• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Redding 30-06 Die Issue

scottneh

Private
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2023
New Mexico
Looking for some advice on something I'm seeing with one of my Redding dies. I have been reloading a while now and have one set of Redding 30-06 Type S dies that I'm not sure if there is a die issue, a rifle issue or an operator issue. I have several other calibers and Redding dies and they all perform perfectly.

I have my dies set up on an XL750 and use it in a semi progressive fashion. I'm reloading for a 1944 Smith Corona A3-03 and Argentine Mauser. When I reload, I have a Case gauge and have found that only a 3rd of my rounds will fit in the case gauge and fully chamber in the Mauser. The rest will chamber in the A3-03 only. Both rifles are reasonably accurate with the ammo discrepancy.

I can see the brass go fully into the sizing die, there are no scratches on the brass or neck damage and the bullet is well seated. I haven't checked case dimensions yet but I'll do that this evening. Just curious if the A3-03 chamber is wore out hence accepting anything or if the Mauser is exceptionally tight. Or am I doing something wrong with my set up?

How about brass? Does military 30-06 have a slightly larger base than commercial brass?

...and clarifying "semi-progressive" I'm loading with H4350, so I resize and prime in the press, load the powder charge in a tray with an electronic powder dispenser (50 at a time) and then re-insert in the press and continue.

You should separate the cases for each chamber and then compare fires to sized dimensions. Otherwise everything is speculation.

Sounds like a headspace issue. If one rifle has a short headspace then you’ll have to change your die setting and if you can’t then go to a slicker lube to get that extra couple thou of shoulder bump.

Reactions: lash and Stevo86
I have the same issue with a Hornady FL die and a Savage Hog 308. The cases go completely into the die, but they won’t chamber in the Hog. The same die works for all my other 308’s without issue. I have a RCBS X die that does push the shoulder back enough to chamber in the Hog, barely. I bought the Hornady headspace comparator to see what’s going on and found that the Hog has a tight chamber. I suspect you may have the same issues. I think Redding sells shell holders with various thicknesses that allow more or less shoulder bump. I just happened to have a different manufacturer’s FL die on hand and found that it would work.

I have the same issue with a Hornady FL die and a Savage Hog 308. The cases go completely into the die, but they won’t chamber in the Hog. The same die works for all my other 308’s without issue. I have a RCBS X die that does push the shoulder back enough to chamber in the Hog, barely. I bought the Hornady headspace comparator to see what’s going on and found that the Hog has a tight chamber. I suspect you may have the same issues. I think Redding sells shell holders with various thicknesses that allow more or less shoulder bump. I just happened to have a different manufacturer’s FL die on hand and found that it would work.

Redding competition shell holders only provide less shoulder bump, never more.

Reactions: KYAggie and lash