• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Red Stags (and now DUCKS) in NZ

CCarls

Private
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2007
New Zealand
Don't post here too often, usually just lurk, but figured you guys might like to see some pics and such from a red deer hunt last weekend here in New Zealand. I also wanted to see if you guys had any recommendations for inexpensive binocs for glassing. If I had the money to get nice ones I would but I'm a broke student so gotta. I don't really have a price range as I'll have to save up for anything. Just trying to find the cheapest pair that work well enough.

Disclaimer: you'll have to excuse my photos. A lot were taken in low light with the iso cranked or from far away with my weak zoom so they're cropped so you can see the animals. I was more worried about the hunt than getting good pictures and the panoramas were hastily slapped together.

I made buddies with a hunting guide here and last week he called me up and asked if I wanted to go help him out on a hunt he was guiding for red stag on the east coast. I jumped at the chance. He was an experienced guide with 10 years here and a bunch of time in BC before that guiding for moose, bighorns, etc so I was eager to tag along and learn.

We only had one evening and the following morning due to the client's work schedule and we were chasing one particular (huge) stag so it was a challenge. The client had taken 3 nice stags with him scoring in the 260-280 range and was dead set on getting the one of the elusive bigger guys that are on the 14k acre station. We got out to the station saturday afternoon and headed straight up into the mountains.

The mountain in the distance was the area we were hunting.
hunting010.jpg

On the way up to the spot we were headed to look for the big red stag we spotted a young red stag a huge fallow buck. Jason guessed he was a 200+ class buck. He had big palms and guard tines. He was about 600 yards away.

hunting013.jpg

He was a big boy but after some hemming and hawing it was decided that we would stick with the plan and look for the red. They had seen the big guy in an open area on the back side of the mountain. We set the client on the edge of the opening and we climbed way up an opposite peak to get a good look of the whole opening.

Our vantage point
huntingpana2.jpg

It was an amazing view from up there and we glassed the opening for a while and got a look at a whole bunch of deer. There had to be 20 of them in the opening that was about 300x2000 yards. There were some stags out ranging from some young 6s to some medium 8s and 10s. Jason said they were small compared to the one we were after though. It's after the end of the rut but a couple stags were still roaring which was real cool to hear.

One of the stags with some hinds. I think he was an 8
hunting023.jpg

After a bit, Jason sent me to catch up with that fallow buck and get a better look at him. Worked my way around the knob we were on and headed back along the top of the ridge parallel to but way above the route we had come in out to another knob which I worked my way around to avoid skylining and setup to get a good look at the mountain side.

hunting061.jpg

I sat up there and glassed for a good while but just couldn't find him. There were some fallow and red hinds out and as the sun started to set the young 6 point red stag we had seen near the big fallow came out into the opening directly below me to graze.

hunting021-1.jpg

I took it as a good sign, hoping they had headed the same direction but shortly after he came out I finally got a look at the big fallow buck as he came out of a clump of trees to graze. He was nearly a mile away though and I couldn't get a good look at him through the binocs. With the light failing fast and him so far away I quickly glassed a route out to him and grabbed my pack. I worked back around the knob down to a draw and worked my way up as quick as I could over to the backside of the ridge so I could move quick without spooking. The view was amazing from the ridge as you could see a good stretch of rugged country and the coast but I didn't want to take the time to pull out the camera. I was determined to get to that fallow before dark.

When I figured I had gone far enough down I found a spot with some trees for protection to avoid being spotted as I came over the ridge and by luck crossed right over into the draw I had determined would be the best way to get down to him. The light was fading fast and I worked my way down and up another knob as fast as I dared. As I crawled over the top of the knob, I could see him grazing contentedly...on the other side of the clump of trees. With the low light I just couldn't get a good look at him between the breaks in the trees and with no quick spot to reposition I decided to not risk spooking him and hoofed it back to the meeting spot.

When I got back I found out they had seen over 30 reds including the big boy just as light was failing but couldn't get down to him before the light was gone. When we got back to the cabin, Jason showed me a video they had taken of him on an earlier scouting trip and he was definitely a real big boy. He had guessed him to score well over the 300 mark.

The next morning we got up and were up on the mountain before sunrise. On the way up we jumped a big black boar but he was ignored in the interest of the red. This time we went straight to the clearing and worked our way down the bush on the edge to a point near the bottom where we could see the whole area they had spotted him the night before. As we worked through the scrub we saw a bunch of fallow and reds but nothing big enough to distract us.

A few fallow hinds grazing with a couple of the station herefords. There was a couple different colors in the herd, most notably the big white one. There's a red hind in there too.
hunting024.jpg

We got setup in some brush at the edge of the clearing and there were deer all around. There was a decent 10 and a couple 8s and 6s including one particularly amorous one that apparently didn't get the memo that the rut was over and was still chasing hinds. After a little while the big guy roared up in the tiger country behind the clearing. It was way to tight in there to go in after him so we decided to pull out and leave him for another day instead of risking bumping him.

We decided to go take a look and see if we could find at the big fallow buck and headed back to the top of the ridge to get a look.

huntingpana3.jpg

We weren't expecting much since it was the middle of the day and didn't have any luck so we worked our way back up to the knob where I had first spotted him the night before.

huntingpana.jpg

We found a wallow on the way up
hunting064.jpg

Again nothing was out but the odd hind so we decided to split up with Jason taking the client along the ridge while I went to the bottom to glass from a different angle, hoping to catch him bedded down in one of the clumps of trees.

You can just barely see them up on the knob I had glassed from the night before.
url]

We worked our way all the way down the ridge but couldn't get a look at him. There was a red hind and her yearling and a group of 5 fallow hinds but the big guy had taken refuge in one of the dense areas of bush for the day. We had to call it a day and get the client back.

Though we didn't end up taking one of them but in retrospect we only had one real day and we got 2 big animals located. If we had more time we could have nailed them and maybe if we had put more pressure on them we could have gotten one in that time but decided it better to leave them undisturbed to go after next time. Plans are already in the works to get back out.

I thought I'd be bummed if we didn't take something but it was a blast. The weather was gorgeous and the scenery was amazing. I got an open invitation to go any time he went out and I'll definitely be out any chance I get. I want to get out on one of the sambar hunts and some of the other animals he guides for on different properties. I need to get myself a pair of good binoculars now and a better zoom lense.

A couple miscellaneous pics from the weekend

A stag with some hinds
url]

Another stag
url]

Another one
url]

A couple paradise ducks
url]

Re: Red Stags in NZ

You need to post more often
smile.gif
Those are some nice pics and a good story of the hunt.

Thanks. Hopefully we'll get back out soon to take a crack at the big guy or get over to the other coast to have a go at some sambar which should be sweet. I'll get some pics when that happens. I really want to get down to the south island with him and check out some tahr hunting. They live in some gorgeous country.

I didn't take this pic but just to give you an idea of the country they hunt them in...
http://www.nagsnstags.co.nz/Images/WFO-Species-Tahr1.jpg

Well I figured instead of starting up a new thread, I'd just add to this one.

This weekend was the opener for ducks here and I got the invite to tag along. Mallards are the most commonly hunted species but there are also paradise ducks (second most common), spoonbills, black swans, some canadian geese. There are also two kinds of teals but they can't be taken by law. It was just my buddy going out and one of the big game guides that works for him. Waterfowl isn't a big part of the business as they mainly cater to North Americans and no one wants to fly halfway around the world to hunt something they can hunt at home. We went to a place nearby and joined up with some of my buddies friends and their kids for the evening hunt.

We got out there just before 3, well before the ducks started flying, and dropped by the blind (called a maimai here) to say hi. It was a cool group of guys but I've yet to meet a kiwi hunter that's hard to get along with.

The walk out to the ponds
duckshooting001.jpg

That black spot is my buddies flat coated retriever that was doing the hard work for us.

The view from the one blind with the flatty getting a in depth look at the terrain.
duckshooting002.jpg

The flatty wondering when the ducks were going to start flying
duckshooting003.jpg

They had a full house so we went over to the other blind and cleared some brush around it and set up decoys.

Tossin dekes
duckshooting008.jpg

The flatty making sure what was falling from the sky was actually plastic
duckshooting006.jpg

There was a lot more open water than you can see in that picture but there was even more water than that, a lot was just covered in floating grass mats. Even out to where he's standing is water with grass over it.

The view from the other blind
duckshooting009.jpg

The picture really doesn't do justice to the mountains in the distance. It was a gorgeous view.

The dog was having a good ole time looking around, making sure she liked where all the dekes were and generally enjoying the water.
duckshooting010.jpg

This one came out a bit blurry but I had forgotten to charge my camera battery and when I tried to retake it, it was dead.
duckshooting012.jpg

After everything got cleared off and the dekes were set we had a bit of time before they started flying but there was plenty to watch with a couple kahus (a type of harrier hawk) patrolling the area along with magpies, swallows, a faintail that clearly didn't realize we were there, and some other birds.

Just before 5 the ducks started flying. We saw good numbers with some coming into us and some heading near the other blind. Our spot was a little less popular than the other blind that had more open water and another off the property but with some good calling we got a dozen or so to come in. I don't have a shotgun here but my buddy let me split time with him with his O/U. I hadn't shot a shotgun in about a year and hadn't been in a blind in even longer so I was pretty conservative on the shooting. I took two shots and got 1 mallard, the other two totalled 4 mallards and a parry for the day. The other blind dropped 14 mallards with 6 shooters IIRC.

The dog did a real nice job. After she had a good look around she found herself a nice spot in some tall grass in front of the blind to wait. After we finished up we dropped by the other blind and they had 3 ducks that their dog wasn't able to pick up so the flatty was recruited to help in the search. One of the absent ducks was actually retrieved just fine by their german shorthair lab cross and gave it to its owner but when he set it down on the table it jumped up and went running out the dog door much to everyone's amazement. The flatty promptly found one dead one, then found the escapee but it dove and was shortly picked up by the other dog. There was one more out in the middle of the pond kind of hidden by some brush and in the dark they couldn't get the dogs onto it. After a couple efforts to give lines through the darkness, one of the kids was sent in after it (the real reason you take kids duck hunting). He was pretty pissed when he had just walked far enough in to get water in his boots when the flatty noticed where he was headed and went straight out and got the duck. I swear she was sitting there waiting for him to get wet.

It was good fun and as much a social event as it was a hunt. My buddy is working on access to another place that will be awesome hunting.

The funniest part was this morning when we got up my buddy went out to get some stuff out of his pack which was in the truck. He was quite surprised when he found a hedgehog curled up inside! How it got in there, we have no idea.