• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Redding powder measure with Dillon 550/650

boss

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2005
Texas
Does anyone use this combination when reloading rifle rounds with powders like Varget, H4350, RL-17 etc? Looking for a faster way to produce tactical rounds for practice. Don't really need BR accuracy.

Re: Redding powder measure with Dillon 550/650

Are you talking about mounting the powder drop on the dillon, or just using it on the side? In either case, the redding powder measure won't really give you much of an edge over the dillon powder measure. Extruded powders are finicky with measuring. I use a BR-3, and I trickle each charge anyway.

Yes. I have been playing with the Dillon measure, added an UniqueTek Powder baffle to it. It still seems very sensitive to the whole process. I have to be very consistent in the speed of using the charging handle to get accuracy. They have several suggestions on improving accuracy that I have yet to try. I just thought that with the Redding measure dropping the charge when the handle is down, it might be more consistent.

In that respect, then yes, the redding might be slightly more consistent. But I have seen variance of up to almost a grain with the redding if the measure is bumped or shaken between drops. It is just inherent in a measure that drops charges by volume, which is every one on the market. Good powder measure though.

You may be able to hook up a Hornady or RCBS case activated linkage with with the Redding PM on your Dillon press. The handle on the Redding is a little different than the RCBS Uniflow or Hornady LNL measure, but it may be adaptable. I've seen several users that have replaced their Dillon PMs with Hornady or RCBS case activated PM/linkages for rifle powders.

Andy