• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Redding bushings?

hunter81

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2009
HOME
I'm buying Redding bushings for 338 ultra mag.The problem is rem brass sucks neck run out is .300 to .900 off and all you can buy is rem brass. Will the bushings still work after I trim the necks? Should I buy all the bushing sizes .362 .363.364.665?

Re: Redding bushings?

You have to run the brass over an expander for your measurements to be realistic.

The bushings you will need are determined by the neck wall thickness. If you have a means for measuring it, then bushing choice is simplified. If you have your die set, go ahead and seat a bullet; you will want to select a bushing that is less than the outside diameter of the neck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The problem is rem brass sucks neck run out is .300 to .900 off </div></div>

I hate to be picky, but 0.300" runout on a 0.338 ID neck is so far off as to be completely useless. That cartrige could not even be chambered. 0.900" is out of round more than the case is wide!

Depending on your requirements, a Redding competition neck sizing die might help a lot. In this die, the case is supported during the sizing operation on the neck. This reduces runout--maybe to the point you no longer have to worry about it. Alternately, you could trim the necks so that the walls is equally thick circumfrentially.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and all you can buy is rem brass. Will the bushings still work after I trim the necks? Should I buy all the bushing sizes .362 .363.364.665? </div></div>

You will have to decide on this after you decide on whether the necks need a trim or not. Measure a loaded cartrige in 3 places around the neck and average. Then buy a bushing 0.002 smaller than this number (tactical 0.001 benchrest, 0.003 semi-auto).

Then mesure the obturated neck diameter (that's the neck after being fired). IF this is more than 0.006 larger than the first bushing, buy a second bushing 1/2 way between the obturated neck diameter and the final sizing bushing.

Sorry I met the neck thickness was .003 to .009 off factory shit ammo allows for .005 That is what I was trying to say maybe I got a bad batch.