• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Redding Carbide Ball in Forster Die???

PLeighton

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 25, 2007
NE North Carolina
www.l8ntactical.com
I am in the process of getting setup for 300 BLK and at this time only Forster Dies are available for this SAAMI spec.
Throughout the years I have become very fond of Redding Dies and really like the results I get when using the Redding Carbide expander ball.
(Since is free floats on the stem, it does not induce any run out issues & carbide = no lube required.)
My preference would have been to purchase the Redding Type S competition die set, but alas, no such animal at this time.

So, I purchased the Forster Ultra Die set in 300 BLK and notice that the expander ball is fixed.
(In also will require polishing to get better results.)
Does anyone know if the Redding ball can be made to work on the Forster stem?

FWIW,
Not looking for a Forster vs. Redding or Expander Ball vs. No Expander ball debate.
Thank you for any and all constructive suggestions.

Re: Redding Carbide Ball in Forster Die???

The Forster expander ball is fixed, but it's positioned higher on the stem where the case enters the neck. Forster does that to lessen the run out. Load a few rounds and see how it compares to the floating ball on the Redding die.
Just a suggestion, not a debate.
grin.gif

Hmm...
I'll play with things a bit.
At the very least polish the hell out of the ball.

I'm so accustom to the Redding S bushing dies that that anything other than that setup makes me suspect.
With the floating bushing and ball + Micrometer seating die I haven't had any run out issues with my 308 loads.

Polished the die and Forster ball this weekend to a mirror finish as per the article in Sierra's X-Ring Volume 7, Issue 4.
http://www.sierrabullets.com/index.cfm?section=techservice&page=xring&volume=7&issue=4
It came out pretty nice.
By keeping the ball loose on the threads the ball is able to float slightly as well.
I think that I may be able to achieve similar results as the Redding Carbide ball as long as it doesn't tighten up on me.

I'll post up the results later this week when I have a chance to make some 300 BLK brass & reference cartridges.

Thanks for the info and the link.
I'll try that!