• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Redding FL resizing die.

silentnswift

Private
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2012
Kentucky
I have a Redding FL resizing die for .300 win mag. I am by no means a reloading expert, but also am not completely new to reloading. The Redding die is the only die I have ever gotten a case stick in. And since getting it and using it I have done this twice. From my experience and research the only reason a case should get stuck is lack of lube. So I was extra cautious last time. Anyone else ever have trouble with a certain die or brand of dies?

OK, what lube are you using? And stuck where? In the bottom stroke from the case head, or from the top stroke through the neck?

For fuck sakes, don't say Hornady One Shot.

Did you clean the die really well before use ? Are your cases very clean as a dirty case can grip the die .
What lube did you use and how did you apply it ? After cleaning the die very well inspect inside for any roughness Redding dies are usually very well finished . A handy tool to inspect inside dies is a cheap Doctors Otoscope the thing they use to look inside your ears .

Used rcbs lube and a lube pad, case was stuck on the bottom around the web. She’ll holder ripped the case head on the down stroke. Same issue both times. Have imperial wax on the way, but have always used a lube pad and brush, with rcbs lube in the past. Cases where tumbled not ultra sonic clean or anything.

I tried the RCBS lube & pad in the early 1970's. Got stuck cases and threw them both out. Been using Imperial, Spray lanolin, Mink oil in a can, Chap stick, Ballistol and synthetic oil or gear lube and haven't stuck a case in a very long time.

If you have any Mobil 1 synthetic oil, try that. Very light application.

Stuck cases are from improper use / application of lube.

Only other issue can be a very flimsy reloading bench that lets the press flex way too much.

Lack of lube was the only thing I could think of, but this is my first time with .300. Everything before was .243,.308 .25-06.

Not enough lube at the base because the belt held the case off the pad I reckon and the die could be dirty or have transport gunk in it . Been resizing with RCBS liquid for half a century with no issues . It's not the lube it's operator error or a crook die . Belted cases can be expanded just above the belt and be hard to size and you have to make sure lube is well applied . Go to a body die that way if you have any further problems you can just drop a rod inside the case at the open end of the die and tap it out as you move the press handle or slide the shell holder out . Redding die number 75153 https://www.redding-reloading.com/online-catalog/118-type-s-bushing-dies
If you tumbled the cases they will look shinny but can still be covered in a film of what ever is in the media if they are not wiped or washed off .
If the die can't get down to the belt as some can't then a collet die from Larry Willis is required http://larrywillis.com/

Last edited: