• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Redding Competition Seater Dies- No Comp. Loads

easternncnative

Private
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2010
northeastern NC
Just bought a set of Redding dies for .223- Type S Match Neck Die Set. There's now a big orange warning notice enclosed that states the micrometer seater die is not to be used with compressed loads and doing so will void the warranty. This is my third set of Redding Match dies but it's the first time I've seen this warning. I can see their point but this will pretty much kill a couple of my 77 gr SMK loads. (I load for bolt guns.)

Anyone had any issues or dealings with Redding on this?

Re: Redding Competition Seater Dies- No Comp. Loads

They've always said it somewhere. 24 grains of Varget is compressed with 77's. If you only load one bullet for one gun you can use the regular seating die or live with the fact that redding may not cover damage to your die.

That sounds harsher than it's meant to be. So far I'm around a thousand rounds on mine. Maybe think of it like barrel wear.

First I've heard of it. I use a Redding mic die, and all of my .308 loads are compressed.

I had this issue with my 223 Redding seating die. With their VLD seater, a compressed load will eventually flare the mouth of the seater and it won't slide freely in the die.

I've been able to make mine last by;

1. going slow
2. feeling the bullet seat with the press handle

You might also just keep an extra seater on hand and change it out when you see that your seater isn't sliding anymore

I've never heard of this. So, does the compressed load expand out the seater plug? I don't have their 223 mic seater, but have many other mic seaters of theirs.

Known issue. In order the seat the bullet by the ogive, the tool has to push on the bullet right-near the ogive. Thus the tool has marginal steel close to where all that force is being exerted, and if you just slam bullets home, more pressure exists tahn the tool-part can take. It distorts and the die quits functoning as intended.

I seat compressed loads all the time with a Redding competition bullet seater. Go slow, use the nerve endings in your lever arm to feel if too much force is being exerted, and you (too) can get a long life out of that tool-part.

Does the Redding Comp seater even seat the bullets at the O-give? I remember setting mine up for SMK to the desired length at the O-give, but when I use any other bullets, my O-gives are all over the place. That leads to be believe that the die seats at the tip.

If it did indeed seat at the o-give, it should seat them all the same for all the bullets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nessal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does the Redding Comp seater even seat the bullets at the O-give? I remember setting mine up for SMK to the desired length at the O-give, but when I use any other bullets, my O-gives are all over the place. That leads to be believe that the die seats at the tip.

If it did indeed seat at the o-give, it should seat them all the same for all the bullets. </div></div>

You have to buy the optional VLD seating stem.

compseaterd300h.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">COMPETITION BULLET SEATING DIE
“No seating die on the market is built to this level of precision.”

The Redding Competition Seating Die has quickly established itself as the “state of the art” in straight line bullet seaters.

This design has beat the concentricity problems inherent in all other seating dies of this type.

Tighter manufacturing tolerances have been made possible due to the details of the seating stem system. The bullet guide to seating stem fit is so precise that the seating stem can actually be demonstrated to “float” on a column of air.

The seating stem is precision ground to exactly match bullet diameter. No seating die on the market is built to this level of precision. Alignment and accuracy are enhanced by the cartridge case and bullet being completely supported and aligned in a close fitting, precision ground sleeve before the bullet seating begins.</div></div>
I am speculating here, but I don't like the .003" clearance between the Forster seating stem and the die bore.
I thought about buying or building larger seating stems and turning them down on the lathe to fit the Forster slider with tighter tolerance.
Then the Forster sliding shoulder positioning sleeve went off patent, Redding started selling one with add that say more precision.
Now I read this thread, and I am suspicious that Forster had a reason for making it sloppy. The thin lips of the bell shaped concave opening of the seater mouth can get deformed.
Why can't we make better concave seater stem shapes?
Ones that don't make rings on bullets, don't get bullets stuck in them, and don't have thin edges that can bend?

Well-known amongst the highpower service rifle shooting community.

The Redding will also leave a cosmetic ring about the ogive.

The Forster is far more durable and laughs at compressed .223/5.56 loads. The Redding seater may crack depending on how many rounds you've loaded.

Nessal...the ogive form and length from the base varies with each bullet. Can't be the same. You have to adjust with every bullet change. JMHO

Sounds like some invalid concepts of what the ogive is; ogive is the entire curved section, from full body diameter to the meplat, <span style="text-decoration: underline">not just the specific point of bore diameter</span>.

The further down the ogive a seating plug goes the thinner the cavity mouth is and the more likely it is to flare (or split) while seating heavy compressed loads. Conventional seaters contact the ogive up near the meplat. That leaves them quite thick at the cavily opening so they are very resistant to flaring/splitting. But, it also provides less precision in guiding the bullets. So, take your choice; a more rugged seater stem or better accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why can't we make better concave seater stem shapes?</div></div>

It ends up being a strength of materials question.

I suspect if you were willing to pay of some of the alpha-miraging metals and ground them to shape they could take to forces involved without deforming. So might some better steels, but then again, running the lever at the slowest possible rate also minimizes the forces being exerted and the potential for deformation.