• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Redding Neck Sizing

syme71

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2005
New Jersey, Exit 10 on Turnpike
I have a .308 Redding neck sizing die using a titanium nitride bushing.

When I dial down the micrometer to the point I encounter heavier resistance, I get about .020" of the neck where it doesn't get resized (used a sharpie to determine how far bushing was sizing). I'm concerned that dialing down further will cause bushing to bump shoulder. Should I just let this be?

Re: Redding Neck Sizing

I think the directions state to raise the ram up without a cartridge in place. Turn the micrometer down as far as it will go without forcing it, then back off about .005". That is pretty much as far as you can go with a bushing. It will size about 90% of the neck. Some portion of the neck will not get sized due to the design of the bushing die.

Re: Redding Neck Sizing

Here's a quick copy from 6mmbr.com

If you do neck-size only, you should experiment with the bushing position. Some shooters get best results only sizing one-half to two-thirds of the neck.

The only purpose of neck sizing is to hold the bullet in place without over working the brass. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I haven't reloaded for the 308 yet but, will tomorrow!

Paul