• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Redding .260 series A neck die issues need help

Warbone

Private
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2011
Just discided to start neck sizing my savage lrp .260 remington.
Got a redding series A neck sizer this week, and have saved my lapua fireformed brass.
Using a hornady press. Set die up so it sizes the neck down to just above the top of the shoulder, then tested case in rifle it fit fine and ejected fine. So i seated a 142g smk to 2.800 oal and tested it on rifle.
Case was stuck and wouldnt eject. had to tap on the bolt slightly to get it out. This is where i found marks on the bullet. Almost like it was seated crooked. After trying several more and adjusting die i was still having same issues.
So i took these cases that where neck sized and FL sized then, seated bullet. they work fine and eject easily.

Is this just how neck sized case work, are the hard to eject if bullet hasnt been fired or is somethin wrong with the die?
Neck sized case ejects fine untill bullet is seated in it.
I think the mark on the bullet may just be from ejector pressure angling the case as it comes out but not sure. the mark on the bullet doesnt happen with a FL sized case.
outside diamiter of Neck sized neck is .295, and FL sized neck is .291, a fireformed case not sized at all is .299-.298.
Im at a loss as to why Neck sized bullet seated case is getting stuck.

Maybe someone out there has encountered this before and knows.

Thanks all.

Attachments

• DSCN0794.jpg
    DSCN0794.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
You still need to use a body sizer to bump the shoulder back and size the brass. I have found that you can get away with a once fired case and just a neck size without the case sticking. In any case you should always check the head space of the fired case to the known head space of the chamber before just neck sizing and loading. For most cases you want .001 to .002 bump back in the shoulder.

Not sure about the mark on the bullet?

i've been having the same exact problem with mine and was told my bullet/brass was not concentric. I have yet to track down the actual culprit but a new batch of brass solved the problem mostly i still have 3 cases that did it the last batch. I was gonna try one of the hornady dies with the fingers that keep your bullet straight to see if that helps.

Bird hunter, it sounds like your are saying the neck part next to the shoulder need to be bumpped back, is that the part that is sticking on the chamber with the bullet seated?

No, if you are just neck sizing you're not touching the body at all. Once you fire the cartridge the brass expands and over repeated firing without sizing the body of the case its going to get stuck in the chamber. The bumping I am referring to is the shoulder of the brass. These two steps can be accomplished with a body die. It is designed to be used in conjunction with a neck die. Redding Body Die 260 Remington. Sinclair makes a bump gage to measure this. Sinclair Insert Style Bullet Comparator | Sinclair Intl. Hope this helps?