• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Redding.308 bushing problem???

sniper7mm

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2007
Huntingtown, MD
First time using my Redding comp bushing dies, have always used standard FL dies in the past. I am using Blackhills match brass (Win) When they were loaded from the factory they measured .333"-.334" so I ordered a .332 bushing.

I just ran a few through the die and checked the inside neck diameter, it was .302" WTF, I was expecting .306"-.307" Can someone tell me what I did wrong? Isn't .006" a bit to much neck tension? Bye the way I did check to make sure they sent the correct bushing. It says .332 on it.

The only other bushing I have is a .338" that I ordered for my FGMM brass that measured .339"-.340" when it was loaded. Will I have the same problems with these to?

What size bushings are you guys running with Win and Fed brass? Sorry for all the questions.

Re: Redding.308 bushing problem???

The bushing will depend on your brass. Lapua/FC > 0.336", Hornady/Winchester > 0.332"

To determine the proper size, measure the neck OD of a loaded case and subract 0.002" for bare bullet and 0.003-0.004" for moly coated bullets.
This is what i was told by another hide member. Works great for me. I used .332 on my black hills cases

The inside can be a difficult thing to measure without good tools and unless you know for sure there are no inconsistencies in the edge of the neck....previous crimps, slight dents, a curled edge possibly caused by the bushing(which I ignore). I would ignore the inside dimension.

You can tell everything you need to know, for sizing purposes, from the outside.

Measure the outside of a sized neck, then the same thing after seating....on a few different cases.
These dimensions are what you should use to make decisions on bushing size.

Thanks for the input. Me thinks I found the problem. The fired brass measured .344" I was sizing it to much in one pass. Tried the .338" bushing than the .332 bushing and it works out much better. Now it measures .305"-.306" I can live with that.

Why we are on the subject, do you guys size the whole neck or just a portion of it?

Try both partial and a shoulder see what you think for yourself keep records on how and what you did and how it shoots.

I do have some advice for you that I SURE WISH someone new to tell me long AGO.

When you step down on the first bushing pass go father down the neck than the second bushing pass and if you use a 3rd do the same again. stagger it in simple terms.

If not you may very well start creating a donut with the different bushing at the same end point if all is not perfect.

I have lapua fired neck .345 loaded .337 I use two bushing one .339 and one .336 ..