• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

redding competition dies

beergoggles

Private
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2008
hello, wondering if someone could help me figure out which redding competition dies i need. they will be for my .308 for F T/R competition, on grafs.com there are 8 different choices and i have no idea which one i need. can someone educate me, or point me to a website that can instruct me on this. thanks guys.

Re: redding competition dies

I got mine from Sinclair Redding Competition Die Set 308 W The representatives at Sinclair are very knowlegable and can be of great help in answering your questions.

Redding is a great choice, I wouldn't use anything else.

thanks guys, i think i will call sinclair int., they have a great reputation.

You can also call Redding direct and they are super nice. Before you order remember there are midway coupon codes on the hide that can save you money by ordering at midway. I just ordered the sets and it came out a lot cheaper.

awesome, thanks....this may be a stupid question, but where do i find the midway coupon codes on the hide? thanks berger king.

The same category you posted this thread there is a title "Midway Codes". If you scroll down you will find the current ones, good luck!

thanks man, i'm eat up with the dumbass apparently.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would recommend

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=271533

You need a bushing too for the sizing die, that size bushing will depend a little on your brass.
</div></div>
+1 This is what you need. Measure the OD of a loaded cartridge around the neck and buy two bushings: .002 & .003 less than this number.

You will also need a bunch of measure tools and may want an expanding mandrel, but this is beyond the scope of your question.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would recommend

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=271533
</div></div>

Thanks for that tip. I was looking at Redding Competition dies the other night for .338 lapua and was thinking the Type-S matched my needs. I only want a full length sizing die and a bullet seating die, so the 2 die set seems to be fit the bill perfectly.

I have the competition seater and use either the FL or NK sizer. What is the benefit to the competition sizer or bushing sizer that I might need in the future? Don't know so I'm just asking.

[/quote] +1 This is what you need. Measure the OD of a loaded cartridge around the neck and buy two bushings: .002 & .003 less than this number.

You will also need a bunch of measure tools and may want an expanding mandrel, but this is beyond the scope of your question. [/quote]
wow, i may be in a little over my head.

thanks for all the replies, as far the expander mandrel; i guess it would be dependent on the diameter of the rifle throat?

A mandrel is a "nice-to-have" replacement for the expander button on a sizing die. Most folks who use a full-length bushing die will remove the expander button. It is removed for several reasons.

The size of the mandrel is related to the bullet diameter and has nothing to do with your chamber. In practice, there are only two choices: an "expander" mandrel and a "turning" mandrel which are about .001 & .002" under bullet diameter respectively. The expander mandrel is only used when going for extremely light neck tension.