• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Redding Competition Seating Die worth it for....

gau17

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2009
Valencia
Do you guys think this die is worth using for semi-auto (AR15). Should I just stick to the standard seating die?

I'm loading for a SPR MK12 Mod0.

Re: Redding Competition Seating Die worth it for....

If you already have comp seater, then sure- it can't hurt. If you are wanting to buy one, then I don't think you will tell the difference between the two seaters. If you are seating long and heavy VLD bullets, then some bullets tips will contact the standard seater plugs. I'd stick with the standard seater that comes in a die set.

It's handy if you often change bullet brands/types.

Record your settings in your reloading log and just dial it back in. This is what I do.

+1 handy for different bullets. Also easier to tune. Also depends on how much precision you are after. If you're not trying to control everything down to a nats ass then why start here.

Re: Redding Competition Seating Die worth it for..

Since you're using a magazine, your load-length is pre-determined for you; there isn't much room for experimentation. I'll suggest that you economize and use the non-micrometer Forster seater die. It has the alignment sleeve like the Redding, which is the primary virtue of these dies. The run-out on the bullets will be more consistent. These dies are of similar quality, each having a contingency believing that their favored choice is the better die. You won't be giving anything up.

I only use the comp dies for bolt guns. For my AR I use bullets with a cannalure and crimp. But that's me.

If I already had it. I might use it. If not, I wouldn't spend the extra money for it. I'd get another couple of cans of powder.

I use one for 600 yard AR ammo.

I load a few different .223 bullets on my Dillon 550b. The standard Dillon seater was putting a little "crimp" mark about 1/10" below the tip of Hornaday 55g Vmax bullets that I was unable to adjust out with the die.

I have had very good results with my Redding .308 comp die set so I broke down and bought the .223 seater. The little crimp mark went away and it just feels like a much more precise instrument. It's especially nice that I can record the settings for the various bullets that I use. For me it was worth the extra $. Anything to make the reloading process smoother, faster, less frustrating, more fun and satisfying is generally worth it for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use one for 600 yard AR ammo.</div></div> Ditto, works great for 600yd slow fire for single load with the 80gr SMK.

I believe in good seater dies and I use a Forster Bonanza Ultra Micrometer Seater on a Dillon 550 for .223, getting good results. If you splurge on one thing in handloading it might be for a good seater die.

If it ain't seated right, it ain't gonna shoot right!

If your going to use it for a bolt gun as well as your AR then for sure its a lot more accurate and faster ...you might be using different bullets in your AR and the bearing surfaces are a lot different and this would be helpful ...been there and done that ....go comp seater if you have the coin

I hope so I just pulled the trigger on one. My main reason for purchase was the micrometer adjustment, it'll save alot of time. I currently use a Dillon, nothing wrong with it just went for the extra bells and whistles. I load for my RRA 24" BB, I'm going to load some 80gr's so technically it'll be my bolt gun.

Good choice ... you love it and the resale on it will be lots better than a plain jane