• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Redding Competition VLD seater stems - LONG or STANDARD?

RyeDaddy

Dickhole
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2009
Hellbound in Fort Worth, TX
I need a VLD seater stem for a Redding Competition seater (die already has micrometer adjust and sliding sleeve)
Brownells/Sinclar sells 2 versions of the stems, long or standard length each with a unique part number.

Anybody know the difference and which one I need? Searching turns up nothing useful and I didn't find anything on Redding's site either.

Sinclar Intl doesn't know and Redding has been closed the entire week for Thanksgiving and hunting season.

Update for anyone who searches and finds this thread in the future: Called Redding and they said 6.5 SLR, 260 Rem and 6.5 Creedmoor all take the long VLD seater stem

Last edited:
Reactions: country888
It depends on the caliber. I know that for .308 win you need the long version. Same for 300 wsm. The 30-06 uses the standard one. 223 Rem uses the long one also. That's the only ones I know for sure.

Yeah, Redding doesn't include the vld seater with their seating dies. Call Redding and they will
Set you up. Or, switch to Forester dies that DO have the correct seater stem for no extra
$. I switched!

You give good advice High Right. I had all Redding dies when I first started reloading and eventually sold them all off for Forster, which I love and I buy nothing but Forster now(except this one set). Their seater is a thing of beauty. No marks on noses of bullets, 0.001 on the micrometer gives you exactly that much movement in seating depth unlike Redding AND they can be set to zero easily.

Unfortunately, Forster isn't producing custom dies anymore. Caliber is 6.5 Super LR, which meant I could buy Redding dies ready to go from 6mmAR.com, or custom order a set from Whidden which I didn't want to wait for. In this case I am stuck.

If Forster starts doing custom dies again I'd order from them in a heartbeat.

This has me a little concerned. I have some RCBS FL dies and a Lee Collet Rifle Two-Die Set (Lee Collet Rifle Two-Die Set : Cabela's ). I also have some Berger VLD 175 gr bullets to load up.

Am I going to have issues with the bullet nose being too long, or will one of these set ups be ok with the longer bullets?