• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Redding Micrometer Adjustable Taper Crimping Die

Fire4EffectCA

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2019
I have never crimped my 308 loads that I shoot from my gas guns, but I would like to experiment. I picked up a Redding Micrometer Adjustable Taper Crimping Die a while back, but it is not clear to me how much crimp to dial in. Does anyone here have any experience with these? All of my brass is trimmed to the same length.

Attachments

• Resize 9475.jpg
    Resize 9475.jpg
    383.3 KB · Views: 28
The values on the thimble are comparative, not absolute, so you go by trial and error. The fine numbers just help you position the tool a little easier than a blank die.

Reactions: Fire4EffectCA
The values on the thimble are comparative, not absolute, so you go by trial and error. The fine numbers just help you position the tool a little easier than a blank die.

Thank you. I understand that it is trail and error. I was hoping for some feedback from someone who has actually used the die so I have a better sense of how much is too much. I have experimented with the die and pin gauges and have found that one full rotation of the stem reduces the case mouth ID by 0.002”. I started with a 0.306” ID and ended with a 0.304” ID.

Reactions: RegionRat
Thank you. I understand that it is trail and error. I was hoping for some feedback from someone who has actually used the die so I have a better sense of how much is too much. I have experimented with the die and pin gauges and have found that one full rotation of the stem reduces the case mouth ID by 0.002”. I started with a 0.306” ID and ended with a 0.304” ID.
This will depend on several variables that make it difficult to compare readings.
For example, the case length, the case wall thickness, the chamfer details, the bullet details, etc. As these change, so will your settings.