• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Redding competition seater scratching bullets

Mauser48

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 17, 2018
Anyone have problems with this? Brand new dies. 223 caliber, when I seat a bullet the die scratches it right above the case neck. Attached is a picture of the first round. After about 10 rounds it is not nearly as bad. Now it is mostly just on one side of the bullet and not as noticeable. I wasn't able to get a picture of those ones as it wasn't bad enough for the camera to focus. I took the dies apart and cleaned them, still doing it slightly. Is it a burr inside or just from the way the die is machined? I wasn't able to see anything. This isn't exactly a cheap die set so I expect more out of it. Besides this it works excellent and is accurate. Is this a simple fix others have had experience with or should I let redding deal with it?

Attachments

• 20240217_165319.jpg
    20240217_165319.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 85
I’ve seen that as well as the ring above from having the wrong seating stem. Some bullets like the regular one and some like the “VLD” stem. I had similar issues with mine seating vld and ELD type rounds in 6.5/308’s

You may also notice it grab the bullet a bit and release when lowering the ram

Reactions: Dolomite
I’ve seen that as well as the ring above from having the wrong seating stem. Some bullets like the regular one and some like the “VLD” stem. I had similar issues with mine seating vld and ELD type rounds in 6.5/308’s

You may also notice it grab the bullet a bit and release when lowering the ram
When I first got the dies I took them apart to check the stem with the eld bullets. It seems to fit fine and the bullet tip doesn't contact the end of the stem. Vld still might be more optimal but not sure.

When I first got the dies I took them apart to check the stem with the eld bullets. It seems to fit fine and the bullet tip doesn't contact the end of the stem. Vld still might be more optimal but not sure.
See what others say as maybe it’s not your issue

The bullet won’t contact the end of the stem. It just engages the tangent or secant Ogive differently

Also when you look at the seating stems there’s long and short vld stems. There’s a chart to show what’s recommended for your rifle. I have several of both and have changed them based on what I’m shooting for bullets.

I’m just going to guess the stem you’re using is a standard stem. Probably not engaging the bullet soon enough causing it to shift and scratch the sleeve of the die. (Which you can try polishing as well)

The long vld stem may correct your issue. Every Redding comp die I bought comes with a standard stem. Even though the majority of bullets used today require you to buy the $15 or whatever it costs stem to seat properly

I’m not saying this is your issue. I’m just suggesting looking into it. Call Redding and ask them.

I had the same issues. The stem corrected this. One thing I’m using to gauge this not only the scratches lower on the bullet from it scuffing the die but the aggressive ring the seater left on the ogive of the bullet

The vld stem also gave me more consistent seating depth

Again your results may vary and others I’m sure will have suggestions

Reactions: Mauser48
Also when you look at the seating stems there’s long and short vld stems. There’s a chart to show what’s recommended for your rifle. I have several of both and have changed them based on what I’m shooting for bullets.

I’m just going to guess the stem you’re using is a standard stem. Probably not engaging the bullet soon enough causing it to shift and scratch the sleeve of the die. (Which you can try polishing as well)

The long vld stem may correct your issue. Every Redding comp die I bought comes with a standard stem. Even though the majority of bullets used today require you to buy the $15 or whatever it costs stem to seat properly

I’m not saying this is your issue. I’m just suggesting looking into it. Call Redding and ask them.

I had the same issues. The stem corrected this. One thing I’m using to gauge this not only the scratches lower on the bullet from it scuffing the die but the aggressive ring the seater left on the ogive of the bullet

The vld stem also gave me more consistent seating depth

Again your results may vary and others I’m sure will have suggestions
I will definitely give the other stems a look. I loaded some 77 smk today and the stem ring is less noticeable for sure due to the tangent ogive. I'll have to take another look at both rounds side by side.

Reactions: hafejd30
I will definitely give the other stems a look. I loaded some 77 smk today and the stem ring is less noticeable for sure due to the tangent ogive. I'll have to take another look at both rounds side by side.
Polish the inside of the seating stem. Put some abrasive polish maybe some JB on a bullet and try to polish it real good. Worked for me no more marks on the eldm bullets.

20240217_165319.jpg

The blue is from the seater stem not being perfect. It doesn’t look too bad.

The red I’ve only seen when pulling bullets and I’d call the manufacturer about. Something in the die is too small (and poorly finished) to be gouging the bearing surface like that.

Redding said they recommend the vld stem. Honestly I don't think the regular stem is too bad but I'll mess with it. They also said to try pushing the bullet through the seating stem hole to check for clearance. I didn't think about the stem being pushed up that far. Might just need to polish that out.

The red I’ve only seen when pulling bullets and I’d call the manufacturer about. Something in the die is too small (and poorly finished) to be gouging the bearing surface like that.
This is the correct answer

View attachment 8352723

That red is nasty, die must be really screwed up, did they give you a new die after seeing that?

Or, that lot of bullets is slightly oversize and is scratching. (NOT a seating stem issue.)
I would carefully examine the lip of the die where the bullet is inserted. perhaps a mild deburring/chamfering of the mouth with Craytex or some other mild abrasive. If it is a rough surface inside the bore of the seater, it should be replaced, not polished which would increase slop/tolerances.

I measured some hornadys and sierras I have. They were both .2243. The bullet does slip the the stem guide freely. I couldn't see or feel a burr. Just by letting it fall through by hand a few times some light marks were formed on the bullet. I think I need to just try to polish that area to a mirror finish. The copper jackets are pretty delicate.

What part of that particular seating die actually needs to touch that surface?
I have a Forster bench rest die and a Frankford universal seating die. I can see in the FA where the bullet can sit in the sleeve but I cant see it doing THAT to the bullet.

View attachment 8352723

^^^this is correct. The scratched area in red is the bullet’s bearing surface. It is the max diameter of the bullet. The seating stem should be nowhere near this. The seating stem normally contacts the ogive closer to the tip and in the vicinity of the red area. You have a die that is out of spec (too narrow) in the area of the sleeve that guides the bullet into the seating stem. The other alternative is that you have a bullet with a bearing surface larger than standard 223 bullets (.224 diameter)

Last edited: