• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes red dot sight on top off scope?? any good??

Bigchaza

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 7, 2012
AUS NSW
So current setup is short barrelled 308 win with a vortex 4-16 ftp and sphur mounts. Also i live in Australia so unfortunately i can't fix this problem with an AR or a pistol.

We have been having trouble with herds of feral goats of up about 100 eating up all of our pastures on my ranch so i have been working pretty dam hard to thin them out. Been finding that they have a tendency to flee uphill no matter what, (they are not that bright i think they are inbred). So if i stalk them and get uphill of them they will actually attempt to run towards me and ignore me . I've been having a lot of occasions where i start shooting at about 200metres and by the time they close in I'm hip firing from 5metres but more commonly about 30-50m.

I was thinking about adding a trijicon RMR05g (9MOA dot) to the top of my scope, how practical is this setup or is it tacticool and awkward?

I think in most cases it is a tacticool accessory, but unless you want to swap that 4-16x for a 1-x? or 2.5-x? power were you have a little bit bigger field of view I think it would work out. I know that there is another thread on here where a guy is contemplating using a SWFA HD 1-6 on his bolt gun full time and he shoots 0-400. If your goat engagements are only inside 200 might be something to look at. Trijicon not cheap optic and you can probably snag a lower power scope for about that much. If your 308 is already short barreled should make it much more fast to move. Wish I had a heard of 100 farrel goats I had to shoot......sounds like a good god damn problem to me.

Its only stupid when it is never used and just here for looks. best of luck my friend.

I would think about getting a lower power variable, 1x4. I have a vortex viper pst 1x4 on my 6.8 and its the cats ass. 4 power is good enough for shooting as far as the 6.8 will go and for the closer in stuff put on 1 power and turn on the lighted reticule for both eyes open like i do on my aimpoints. Very nice setup, and quick aiming. I have never attached a red dot onto another scope so i cant really say. I have aimpoints on 2 ar-15. Like them alot for their purpose but after having the vortex, i am thinking real hard about selling an aimpoint and getting another vortex 1x4 to replace it for one of the 5.56. For quick shooting or home defense its on 1 power and both eyes open aiming with lighted reticule and center dot and then can crank it up for hunting. Just my two cents. Good luck.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

I would like to keep the 4-16 scope as i quiet often do engage them out to about 500 although that range is not the most common as i try to get a bit closer to increase my kills, but i also enjoy the long range aspect of it so id like to keep the vortex. also i have been looking at the burris fast fire's which look the same as the trijicon for about a third of the price.

anyways keep the feedback coming in, does anyone use them and find them handy. Or have people used them and found them to be lacking, i want to know if they are any good for snap shots on walking or jogging targets at 50m inwards or if it just to awkward above the scope.

I feel burris makes good stuff, have never tried the type of sight you are talking about. Dont blame you wanting to keep the vortex, great scopes. If those stupid things run at you, are you allowed to own a semi auto shotgun or pistol? Maybe a pump shotgun? Load it up with buckshot, before you engage, unsling it and lay it down or up against a tree. When the stampede begins towards you grab the 12 guage and mow em down. Or take out your 1911 or glock, whatever and do the same. I do think your idea for mounting a smaller red dot along with your scope is a good idea. Will just have to use a ring with the top half that is a rail type to be able to mount the red dot.

Just re read your post, i see where you cant use a pistol. That sucks. Not familiar with your mount. Heard of them but have never handled them. I would like to come help with your problem, sounds like fun and anything to help out a farmer.

Set the scope on 4x and run that bolt fast. Consider a bayonet or ballbat inside 5 meters. :D

Seriously, go to YouTube and look for Sauer 202 hunter's video.

Last edited:
I've never tried either myself, but we have terrible feral hog problems on our farm and I hate to see any other farmer in such a pickle, so--

See if you can practice keeping both eyes open so your brain can overlay the scope reticle onto your off eye.

Or put a red dot on a mount that you can offset to your strong side. At close range, tilt your rifle for a clear view. Here's one that TNVC carries. SAR3P (30mm) ? Tactical Night Vision Company

I would put a good 1-6 or 1-8 scope that has a daylight reticle.

i reckon i might give it a go and get a burris fast fire they are really easy to attach to sphur mounts and if it turns out to be crap ill just sell the sight on ebay if it fails should only cost 50$ if it works then great. still if anyone actually uses this setup would love to hear there feedback