• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Redding 'S' FS Die Question?

Leaddog

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2009
Delaware
I've been using these Redding Type S Full Sizing Dies for many years. They have served me well.

I have a quick question:

If I remove the internals of this die (bushing, etc) will the die function exactly like the Redding body-only die to size the body and bump the shoulder or do I need the body only die for more consistency?

Thank you.

Re: Redding 'S' FS Die Question?

If you remove the stem and bushing, it will be the exact same as a body die.

madd0c

Well, not exactly. The body die is sized so you can use a file and trim the now sized brass while it is in the press/die. Other than that, yes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchAlsup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, not exactly. The body die is sized so you can use a file and trim the now sized brass while it is in the press/die. Other than that, yes. </div></div>Hmmm... seems like an awkward way to trim to length. What am I missing here?
My question is the opposite. If I have the Redding Type S bushing neck sizer and body die combo, is there any need for a FL sizer die?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: targaflorio</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchAlsup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, not exactly. The body die is sized so you can use a file and trim the now sized brass while it is in the press/die. Other than that, yes. </div></div>Hmmm... seems like an awkward way to trim to length. What am I missing here?
My question is the opposite. If I have the Redding Type S bushing neck sizer and body die combo, is there any need for a FL sizer die? </div></div>

Your body die in that combo is your FL die, just not touching the neck. It will bump the shoulder to where you have it set, while not touching the neck.

Thanks Stanwood! This is my first move to neck sizing from full length. So to be clear, for brass fireformed in my chamber, neck size it to the desired neck tension and check to see if it chambers? If it chambers, then I am GTG? After another firing check the chambering again and when it starts getting tough to close the bolt, run the body die to bump the shoulder back?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: targaflorio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Stanwood! This is my first move to neck sizing from full length. So to be clear, for brass fireformed in my chamber, neck size it to the desired neck tension and check to see if it chambers? If it chambers, then I am GTG? After another firing check the chambering again and when it starts getting tough to close the bolt, run the body die to bump the shoulder back? </div></div>

That is correct. There are alot of variables on how many times you can get by with neck sizing only so it may be a couple or alot!

While you asked if there was a "need" for a FL die, it all depends on what you are loading for IMHO. If you are running only a bolt gun then you don't have to have one but if you are wanting to neck size for an auto its much easier to have a FL neck sizer also as it takes half the steps of neck sizing them and running it through a body die.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leaddog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been using these Redding Type S Full Sizing Dies for many years. They have served me well.

I have a quick question:

If I remove the internals of this die (bushing, etc) will the die function exactly like the Redding body-only die to size the body and bump the shoulder or do I need the body only die for more consistency?

Thank you. </div></div>

The big difference I have found is with the BD, you can bump the shoulder back on live rounds. A FL die you cannot because of the threaded narrow opening for the expander / decap rod.
I have tweaked many a live round when testing ammo fitted for one rifle to test in another.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RVS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The big difference I have found is with the BD, you can bump the shoulder back on live rounds. A FL die you cannot because of the threaded narrow opening for the expander / decap rod.
I have tweaked many a live round when testing ammo fitted for one rifle to test in another. </div></div>
What caliber? I'm pretty sure I've bumped the shoulder on some .223 Rem loaded rounds. But I can see where that would be true for larger caliber rounds.

I have used the BD to bump a couple of loaded 308 rounds that were only fired a couple of times and neck sized that would not chamber in my snug chambered rifle. Worked fine for that and saved me disassembling them. It worked so well, I bought another BD in .223 Rem.