• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Redding broken seating stem??

aka_Aquaman

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2018
Dawsonville, GA
I was seating bullets using a redding competition seating die and realized that I started to get very inconsistent seating depths. I opened up the die to find that the little c-clip was broken and the top lip on the seating stem was sheared off. Anybody ever have this issue with a redding seating die?

Also a little damage was located on the top of the inner sleeve where the seating stem sits. Should I buy a new seating die or can I just get a new seating stem?
20220121_165846.jpg
20220121_165902.jpg
20220121_165924.jpg
20220121_170040.jpg

Id be in contact with Redding before I purchased anything and see what they can do for you.

Reactions: spife7980
Redding has solid customer service ... they'll do whatever you need to fix it.
Side question ... what kind of pressure is it taking to seat your bullets? That should only happen in "brute force" seating operations.

Reactions: wpgk58
Redding has solid customer service ... they'll do whatever you need to fix it.
Side question ... what kind of pressure is it taking to seat your bullets? That should only happen in "brute force" seating operations.
Really not hard at all to seat. Im using brand new 6.5CM Lapua brass with the necks expanded for .001" neck tension.

Its a used die set and I dont know how much the person before me reloaded. I opened it up and cleaned it out before I started using it. Everything looked fine then. I only got through about 90 rounds before I noticed big inconsistencies in seating depth.

Really not hard at all to seat. Im using brand new 6.5CM Lapua brass with the necks expanded for .001" neck tension.

Its a used die set and I dont know how much the person before me reloaded. I opened it up and cleaned it out before I started using it. Everything looked fine then. I only got through about 90 rounds before I noticed big inconsistencies in seating depth.
That's really an odd thing to break. I've popped the clip off and on a couple of times to tap out a stuck case, and it's always been solid. The only thing I can imagine is that the last guy muscled it to the point of failure, and you were just the "victim" when it finally broke. At this point, I'd be concerned about the integrity of the rest of the die, and would probably ask Redding to swap it out. It's worth asking ... even if they say "No".

Reactions: Baron23
BTW ... I have a spare lightly used Redding 6.5-CM seating stem. If you can't find a solution that hits your time constraints, DM me and I can get it headed your way.
Hey Rusty - just curious...how do you know its a 6.5 CM die that he needs. I don't see him specify the caliber in this thread??

I mentioned that I was using 6.5cm brass
Cool...but not in this thread or am I going blind? haha

I run a Redding Comp seating die with the VLD stem in it and its been flawless so far.

Good luck and I hope Redding does something good for you but I rather agree with the speculation that the previous owner ham fisted the hell out of it.

Cool...but not in this thread or am I going blind? haha

I run a Redding Comp seating die with the VLD stem in it and its been flawless so far.

Good luck and I hope Redding does something good for you but I rather agree with the speculation that the previous owner ham fisted the hell out of it.
I specified on Post #5. What bullets are you using with the vld stem? Im using Hornady 140gr ELDM

I love Redding Customer Service.
I lost the c clip when cleaning my dies and called them. They sent out two within a few days.
Give them a call. They will take care of you.

I specified on Post #5. What bullets are you using with the vld stem? Im using Hornady 140gr ELDM
Yep, blind! haha

I did "control f" which brings up the webpage search function and entered 6.5....but you had 6.5CM with no space so I missed it.

And, yep, I'm blind! haha

Been running Berger 140 hybrid targets. I needed to get the longer stem to use it with these bullets.

Did you adjust this die to have some "cam over" at the end of the stroke?
1642811845742.png

Oops, cam over hard against the shell holder may well be the source of your problem.

Now this is for the Competition Seating Die that I use....with the micrometer on the top and the inner sleeve. They make a "regular" seating die, they are shown on Midway's site, but they do not have the inner sleeve that compresses and which you showed in your OG post as one of the damaged parts. So, I'm assuming you have the same as me...the micrometer seater in which case the instructions above are applicable and no...you should not have any cam over.

Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: ShtrRdy
Awesome, I will let you know if I can't figure something out. I really appreciate it.👍
Full Disclosure ... is the "stock" seating stem that came with the new die. I shoot Berger 140 Long Range Hybrid Target bullets, that need the VLD seating stem ... hence the spare stem.

Yep, blind! haha

I did "control f" which brings up the webpage search function and entered 6.5....but you had 6.5CM with no space so I missed it.

And, yep, I'm blind! haha

Been running Berger 140 hybrid targets. I needed to get the longer stem to use it with these bullets.

View attachment 7790234

Oops, cam over hard against the shell holder may well be the source of your problem.

Now this is for the Competition Seating Die that I use....with the micrometer on the top and the inner sleeve. They make a "regular" seating die, they are shown on Midway's site, but they do not have the inner sleeve that compresses and which you showed in your OG post as one of the damaged parts. So, I'm assuming you have the same as me...the micrometer seater in which case the instructions above are applicable and no...you should not have any cam over.

Cheers
Hmm, I've been reading around and it seems that most people do not set their seating dies with any cam over. I definitely wont set it up that way again.

I just dont understand how cam over would cause my issue. The shell holder bottoms out on the body of the die so the inner sleeve shouldn't be able travel upwards anymore than it needs to.

Either way it doesnt appear to be beneficial to have cam over on the seating die, so I wont be doing that again. I appreciate the help, I probably should read the directions next time 😂

Hmm, I've been reading around and it seems that most people do not set their seating dies with any cam over. I definitely wont set it up that way again.

I just dont understand how cam over would cause my issue. The shell holder bottoms out on the body of the die so the inner sleeve shouldn't be able travel upwards anymore than it needs to.

Either way it doesnt appear to be beneficial to have cam over on the seating die, so I wont be doing that again. I appreciate the help, I probably should read the directions next time 😂
Uh yeah, what you say makes sense...but I go to that part in the instructions that says to back off the micrometer (the inner sleeve) .010-.015 from the shell holder or you break shit....and, you (or the OG owner) broke some shit so there is that. hahaha

Best of luck...and yeah, those pesky instructions! haha

Cheers

Reactions: ShtrRdy
I broke the stem in my Redding .308 die, it was also the standard size. I bought the standard and a VLD stem from Midway.

I did contact Redding when this happened, and they gave me the part numbers for the stems.......