• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Red dot target acquisition aid in PRS?

ZeroMOA

Private
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2017
WA
Why don’t we see more people using small red dots to aid in fast target acquisition in PRS?

Cost?
Weight?
No advantage?

Seems like they might make it faster to acquire targets than flipping your zoom back and forth with a throw level? But I don’t compete much, so maybe I’m missing something?

I just added backup red dots to some of rifles (picture below), I’ve been loving them so far, can leave scope zoomed in more often, what am I missing here?

15C69FB6-D2F7-45C7-897E-96B0CF8A6D8E.jpeg

Reactions: Mozak
I had a rifle set up that way for a while, seems more intuitive to use a lower mag setting where you have a wider field of view.

You aren't breaking your position as much that way either.

Reactions: Sheldon N
I have been thinking really hard about putting one on top of my AMG. The last match I went to had a bunch of targets that were hard to find even at 5x .

I'm not a PRS guy so not sure why more don't use that, but I like the idea for rifles that may be used to shoot short range and long, I had a similar setup on my Schmidt 5-20 Ultra Short when I had it. This was similar to the ECOS-O idea for the military

20160402_PROOF_FD_65CM_0004.jpg

Don't want to have to transition head positions once on target.

Better thing IMO is working on the skill of acquiring target with the naked eye then pointing rifle and having the target come up already in the scope's field of view. Huge time saver on stages with multiple positions and multiple targets with short time frames to shoot in.

I don't flip my zoom around. Set the scope around 12-15 power for most stages then leave it alone.

I do something similar on my hunting rifles (dot sight mounted at the 4 o clock position) for game that pops out at short range but I guess the top PRS guys are so friggin' awesome, they do not need it. Like 4 targets staggered from 300-800 yards, hit in less than 12 seconds. To do that, there is not time for anything else than aiming, pulling the trigger, and cycling the bolt.

Last edited:
Reactions: tools2teach
Like others, I don't want to break position for the sake of speed. The more I compete the lower the magnification setting I use. My 624i spends more time at 6x than anywhere else. I rarely use anything above 16x unless I'm spotting for someone. When I started I never went below 16x. Guys would see me fishing around for the target and I would hear people yelling, "turn down the magnification".

More toys is not going to make you a better shooter. It could help, but could do the opposite by adding more shit, complexity and wasting time. The more you practice the better you will get. A red dot isn't going to improve your score.

I ran one last year at the New England PRS match. Lots of picking out targets against mountain sized fields of green. It absolutely made my life easier, despite a modest head position adjustment to get back to the scope. For the size/weight I think it's worth it. A few rounds of ammo weigh more than the mini red dots you can buy today.

ETA - I'm not a great (or even good) shooter, but a couple of ranked shooters had a good look at my setup.....

Like others, I don't want to break position for the sake of speed. The more I compete the lower the magnification setting I use. My 624i spends more time at 6x than anywhere else. I rarely use anything above 16x unless I'm spotting for someone. When I started I never went below 16x. Guys would see me fishing around for the target and I would hear people yelling, "turn down the magnification".
You bring up an interesting point that I've seen from some others as well. If this is truly the case, why are the 5-25's or similar the dominant magnification range on the circuit? Why not say something like the Schmidt 3-20 which still gives you up to 20x but has a lot more FOV down at 3x than the 5-25 does at 5x? Is it perception or is the need for 25x a greater benefit than the need for <5x within the competitions? Could also be a training and muscle memory thing, where you learn to dial back between shots. Our bodies do funny things under stress and pressure which is why the Military and LE train the way they do, repetition builds into your muscle memory so when stress enters the equation your body still reacts properly.

Kind of reminds me of how Inspector Clousaeu trained with Cato - you never know when someone is going to jump out at you, always good to have a friend ambush you at the most inopportune times :LOL:

Last edited:
Why don’t we see more people using small red dots to aid in fast target acquisition in PRS?

Cost?
Weight?
No advantage?

Seems like they might make it faster to acquire targets than flipping your zoom back and forth with a throw level? But I don’t compete much, so maybe I’m missing something?

I just added backup red dots to some of rifles (picture below), I’ve been loving them so far, can leave scope zoomed in more often, what am I missing here?

View attachment 6871218
What MOA reticle are you using?

I run offset red dots on my ARs, but haven't talked myself into needing one on a PRS rig. Not even once. Zoom out to increase field of view, find target, zoom in. The only instance I can think of where that might really be handy are the stages where you're not allowed to touch your scope after the timer starts, and you aren't allowed to touch your zoom or turrets. The RDS might allow you to do the stage with a higher magnification on the scope, since you can get on target with the RDS.