• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Red Dot

Pete B

Private
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Question: If you were to use a scope mounted red dot sight to assist in initial target acquisition, what MOA would be recommended?
Not totally sold on the idea, but I can pick-up an aimpoint (2moa) cheap and move it on with no loss if needed.
I have seen it discussed before to varying degree's and mostly people place it in the "not worth it" pile, though my distance vision is crap, and I would prefer not to wear glasses when shooting.
Yes I am aware there is no mag in these sights, but do wonder if having a dot to place out into the blurry field may actually be of benefit to those with less than hawk like vision.
As stated previously, I can pick one up, but it will take some organizing and if the consensus is "my sight is crap also and it never helped me", well I will probably save the heart beats for something else. Hopefully not fucking glasses!!! lol
Thanks
Pete

What are your eyes worth? Wear prescription safety glasses.

What are your eyes worth? Wear prescription safety glasses.
Mate, appreciate the time that must have taken you and the advice. Can you offer any other information regarding the subject?

Yes, I may be left only with that option, though it will be a balancing act to set it for distance and still read my turrents.
Once again, yes many people do this or have no other option........ Hence the question of is it worth it.
Cheers
Pete

Mate, I too struggle with not being able to read my turrets or being able to focus on my target. Glasses are my only option. Good luck.

Reactions: Pete B
2 MOA is a good size. Big enough to easily pick up with your eye while small enough to not completely obscure your target at distance. Of course that's dependent on your target size and distance. 2 MOA is 2 MOA, pretty easy to figure out how much target it will obscure. 2" at 100 yards, 20" at 1000 yards.

I run a 2.5MOA DeltaPoint Pro on top of my optic, it really helps with wide target transitions at longer ranges that can't be readily seen with the naked eye. It's not absolutely necessary, but it's definitely faster than using the turret to index on the target. I don't use it to shoot, but rather to find the target before dropping into my main optic.

2 MOA is a good size. Big enough to easily pick up with your eye while small enough to not completely obscure your target at distance. Of course that's dependent on your target size and distance. 2 MOA is 2 MOA, pretty easy to figure out how much target it will obscure. 2" at 100 yards, 20" at 1000 yards.
Thanks Jefe, not wanting it for actual sighting, only to place the target within the FOV of the scope as quickly as possible.
Cheers
Pete

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
I run a 2.5MOA DeltaPoint Pro on top of my optic, it really helps with wide target transitions at longer ranges that can't be readily seen with the naked eye. It's not absolutely necessary, but it's definitely faster than using the turret to index on the target. I don't use it to shoot, but rather to find the target before dropping into my main optic.
Hi mtruong, thanks for your input and it is exactly what I am seeking. Obviously a lot of peoples opinions are it is an unnecessary extra step / practice more acquiring your target over your optic / scope power setting. Ultimately if there was ONE best way of doing things, we would all hopefully be doing it or the guy that is, would be the only guy winning.
Some blokes in the US don't understand how lucky you are regarding the shear access to try different set-ups before purchasing! lol
Aarh, one day perhaps...........
Thanks
Pete

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
Ended up grabbing a 2moa Aimpoint, and have now had a few outings with it.
Mounted on Spuhr rings, just infront of the elevation turrent.
Honestly loving it, and I have spent enough money on shit that hasn't worked out before to let the $$$ just make me like it......
Don't rule out trying it because most aren't wanting it..... If everything / one operated the same, all our gear would be clones.
One persons opinion.....
Cheers
Pete