• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Redding comp die scarring brass

Danimal35

Private
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2020
I have a Redding 6 creedmoor sizing die and all of a sudden out of nowhere it started scarring my Alpha brass bad enough that my fingernail would definitively catch on it. I've reloaded 900 rounds with the die and after inspecting random pieces from my 300 lot that I've had in rotation, it doesn't appear it has been doing it until I just sat down to reload it's 4th reload on this brass and the first 2-3 didn't feel right. I inspected the brass and noticed the sizable scarring. I tried to oil it and use a nylon and brass brush to clean it out and it helped a little but I still don't like the results.

Anone else have this issue and what was your solution? I'll attempt to post pictures but it's hard to get it to focus well enough to see clearly.

Pics attached.

Attachments

• 14F31A18-F8B2-42E4-AB9D-D6FB44427FB6.jpeg
    14F31A18-F8B2-42E4-AB9D-D6FB44427FB6.jpeg
    152.5 KB · Views: 77
  • D41E71BE-86E5-4126-B73D-A725840BEC73.jpeg
    D41E71BE-86E5-4126-B73D-A725840BEC73.jpeg
    229.6 KB · Views: 75
Really....take it apart and clean with any decent gun solvent. For stuff like this, I like Birchwood Casey gun scrubber but you can use almost any volatile solvent.

THEN, lube the inside lightly with whatever you are using. I found this to be key for smooth operation right after cleaning.

Looks like you had some cases leaving behind brass deposits. This will continue unless its removed. Get some BoreTech copper eliminator. Let it soak for a while, then use some cleaning patches to scrub it out. Once your patches stop turning blue, it's gone.

Then season your die by putting case lube in it with a q-tip before using again.

Thanks for the tips on cleaning it out properly. I figured it was something simple but unsure if solvents were ok or not.