• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Redding Dies Issues

BuildingConceptsllc

Don't Start None, won't be none.
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 13, 2020
    Alabama
    So, as some of you guys know (because I've whined about it several times here), I've been waiting for 6 months to have my 6cm rifle complete so I can actually use it.... well that day was yesterday.

I went to start messing around with the load for testing ect... and installed the 6cm Redding dies (which I've had for months but never installed them since I was waiting on my bolt for such a long time). It was then that I noticed the 3 die set had a 6.5cm seating die, and the other 2 Dies were 6cm as they should have been.

So, I called Redding to see what the deal was and Mike is who I spoke with. He was polite and basically, He said "that is not correct, so send it back to us and we will send you the correct one".... Ok good so I asked how I needed to do that and he said just send it here and I will look at it and send you the correct one back". So to clarify I asked if he is going to give me an rma or something or is there a shipping method to use or what? He said no. I was very polite but I explained that I found this odd and that when my company screws up(everyone does from time to time) we fix it without asking our customers to pay for shipping something or anything else. I would say that procedure is the very standard way of dealing with mistakes or warranty issues. He stuck with the "no, you ship it here and we will ship the correct one back" . As I told him, I don't have much choice because I need the die to load so I'm going to send it but I find this to be very odd and I'm not very happy about doing it. I just shipped it off to them begrudgingly, but you can bet I will be much more careful in the future in checking what I bought. I really love their Dies and they are much better than others I've had but I expected a lot different answer about how to resolve this one. I've paid to ship them to me once already when I bought them and am now without any way to do anything with my 6cm and had to pay for the shipping to boot. It's not the money, I really don't care about that, it's that it appears they really don't care about that either!

Check Dies before you leave with them or when you get them and deal with the retailer unless you want to pay to ship their Dies back to them that is.

So my question in all of this is "can I seat a 6mm bullet with my 6.5cm die while I wait to get the load development started or is that just asking for trouble???

Try it and let us know. Who better to confirm than someone with the ability to confirm?

Ah, maybe pull the seating stem out, turn it upside down, and put a bullet in there point down. Now, where does the stem impact the bullet...if anywhere?

Just a thought.

I have been seating 6mm Credmoor ammo with a Forster 6.5 Creedmoor seating die for years.
    Works fine.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Baron23
    So my question in all of this is "can I seat a 6mm bullet with my 6.5cm die while I wait to get the load development started or is that just asking for trouble???
    It will work great, the bigger stem will grab the bullet farther down on the ogive, giving better concentricity and seat depth control. I just unpacked a type s set of 260 dies to load 243 with.

I have been seating 6mm Credmooe ammo with a Forster 6.5 Creedmoor seating die for years.
    Works fine.
    Ah ha! I thought it probably would work but I figured someone here has done it if it will work so I should ask. Thank you sir! I think I'm going to move to Forster too from here on out.

I ordered a Forester Ultra Micrometer Seater Die (6.5 Creedmoor) in October 2021 knowing there would be a 3 to 4 month delay. A couple of weeks ago I received an update and the expected ship date is 08/2023..........o_Oo_Oo_O Are you kidding me! Nearly a 2 year wait!!

Reactions: BirdEyes
    Most of the time when something is wrong with a new product I've bought I usually have to pay shipping to return the item. Occasionally the manufacturer will send me a shipping label.

I've had excellent results a couple times, back a number of years,with Reddings Customer Service.
    Sincerely hope that you have the same luck. if you decide to go that direction and not seat w/ the 6.5 seating die.