• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision red laser with pvs-14

dieselten

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I am getting a pvs-14. I will be using it on a few different rifles. I will also get a mil spec 3x for it. On one rifle I am thinking of just a red laser and the pvs-14 with 3x. Will the red laser be too bright? Is there a civilian option for an adjustable intensity red laser? What is the best red laser available to civilians that will mount on an AR15 rail - good adjustments, hold zero,....

Thanks

Re: red laser with pvs-14

Generally speaking, visible lasers are too bright for night vision.

I've actually had some luck with a really low powered airsoft laser by a coworker that was using it on his croquet mallet.

The thing was handed to me free and is really weak, so I tried it out with my NV and it actually worked fairly well, not too much bloom decent range etc.. I never did mount it on a rifle (probably just fall apart)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefan73</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PEQ2's seemed at times too bright! </div></div>

Actually the PEQ's with their Lo/Lo settings do better than most out there. That is why I like the Atilla so much. Dial up or down the power you need.
smile.gif

Red laser use COLOR camera film for a filter to reduce the blooming,Try diffrent exposure to change brightness to your needs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ASM1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Red laser use COLOR camera film for a filter to reduce the blooming,Try diffrent exposure to change brightness to your needs. </div></div>

The other solution is to use various neutral density filters to cut down on the light coming out of the laser. These are frequently used in the laser microscopy world to regulate the amount of light getting to a sample. You would have to fab something up though to hold it in front of the lens.

One quick and dirty approach in that vein would be take a set of dark sunglasses and shoot the laser through them to see if the reduction is enough and then try to fab something out of that.

would the IR filter for a stream light flash light work? If placed in front of the red laser?

It won't change the light to IR, if that's what you are after. The light from the laser is a tight beam of a particular wavelength, there is not much, if any, light from outside that wavelength in the beam.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselten</div><div class="ubbcode-body">would the IR filter for a stream light flash light work? If placed in front of the red laser? </div></div>

As cory said, in theory it wouldn't do much depending on the filter since its meant to block specific IR wavelengths of light in 800nm+ neighborhood. Now in practice, depending on how broad the wavelengths it filters it may actually work.

In theory you need a filter that partially blocks red wavelengths (620–750) specifically the one wavelength your laser is at i.e. 650/560 or 635 are typical for red lasers. the filter can block other wavelengths too since you don't really care. The neutral density filters I mentioned block most wavelengths at 10-90% and are stack-able.

Also, in a very basic sense a set of sunglasses would be ND filters.