• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Red Dots on Long Guns

Scrumbag

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2020
U.K.
Is anyone else more and more liking red dots on their long guns. I've suddenly noticed I've gotten rather a few.

It started with me looking for a way to put an optical sight on my 9.3x62 - an old hunting rifle that wasn't drilled and tapped so a scope wasn't an option but a good buddy of mine suggested a reflex dot on a custom cut dovetail mount to replace the front sight.

So, I tried it and liked it:

yH7rTaCl.jpg

Next came the pump shotgun. Here in the UK we shoot pump actions and semi autos at turning targets with slugs. I tried my supernova with an iron sighted slug barrel but hated the sights (just grey on grey and lost them) so a bit of "googling" turned up the Burris Speed Bead and a Fast Fire III (3MOA)

UeYNz2il.jpg

3VY2PnGl.jpg

JAkPwtKl.jpg

GQH4Cgsl.jpg

And a big improvement in enjoyment and scores. Not the last time I’ll put a red dot on a shotgun it turns out...

Then there came the lever action.

Started off with a red dot, went to a scout scope then decided to go back to a red dot (mainly because of local range rules it isn’t so easy to shoot shotgun slugs but a 44 mag lever action is no problem). So, for the same sight picture as my slug guns, have gone back to another Burris:

o17UBDul.jpg

(Must get a better picture)

Them came the idea of what to do with a rifle I had that I wanted to use for hunting but I had a 6-24x56 scope on with a very fine ret and I had an 8x56 fixed scope sitting around. This 8x56 is great for sitting in a dark wood but not great for quick target acquisition if you bump a deer on the way in or out. So, borrowing from the tactical and 3 gun crowd I put a red dot on the side of my 8x56 and took it hunting:

OSCNKFzl.jpg

A2LrLW9l.jpg

yskA4tTl.jpg

(That’s actually on my little Brno .22lr that I used to practice / work up with to see if I liked the concept). It went on the 7x64 Mausingfield after that).

Finally, there’s the other shotgun.

It’s a Fabarm H368 (Not sure they went to the US). Anyway, with a 26” multi choke and a 24” rifle sighted barrel for not a lot of money it was too good to pass up.

Ri8PoKul.jpg

02qCUgtl.jpg

Think it looks cool “naked” using the man sights (fibre optics and really need to see when I can get it zeroed with those as well).

Anyway, given how much I liked my pump with a red dot, thought might as well stick a Burris on that. Given the receiver has ~11mm dovetail grooves, thought I might try and use those.

5wlyirQl.jpg

GrveDW2l.jpg

You can get a dovetail mount from people like Recknagel and Rusan in Europe that lets you mount red dots to dovetails quite easily but they have a little retaining pin in the underside:

BzPM4JLl.jpg

So, there needed to be a small hole drilled in the receiver of the Fabarm:

77eQVGMl.jpg

After that, it became a simple matter of mounting the red dot on with the QD dovetail mount.

bUwBFb3l.jpg

wODIQ2Wl.jpg

zFzCRyKl.jpg

lry6qWWl.jpg

So, I like that system as don’t have to have a bulky rail in the way if I want to go from slug shooting to wing shooting and that appeals (The Benelli with the Speed Bead you have to unscrew stuff to take the red dot off, rather less neat).

Here's sort of the sight picture:

mMmdJ09l.jpg

And the gun in it’s entirety (Stock actually fits me well so need a bit of lift to be aligned with the red dot)

cbWFV9G.jpg

So, apparently like I like red dots. A lot…. (Hello. My name is Scrumbag and I’m a red-dot-aholic…) Anyone else using red dots on their long guns more than they thought they would?

Scrummy

Very nice sir!

Love my little CZ527 in .223 Rem. Had it out last week for a Chinese Water Deer. Even ate some steaked haunch for lunch today.

KzeaLGQl.jpg

3v8ooVRl.jpg

pQ1Zgw8l.jpg

I have a recknagel adapter for the dovetail somewhere. Used to put a red dot on it as cheap practice for the 9.3x62.

What's your CZ chambered in?

You’re not alone. I put one on my turkey shotgun (wrapped Rem. 1100M) and liked it so much I am putting one on my Mossberg 500 and my Win. M94 in 45 Colt. The Winchester is going to make a really nice short-range deer/pig popper.

Attachments

• IMG_0264.jpeg
    IMG_0264.jpeg
    573.3 KB · Views: 37
You’re not alone. I put one on my turkey shotgun (wrapped Rem. 1100M) and liked it so much I am putting one on my Mossberg 500 and my Win. M94 in 45 Colt. The Winchester is going to make a really nice short-range deer/pig popper.
Yeah I find shooting static targets with a bead a non-starter so the red dots really help. My lever action is a 44 mag and is a great handling little rifle.

I have a Bushnell HoloSight on my Marlin 336LTD. For shorter range work out to 150 yards the red dots are fantastic with fast target aquisition.

To be honest, at the ripe age I'm having enough eye issues that iron sights are pretty much approaching uselessness to me. RedDots fix the eye issue for me without sacrificing the quickness of use that ironsights give.

I love red dots on all kinds of guns, shotguns included. It’s funny to see the skeet guys go “you’re not gonna hit anything with that!” Then they try it and go “This is cheating.”

As I mentioned in my thread which a few folks missed/didn't bother to read, I put Eotechs on my pumps for the same reason as the gentleman who posted right above U, bad eyesight which was getting worse.

Once I had surgery on both eyes, the target wasn't "fuzzy" anymore, but I was still quicker w/the Eotechs raising the gun up and acquiring center mass w/the "circle" in one motion than I could using iron sights.

Don't get me wrong, U should practice using iron sights for when the time comes and U have a malfunction, but if using a RDS improves your performance use it whether somebody else believes in it or not.

Last edited:
I used the BadAce Tactical mount on a Spanish 8mm Mauser. Any of these old surplus rifles with awful sights (Mauser, Mosin, SKS for example) are way better with red dot. And nothing is permanent so it can be reverted back to the original configuration. I eventually put a scout scope on it using the same mount. So much more fun to shoot for these old eyes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scrumbag
I would like to put a red dot on a Talley scope base. Anyone know if someone makes a mount for a Talley base?

Very nice sir!

Love my little CZ527 in .223 Rem. Had it out last week for a Chinese Water Deer. Even ate some steaked haunch for lunch today.

KzeaLGQl.jpg

3v8ooVRl.jpg

pQ1Zgw8l.jpg

I have a recknagel adapter for the dovetail somewhere. Used to put a red dot on it as cheap practice for the 9.3x62.

What's your CZ chambered in?

This guy likes red dots on rifles

I believe they call it getting old! 🤣

I finally bought a few to run on pistols. It'll be about 20k rounds before I'm confident.

I don't have tight brush to shoot in, so I generally go to magnified optics. Open grass with sparse cover means a 3-18 or 4-20 is optimal even if I end up taking a short shot in "tight" brush that's only 75 yards.