• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Redding .308 dies

3blackdogs

Private
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2012
stuck in NY
New to reloading. Just got a RCBS press setup on my bench.. Now I am researching dies. I would like to hear good bad on the Redding Deluxe 3-Die Set. Anything else I should be looking at. Any pointers for setting them up? Sorry for newb question. All new to me.

That set is nice for every day loading. Just depends on the type of shooting and the amount of rifles with the same chambering.

Since you have not purchased yet, consider a Redding bushing die, (either neck with seperate body die, or FL bushing) and a competition seating die.

The seating die has a micometer on top, this helps to properly set seating depth with various bullets.

The bushing sizer is easier on the brass and provides a more consistent neck tension. Now that claim is based on regular non neck turning reloading.

Also get yourself a "bump" guage, either the Hornady cartridge headspace or a RCBS precision mic (or equivilent), you will need this for proper die setup.

The bushing size will depend on the brass and bullet you are using and the desired amount of neck tension. For me I use RP and Lapua brass and have bushings from 334 to 337.

Homework:

Research: Neck tension, Headspace, Case head space, datum, Seating depth/pressure.

Last edited:
The 3 die set has a f/l, nk, and seater with a crimp ring. I wouldn't get this set because the dies don't have bushings and the seater doesn't have a mic. That is just me. Personally, I would get a 2 die set that includes a comp seating die and f/l bushing die; the type s f/l die set. However, if you don't want a bushing die nor care much about the seater mic, Redding does have a 2 die set that includes the f/l die and standard seater. I'd get that over the 3 die set because I don't think you would make much use of the neck die. At least I don't recommend you use a neck die.

If you're on a tight budget, the "S" die with bushings is where I would go. You CAN sneak by without the Micrometer Top seating die. But I would get it as soon as budget allows.

As for the bushings. Don't get the .0005" (half thousandths) increments. Even shooting benchrest, I couldn't tell a difference with 5 tenths steps. I'm sure there are a few shooters here that will want the .0005" different steps in the bushings. But I never could tell a difference.

The Hornady headspace / chamber guage is the "Stoney Point" guage. Hornady bought the design some years back.

Good luck.

If you're on a tight budget, the "S" die with bushings is where I would go. You CAN sneak by without the Micrometer Top seating die. But I would get it as soon as budget allows.

As for the bushings. Don't get the .0005" (half thousandths) increments. Even shooting benchrest, I couldn't tell a difference with 5 tenths steps. I'm sure there are a few shooters here that will want the .0005" different steps in the bushings. But I never could tell a difference.

The Hornady headspace / chamber guage is the "Stoney Point" guage. Hornady bought the design some years back.

Good luck.

If he stays with Redding bushings, they only come in .001 increments. However, most Redding bushings are undersized by a half thousandth, so a 337 bushing will yield approximately 3365. I do have some bushings that are spot on, but more than half of them are undersized. That's the way Redding cuts them.

THanks guys. I need to do some "homework" before I buy anything. I would like to do it once. So I need to understand this all this in more depth before I reload my first bullets. Wow alot to all this have been researching loads and reading my Hornady 9th edition and speer #14 relaoding manuals. Any suggestion on more info on setting up dies and all the other thing mentioned.

Get the dies first, then we'll talk about setting them up.