• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Red dot question

krumfola

Private
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
For someone with astigmatism, would the issue of an unclear/not crisp dot be the same from different manufacturers?

I don’t have astigmatism (at least I don’t think I do) but the dot in my MRO is a tiny bit “starburst-ish”, especially when I crank up the brightness. It’s totally useable and I like it but I’m wondering if it would be the same with a T2 or an Aimpoint Pro. I looked through a friend’s Sightmark with the green reticle and damn was it clear. I was very surprised.

Does the dot color matter?

All dots "bloom" if the brightness is too high for the ambient light.

Reflex sights aren't precision aiming devices.

Reactions: krumfola
All dots "bloom" if the brightness is too high for the ambient light.

Reflex sights aren't precision aiming devices.

^^^^ This.. i will admit dots can vary in clarity/appearance from different manufacturers but most dots to me do start to “bloom” when you crank up the brightness. In my experience all the high end brands do it to my eyes and eotech does as well when cranked up.

I have bad astigmatism. Without some glass between my eyes and the dot — either my glasses or a magnifier, either will do — reflex red dots are blurry and holographic are a complete mess. Glasses or a magnifier clean them right up though.

I have reflex red dots on a couple guns that are strictly for HD/CQB affairs because inside 50yds it isn’t gonna matter much. Still use a cheap magnifier on a QD to sight them in though, ha:

1595803624063.jpeg

Why don't you guys who complain about blurry red dots just get some glasses or contacts and fix the real problem: your vision

That's what I did and now I don't have an issue with red dot, easily making hits on USPSA silhouettes all the way to 250 yards.

My glasses do fix it, I just don’t always have them on me (esp at home) because my vision otherwise is OK. Near sighted -1/-1.25 but with glasses on red dots are fine within the useful ballistic range of 5.56

I’d hate to miss surviving the apocalypse because I didn’t have my glasses with me or they broke early on so I plan my fantasy SHTF guns around it 😂

OP, I believe the MRO is just a reflex red dot in which case it would act the same as an aimpoint or a holosun or whatever other red dot that cleans up with some glass.

If you stare at the dot you will see more bloom, and indoor lighting seems to make it worse. Go outside and shift your focus to the target, don’t look at the dot.

Reactions: drewthebrave