• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Redding competition neck sizing die runout

solst_ice

Private
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2012
I've checked the runout outside neck of some fired cases. Was between 0.001"- 0.0015". After that, I neck-sized them with my Redding competition neck-sizing die and a .336 bushing. Measured the runout again. Compared it to the measurement taken before. It has increased for a lot of cases. Sometimes up to 0.003" - 0.004" . I also tried a different bushing size and another die of the same type provided by my buddy. Same issue here. Shouldn't the neck be more consistent on the outside after the neck calibration?

I've checked the runout outside neck of some fired cases. Was between 0.001"- 0.0015". After that, I neck-sized them with my Redding competition neck-sizing die and a .336 bushing. Measured the runout again. Compared it to the measurement taken before. It has increased for a lot of cases. Sometimes up to 0.003" - 0.004" . I also tried a different bushing size and another die of the same type provided by my buddy. Same issue here. Shouldn't the neck be more consistent on the outside after the neck calibration?

I started off with a Redding bushing die and noted a lot of runout. I even invested in their no-lube required bushings plus sizing down in two separate steps. I was still seeing too much runout.

I ended up going with the Lee Collet Die for a fraction of the cost of the Redding package and haven't looked back. It does an excellent job of sizing necks with little if any runout and no lube is required in the necks. I only use case lube on the tapered fingers of the die about every 100 sizings.

I'm also using the no-lube bushings. I've heard from a lot of people, that they're pretty happy with the Lee collet. But how can you know the actual tension provided by the Lee die? Do you use different mandrels inside the die to modify the tension?

Is the bushing loose in the die allowing it to self center?

This is pretty standard for neck bushing dies that you didnt neck turn. Are you using the expander button? is the .003-.004 your Total Runout? Or actual Runout? If you measure the necks on a concentricity gauge and your getting .003-.004 thats your TIR and you have to divide that in half for your actual runout which would be .0015 - .002 which is typical.

If you really want to get your runout down use the neck bushing die with no expander then run them through an expander mandrel and you will see your total runout in the .0005 - .001

Or you could put the expander ball back in the die and use it as designed. I get damn near ZERO runout with mine in a Hornady ammo plant.