• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes RED or GREEN Reticle?

Shibumi

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2004
Las Vegas
Looking at reticles, and USO has the option of using a red or green reticle.
I know that green is easier on the eyes, etc. reducing fatigue, but I would like to hear from users of both.
Any reason to go with one or the other?
Pricing is same, so apples or oranges?
Thanks for all input!

Re: RED or GREEN Reticle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JMHO but if you can't see the crosshairs, odds are you can't see the target.</div></div>

Not so with FFP reticles, low magnification and cluttered fields of view.

I have looked through my Falcon on 4x, been able to ID the target just fine, but could not pickup the reticle.

This is why I ordered an illuminated reticle on my SN-3. I went with Red because I was always taught that red would not washout your night vision. We used red lights in the field and I never had an issue. I have also not had an issue with the red dot on my Aimpoint. So far I love the red illumination on the GAP reticle. It's clean and doesn't bloom.

I wish I had the ducats to see how well it worked with a PVS-22, but I am working on that.

What do you mean it does not "Bloom"?
Fuzz out and distort?
Thanks!

Yes, it's where the lines are no longer crisp.

Think of an Aimpoint. When you are in a dark room if you have it up to high, it's not a dot. It's more like a flower. When you turn the intensity down, it becomes a "dot".

Well the SN-3 stays very crisp up to about 9. 10 starts to bloom a little where you can see the reflection of the reticle on other glass. 11 is a bit worse, but still totally usable. 11 is so bright that I would never think about using it at night and 8 and 9 is still probably too bright for even the urban jungle. Setting 1 is VERY dim. It's so dim that I almost wonder if it's intended for use with something like a PVS-14. The next time we are doing night training I may try to borrow a -14 and see if the reticle is too bright for it on the lowest setting.

I have a cheap illuminated scope around here that sucks at just about any intensity, but then again I just got it for daylight plinking on my .22.

Wish you were out here in the midwest. I would be happy to take you out for a night shoot and let you play with it.

I like red for all the reasons LWUSMC said.
I used it with my SN3 for night shoots and will not buy a decent scope that doesn't have illumination again. When you need an illuminated reticle it makes all the difference in the world.

Lonewolf,
Great explanation. Did not want to make assumptions.
Thanks for the offer.
I believe I will stick with Red, unless someone makes a lifechanging revelation on why I should go with Green!

Sobrbiker,
Great point!

Green actually looks pretty nice and crisp. I have hade Red before for illumination but the green will grow on you.
I have MDmoa Ret. & it is a fine lined subtention marked Ret. so the lines stay pretty nice and clean when the power range is turned up to the higher powers on the scope when the Retical size grows to accommodate the power range. But I really only use the Illuminated ret. when the light is almost gone or is gone.
(surprising) Green also looks pretty good also with NV. even though the main color of the projected image is that NV green tone, the crisp Green Ret. looks nice up against the image.

Humans have evolved to see red first. The brain puts it at the top of the conscious priority list. For anything requiring absolute speed, red is best.

Green <span style="font-style: italic">is</span> easy on the eyes. If you need to be staring for a long time through a reticle, green's good. But a pair of binos is better, using both eyes helps reduce eyestrain, and the binos have a field of view that is better for observation.

Red will provide you the most dynamic range. Ie it will allow you to see the dark areas of the scope as well as possible while still seeing the reticle. Dynamic Range is the same in light as it is in radio and audio applications. The larger your dynamic range the bigger the delta between the lightest thing and the darkest thing that you can see.

The eye is most sensitive to green and sees green things better than any other color. So if you have the same power providing a green light and a red light the green light will look much brighter.

Usually if you end up using it you really only need a very small amount of illumination the red will be more readily available to provide a small amount of light.

~Brett

Alot of interesting input here on red vs green illumination. I have 2 SN3's scopes, one is lit red and one is green. I have not noticed one color having an advantage over the other. The Green dose appear a little brighter than the red. I have no experience with night vision so I cant offer any info in regards to NV. As long as you get an illuminated reticle color selection wont matter.

If your concern is to preserve night vision, red is your friend. Green light will disipate the rhodopsin (the chemical that enables us to see at night) from the eyes. Rhodopsin tolerates red light much better. Can't remember where I read this, but I don't imagine it would be too hard for you to verify this.

Cool! Thanks for the science....Always appreciated extra knowledge.
Red it will be!

A Fucking Rebuttal, to post above yours ... dude I shoot all the time at night with the Green Ret. and I have no problem what so ever.with vision impairment. For Lighting. We are not talking but ( minimal ambient ) for a ' Retical signature ' to view threw the Ocular.
(imho) Red or Green is ONLY a personal choice or Preforence of color.

Nothing scientific to add, but I have been very happy with my red reticles in my NF scopes.

All my NF have red, so I went green on the USO I have on order. Saw a few pictures of green reticles--figured I'd give it a try.

Not too scientific but I have revolvers with red and green tru-glow front sights and my old eyes pick-up the green MUCH faster than the red. I am thinking a Trijicon with green on an AR over the red myself....YMMV.

Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not too scientific but I have revolvers with red and green tru-glow front sights and my old eyes pick-up the green MUCH faster than the red.....
Pat </div></div>
Ditto here. Green tru-glows are MUCH plainer and easier for me to pick up on, which is why I went with green in my USO. I really like the green a lot better than the red in my NF, but as others have said, I don't use night vision so I can't comment on that score.