Dot. If one MUST have BUIS, the sights should be as low in the lens as possible- "lower third witness".
I think you're misunderstanding my intent, but I guess we're re-educating all the time? This isn't the ar15.com forum is it? I think it goes without saying that lower one-third is the only way to go. I haven't heard of anyone having to tape off sights to learn how to use a red dot, it seems a little silly that you can't have more control over what you look at and when depending on what you're trying to train. I would only use my BUIS in the event my dot failed or my glass broke. I don't even see them anymore. If you don't see the dot when you present, doesn't much matter if the irons are taped or not; simply waving your pistol around until you see it is not an efficient way to train.

However, iron sights could help you gain some reference point on the movement you're making when you present (Tom doesn't see dot, where are Tom's irons?) and allow you to modify that muscle memory if you find that you're continuing to end up in the same place. Correlate the position of your irons with your presentation and grip: "how am I ending up here?" If your irons are taped - and I have no idea how that helps a newbie as they have no reference point to begin with - you can't measure or accelerate improvement. You're just fishing for a dot in the dark. I think this might be a good way to train at a later stage but you're likely going to scare a newb. I'm willing to bet that an Acro is probably the best "first" red dot for a beginner if we're using visual cues to understand what we're doing wrong and how to fix those problems.

In training:
Put that same person talking to someone 3 feet away. Then mid sentence have bad guy pull a knife and start stabbing the “good guy” as many times as they can with a plastic training knife. While at the same time both fighting for control of the gun. When the 30 second drill is up see who notices the gun having any sights
I'm not sure this is a valid argument for irons or dots. If I'm about to be stabbed, am I trying to get a good front sight picture with either? How does the bad guy know I have a gun? Also, why did I let someone get that close to me to begin with if I'm "average joe" with a CCW? First rule is to be situationally aware and then AVOID that situation at all costs. I should have made some sort of visual and verbal acknowledgement of someone before they're within Tueller range much less 3 feet. If they're within 3 feet and you don't already have a hand on your weapon, going hands on is your only initial option followed by point shooting assuming you can draw your weapon without giving it away. Then there all sorts of other situational variables to factor in, mostly legal ones. This is the sort of gun-focused, self defense talk that steers newcomers to self-defense in the wrong direction.

In training:
Put that same person talking to someone 3 feet away. Then mid sentence have bad guy pull a knife and start stabbing the “good guy” as many times as they can with a plastic training knife. While at the same time both fighting for control of the gun. When the 30 second drill is up see who notices the gun having any sights

Induce the threat as well as the surprise factor into the shooting and see where iron sights guy and RDS guy stand afterwards. Shooting paper or steel isn’t the same when the target isn’t an active threat

Strawman argument

Reactions: SmolPP
However, iron sights could help you gain some reference point on the movement you're making when you present (Tom doesn't see dot, where are Tom's irons?) and allow you to modify that muscle memory if you find that you're continuing to end up in the same place. Correlate the position of your irons with your presentation and grip: "how am I ending up here?" If your irons are taped - and I have no idea how that helps a newbie as they have no reference point to begin with - you can't measure or accelerate improvement. You're just fishing for a dot in the dark. I think this might be a good way to train at a later stage but you're likely going to scare a newb. I'm willing to bet that an Acro is probably the best "first" red dot for a beginner if we're using visual cues to understand what we're doing wrong and how to fix those problems.

I taught myself how to get my index squared away enough to see the dot on the draw without the use of backup irons. It wasn't that difficult and it didn't take very long for two reasons:
  1. I'm analytical and methodical by nature
  2. I wasn't a new pistol shooter
I was done in about two weeks of semi regular dry fire. No need to fire a single round to learn how.

I do laugh at the guys at the range who pull up to a target, get their correct and preferred stance like they always do, pre draw and practice putting sights on target before re holstering the weapon.

Hands at the ready they wait for a beep they know is coming. Beep, fire and re evaluate the situation

In training:

Induce the threat as well as the surprise factor into the shooting and see where iron sights guy and RDS guy stand afterwards. Shooting paper or steel isn’t the same when the target isn’t an active threat

Most of your SD situations (at least in LE) are up close and that’s where the training is focused on. No Dept I’ve worked for or know of issue RDS on pistols and LEO train more for close contact SD situations then probably any other group. And that’s where most HD/SD situations will happen

No different than saying a PRS shooter would outshoot a Mil Sniper. Factors just aren’t induced just shooting at ranges

Sims or sim round/airsoft force on force training is the only way to know where you stand in a SD situation short of actually being in a real one. If you do force on force and not just target shooting then you can make a honest assessment of what works best for YOU. Not everyone else
Laugh all you want but at least they're getting some reps in which is more than you can say for most folks who CCW. I dry fire my rifles 5-10 times, in position (prone or otherwise), before going hot.. Probably wouldn't do that in Zombie Apocalypse but I still do it at the range.

Static drills are good for building into moving drills either as a warm up or to establish a benchmark. I started using this 50(ish) Round Playing Card Drill. Staple a playing card to a target backer (or print a bunch - to scale - like i did). Stand 2-3ish yards away and do the following sequence of shots. All shots must land in the playing card to move forward. Simulates a lot of grievances you have with SD training. Moving first then shooting - stoppages, reloads, etc.. all on the clock. Move out further as you master distances.

1648751343990.jpeg
1648751613050.jpeg

65yr old-as old school as a fucker can be....do it--don't "hunt"for the dot---if the target is centered in window,with correct hold,you;re good to go,but I don't shoot competition,so a 2-4" group center of mass is good enough for me.

there are absolutely thing you can do to simulate that adrenaline kick...

before drawing and acquiring a sight picture:
  • sprint
Icky. You lost me at sprinting. 69 years of being professional and never once needed to sprint! Let alone a few hundred yards. I only need to be able to rapidly cover 3-5 yards.

Jk 😜

I do laugh at the guys at the range who pull up to a target, get their correct and preferred stance like they always do, pre draw and practice putting sights on target before re holstering the weapon.

Hands at the ready they wait for a beep they know is coming. Beep, fire and re evaluate the situation

In training:

Most of your SD situations (at least in LE) are up close and that’s where the training is focused on. No Dept I’ve worked for or know of issue RDS on pistols and LEO train more for close contact SD situations then probably any other group. And that’s where most HD/SD situations will happen

No different than saying a PRS shooter would outshoot a Mil Sniper. Factors just aren’t induced just shooting at ranges

Sims or sim round/airsoft force on force training is the only way to know where you stand in a SD situation short of actually being in a real one. If you do force on force and not just target shooting then you can make a honest assessment of what works best for YOU. Not everyone else

This is from 2 years ago.

This is how I know you don't know shit from shinola despite your "40 years" of whatever bullshit you do.
Your retort is exactly what was anticipated from a close minded person that can't accept a differing opinion that others might not need or prefer a red dot sight on their CCW pistol.
I train CCW holders in the use of red dot's too, if they prefer to use them or I access that they could benefit from using one, but am not so close minded to figure out that not all people need or want to use an RDS, which is a mental block you just can't seem to get around.

Different stroke for a different folk. Some need or want a RDS and some don’t. That doesn’t mean one or the other will be more effective. It’s on the user and the situation to determine that

While we’re on the subject of RDS being more effective, iron sights being outdated and what not

Can anyone recall the RDS or optic choice of Simo Hayha?

Surely the deadliest sniper in history must have chosen a S&B, NF ATACR or Aimpoint of some kind

I ran out of popcorn so I might as well toss in my two cents worth. I am 66 as is my twin brother. My brother has troubles finding the dot and the problem is his index and setup. He is righthanded and cross eye dominate with a lazy eye and presbyopia. What a shit show from the get-go.

Anyhow, watch Rob Leatham's video "Aiming is Useless" at .

Then watch it again. What Leatham is really saying is your sight setup doesn't mean much if you can't make the gun go bang without disturbing the sight alignment. One of my favorite quotes from Leatham is along the lines of "Hitting the target is simple. But that doesn't mean it is easy." I'll be back later with more take it or leave it info. BTW, I started shooting competitively (rifle) when I was in the 7th grade. As my shooting improved I tried, and/or adopted changes in technology. The old adage, "It's the Indian, not the arrow," does have some merit. But there is nothing wrong with using a compound bow with carbon fiber arrows.

I bet if he had the option he wouldve taken one.
You sure he didn’t choose the irons for lower profile and being that’s what he was trained on that’s what he felt comfortable with and chose to use?

I have to guess that this is the same exact list of bullshit reasons fudds and those clinging to old technology gave against reflex sights on rifles 20 - 25 years ago.

Shit, the NRA and CMP started allowing LPVOs on Service Rifles I think 10 years ago and 1/3 of the people on the NM forum didn't even know how to use one, 1/3 thought they wouldn't last half a season without breaking, and the other 1/3 whined about the sport being destroyed.

Retards will retard

Simo probably would have given his left nut for an Aimpoint T2.

Keep in mind optics were shit in 1940., his shots were generally short range, and it was a bitterly cold winter.

But yeah, the world's best military snipers today always pick iron sighted bolt actions over semi autos topped with high end glass and backup red dot sights.

Reactions: SmolPP
KISS for me on my G19.

Heinie S8 0.156 rear and 0.125 front tritium.

I can understand their application and with proper training I have no doubt their effectiveness.

For my level of training and abilities the irons get it done for ROTCOM.

the truly lazy couch commandos that don't practice with their weapons enough to become proficient with them and need a red dot sight to compensate for their laziness.
I also don't need to buy a special holster for any of my pistol's and try concealing a red dot sighted snub nose in your front pocket of your shorts or jeans.
You've obviously got zero experience with the subject of discussion, probably best to quit talking whilst you're ahead.

You have to buy a special holster for every gun, dummy, it's made for the gun. It's as simple as checking "RDS cut" in the options for the holster.

If you'd spent any real time on it you'd recognize the advantages of target focus, seeing more of the target because the dot blocks less of your sight picture, speed on the move and definitely accuracy at distance...

But hey, fudds gonna fudd amirite?

If they go down, you still have irons, but let's just quit pretending... but a quality RDS and it ain't going down.

Aaron Cowan has a Type II RMR with 20,000 rounds on it and a shoulder height drop onto concrete every 500rds and it's held zero the whole time.

So go stroke your wheel gun with hi-viz sights.

I wasn’t red dots wagon till I got some training and insight from professionals. For me it’s red dots on practical every pistol I have that I can put them on i would suggest a closed emitter if you decide to carry imho I have both. On an appendix draw it’s about a two to three tenths difference from red dot to irons . First splits I typically average from .91-.97 on the red dots to 1.17-1.25 with the irons same shooting platform.

I’m not reading this 2 year old thread. Just gonna hop in and say I keep exactly 1 pistol with irons so that I can stay sharp(-ish) with them. Everything else wears a dot, even some China dots.

Whatever reasons people have for not having a dot on their carry gun are likely ill-informed nonsense. No I will not elaborate.

I've read some of it. What I can conclude is people need to stop giving advice.

Such is the internet.

This is what I do. And since I am the center of the universe, everything else is wrong.
Everything on this side of my opinion is stupid and beneath me.
Everything on that side is ridiculous and unrealistic.